Beginners and Beyond

SUN ... SUN ... SUNDAILIES! (Read 43 times)

Docket_Rocket

Not bad.  Bad was my weather when Bruce was posting about their cold weather.  I was sorry to report hot weather, haha.

Phil, have fun at the wedding.

Rick, I know how I'll handle it. I've already told my boss and his wife that, for the rest of the month, I will not guarantee that I'll be at work before 9:00 a.m.. I've spread the word among friend with kids that I will not child-mind for any reason. (Except for one, the reaction has been "Good for you!") I'm not going to a social event tonight, so I can have the choices of squeezing in a short run or just relaxing.

Damaris, excellent eight-miler, but why is running in a bra bad?

I'm heading out for my LR. Later, people:*

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

It's I, the lost sheep. Sorry for abandoning you all lately. Busy and grumpy is just a bad combo for me. I'm pacing a half marathon today. My body feels good at the moment, so I'm hoping it doesn't set me back any. Enjoy your runs folks.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

YAYpril - B-Plus

Morning! 5 recovery miles for me at some point today. I just finished grocery shopping so I'll be lazy for a bit.

Docket_Rocket

Good luck with the pacing duties!

It's I, the lost sheep. Sorry for abandoning you all lately. Busy and grumpy is just a bad combo for me. I'm pacing a half marathon today. My body feels good at the moment, so I'm hoping it doesn't set me back any. Enjoy your runs folks.

April, have fun with the recovery run.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

You're good.  Today's run is probably just what the doctor ordered for ya.  Try to enjoy just running.

Zelanie

Morning!  I woke up already saying positive things to myself about being ready for my race!  Hope that lasts!  One mile shakeout complete, breakfast is done, now it's time to get ready for my first half!

I also made the local paper.  They are doing a few stories about running to go along with today's race.  The article is mostly right, except for the typo in the caption and I walked my first 5K two years ago, not last year (but I did start running last year).

Here is the link.  Complete with floater picture!

Phil- I don't know, I love having two dogs.  We had just one for a while, and I prefer two.  They are so good with each other!  We had three for a while, but that was too much.  I like two, though!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hugs to Phil.

Zelanie GOOD LUCK!!!! I'm going to go look at your article now Smile that is so cool.

Boston is tomorrow.....eeeeek good luck Boston runners!!!

AFM- I have 3 easy miles on tap. I don't have much to do today other than chore and errand stuff, so I'm not in a rush to get out the door. I want it to warm up a little so I can wear a skirt, because it is sunny and supposed to get up to the mid 60s.

A few questions for you guys.... so I decided to sign up for a 5K next Sunday. I had it tentatively in the schedule but didn't register... it was going to be my "second chance" race if I fell short of sub-30 in my 5K last weekend. Since I reached that goal, I'm unsure how to approach this race. I decided to do it because it is for a really good cause (raising money for America's VetDogs which provides service dogs, guide dogs and therapy dogs to veterans with disabilities), is near my boyfriend's house and he would come to the race with me and participate in the dog walk that is going on as part of the event with his doggie and it should be a fun day. As you all know, I have an injury history and don't want to push it by running all-out 2 weeks after an all-out 5K. Also, I decided that I need to make sure I stay on track with base building and building up my long runs because I have a 10K in 5 weeks and a 10 miler in 2 months. If I was going for an all-out effort in attempts to PR next Sunday at the 5K that would probably mean extra rest days. I want to do a 5 mile LR  the day before the 5K. Any advice on how to approach the 5K as not to get in the way of training for my 10K next month? Progression run? Just run it easy and have fun?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

Any advice on how to approach the 5K as not to get in the way of training for my 10K next month? Progression run? Just run it easy and have fun?

I race every two weeks and have been for the most part since I began running.  So long as your injuries are nice and cleaned up, and you are running your fair share of easy miles, I see nothing wrong with it.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Awesome article Zelanie! Great pics too! I am impressed that the person writing the article really seemed to take the time to capture what running means to you, why you run, why you enjoy it, what your goals are and tie it into the "trend" of road races in general, and didn't say anything hair brained like confusing a half marathon with a marathon, or saying "5K marathon" or asking an Olympian if they've ever run before, or calling people training for the Boston marathon 5 weeks before the race "ambitious". I have little faith in media covering running, but this article is really really nice!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

GC100k

Crap.  The local marathon is today.  I'd forgotten about it but apparently they changed the course and there's now a turnaround at the end of my street.  I was driving and had to stop and wait for runners to pass.  I could see them from my front yard if I wanted to.  It's a gorgeous day and they're racing and I'm not,  Crap.

After my marathon in November, I thought of rolling the training back over and trying for a good time in this one.  But a lot of very heavy life issues stole my time and motivation and I've gotten really out of shape.  Days like today make me wish I'd just kept it rolling.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Crap.  The local marathon is today.  I'd forgotten about it but apparently they changed the course and there's now a turnaround at the end of my street.  I was driving and had to stop and wait for runners to pass.  I could see them from my front yard if I wanted to.  It's a gorgeous day and they're racing and I'm not,  Crap.

After my marathon in November, I thought of rolling the training back over and trying for a good time in this one.  But a lot of very heavy life issues stole my time and motivation and I've gotten really out of shape.  Days like today make me wish I'd just kept it rolling.

Sorry Sad

Docket_Rocket

Sorry, GC.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

LRB

Guess I should get off my ass and go run.  Is that what you're telling me?  Good.

GC100k

Sorry, GC.

Thanks.  I need to have a goal.  Jan 2012 I found myself doing maybe one or two half-assed runs a week and well over 300 lbs, so I decided I would rejoin my old noon basketball game and dunk on my 50th birthday in August (done) and I registered for the Tulsa marathon in November (done, but not < 5 hrs like I'd hoped).  Since then I haven't had a goal.

So my new goal is a sub 2 hr half-marathon in November of this year.  I'm going to be out of the country for two months this summer and I move and start a new job in the fall, so I don't think I can commit to a marathon, but I figure I'll be able to train for a half.  I estimate I'll have to drop about 40 lbs to break 2 hours (get down to ~240).  I never ran a half when I was in good shape, but I ran 2:10 the first half of my best marathon and I've run 23 min for 5k and 52 min for 10k.  Those were more than a decade ago and at about 240 lbs, so as I get closer I'll see if <2 hr is realistic.

I also made the local paper.  They are doing a few stories about running to go along with today's race.  The article is mostly right, except for the typo in the caption and I walked my first 5K two years ago, not last year (but I did start running last year).

Here is the link.  Complete with floater picture!

Awesome! Our new RA B&B celebrity!

Good luck today, you are going to do great. You will be one of those people the article talked about smiling at 11-12.

Dave