Beginners and Beyond

SUN ... SUN ... SUNDAILIES! (Read 43 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

Yep. Go!

Guess I should get off my ass and go run.  Is that what you're telling me?  Good.

Docket_Rocket

Goals do help on getting out there.  So, keep it up.

Thanks.  I need to have a goal.  Jan 2012 I found myself doing maybe one or two half-assed runs a week and well over 300 lbs, so I decided I would rejoin my old noon basketball game and dunk on my 50th birthday in August (done) and I registered for the Tulsa marathon in November (done, but not < 5 hrs like I'd hoped).  Since then I haven't had a goal.

So my new goal is a sub 2 hr half-marathon in November of this year.  I'm going to be out of the country for two months this summer and I move and start a new job in the fall, so I don't think I can commit to a marathon, but I figure I'll be able to train for a half.  I estimate I'll have to drop about 40 lbs to break 2 hours (get down to ~240).  I never ran a half when I was in good shape, but I ran 2:10 the first half of my best marathon and I've run 23 min for 5k and 52 min for 10k.  Those were more than a decade ago and at about 240 lbs, so as I get closer I'll see if <2 hr is realistic.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Zelanie, that is awesome!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Oski, that was a sweet gesture to DH from you. Enjoy the workout(s) and pampering.

Damaris, don't feel sorry. Excessive humidity sucks.

SIAR, I hope that pacing goes well. It's great to see you.

AprilRunner, have a wonderful recovery run.

Zelanie, good luck!

kristin10185, because it's for a good cause, and because the distance is do short, just do it. Have fun.

GC100k, don't be so hard on yourself. Life happens. You did it. You can do it again, even better.

Rick, as my dad told me this morning, when I said that I was feeling lazy, "G-d didn't give you two legs so you could sit on your @$$ all day."

14.0 comfortable miles done in 2:13:20. 9:32 pace. Splits were:

Mile 1 - 9:58.48

Mile 2 - 9:49.35

Mile 3 - 9:50.58

Mile 4 - 9:32.78

Mile 5 - 9:38.20

Mile 6 - 9:41.58

Mile 7 - 9:29.60

Mile 8 - 9:33.16

Mile 9 - 9:35.58

Mile 10 - 9:36.11

Mile 11 - 9:19.71

Mile 12 - 9:13.31

Mile 13 - 9:09.55

Mile 14 - 8:52.09

This is a PR for me. To date, it's my longest run without fuel along the way. I took three sips from my Camelbak every two miles. That's it.

I never thought that my fat @$$ would be capable of this. I'm so happy, I want to cry.

LRB

12 miles at an 8:38 overall pace done.  And either I wore the wrong pair of gloves, should have worn two pair, or it is just too fuckin cold out there!   >:-/

Oski, that was a sweet gesture to DH from you. Enjoy the workout(s) and pampering.

Damaris, don't feel sorry. Excessive humidity sucks.

SIAR, I hope that pacing goes well. It's great to see you.

AprilRunner, have a wonderful recovery run.

Zelanie, good luck!

kristin10185, because it's for a good cause, and because the distance is do short, just do it. Have fun.

GC100k, don't be so hard on yourself. Life happens. You did it. You can do it again, even better.

Rick, as my dad told me this morning, when I said that I was feeling lazy, "G-d didn't give you two legs so you could sit on your @$$ all day."

14.0 comfortable miles done in 2:13.20. 9:32 pace. Splits were:

This is a PR for me. To date, it's my longest run without fuel along the way. I took three sips from my Camelbak every two miles. That's it.

I never thought that my fat @$$ would be capable of this. I'm so happy, I want to cry.

Nicely done Basya! What a great run and congrats on your PR!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

GC100k

The local marathon is today.  I'd forgotten about it but apparently they changed the course and there's now a turnaround at the end of my street.  I was driving and had to stop and wait for runners to pass.  I could see them from my front yard if I wanted to.  It's a gorgeous day and they're racing and I'm not,  

Think I saw first and last.  The turnaround at the end of my road was just before 19 miles.  Saw a women running by herself at about 2 hrs this morning.  She was on pace for under 3 hours and was likely 1st woman, maybe 1st overall since the race was won by a woman last year.  Then at about 4.5 hours (6.5 hr pace) they were folding up the timing mat after a group had just passed.

We also saw the peak at just past 3 hour (~4:15 pace).  There was a couple running together with matching t-shirts.  My wife said "maybe we should run a trail marathon together some time".  She's been a runner for 30 years (started before I did), but has never had any desire to run a race.  She, like me, never runs on roads and would only want to do a race that is scenic and on a soft surface.  We'll see.  She's very intense and has never goofed off or wasted time in her life, I kinda can't see her devoting hours to long runs.

Rubybaby43

enabler

14.0 comfortable miles done in 2:13.20. 9:32 pace. Splits were:

NICE!!  Those splits are superb, Baysa!  Runs that make you so happy that you could cry....they cannot be beat!

Nice run, Rick!!  Especially after busting your butt at that 5K yesterday!

GC, sorry your training has fallen by the wayside.  Maybe you need to write up some plans so that you can see them "set in stone"...but start easy so you can obtain some small goals!

Nice run, Damaris!!

Bruce, we are snowier than you over here in MN.  It's getting old.

Simple 5.75 for me today in the wind....which meant it really wasn't simple at all.  I could've wimped out and run on the TM, but if it's windy at next weekend's HM.... well, you all know how it goes.

KLO

more miles = more beer

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So.... 3 very easy/recovery paced miles done. My run started off horrible. Know how they always say don't try anything new on race day?? THANK GOD I decided to follow that advice!!! So today was one of the first runs that it was warm enough to finally try a new skirt I bought in March. It is a Nike skirt, super cute dark grey with pink and light grey lines going in all different directions. Also got a SS UA shirt the same shade of pink that day. Also have my new :"race shoes" that are pink and grey checked. Next weekend's race should hopefully be warm enough for an outfit like this, so since today was also warm-ish I decided to take it on a test run. SO GLAD I DID. The compression shorts under Nike running skirts don't actually compress anything. And they are really short. They immediately rolled up and made for a miserable start. So miserable I actually turned around and went home, knowing how quickly I was about to have crazy chafing. I put on dark grey "real" compression shorts under the skirt. They stuck out under the skirt but they are the same shade of grey so meh. SO MUCH BETTER! Finished my run without those pesky thunder thighs rubbing together and having to adjust every 30 seconds.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Rick, great distance, sweet pace.

GC100k, your wife sounds mighty cool.

Kristy, fantastic 5.75. I ran with wind smacking me in the face the entire way. To keep from cussing, I tried to think if it as impromptu resistance training.

kristin10185, I have two pair of short compression shirts. I keep them for weight training and cardio only. I can easily adjust then during those workouts.

Scott, thanks for the kind words. I didn't intend to do fourteen miles, but, as soon as I hit 13.1, I decided to keep going. I've reached my new LR distance for the next two to three weeks.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice run Basya!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Rubybaby43

enabler

So.... 3 very easy/recovery paced miles done. My run started off horrible. Know how they always say don't try anything new on race day?? THANK GOD I decided to follow that advice!!! So today was one of the first runs that it was warm enough to finally try a new skirt I bought in March. It is a Nike skirt, super cute dark grey with pink and light grey lines going in all different directions. Also got a SS UA shirt the same shade of pink that day. Also have my new :"race shoes" that are pink and grey checked. Next weekend's race should hopefully be warm enough for an outfit like this, so since today was also warm-ish I decided to take it on a test run. SO GLAD I DID. The compression shorts under Nike running skirts don't actually compress anything. And they are really short. They immediately rolled up and made for a miserable start. So miserable I actually turned around and went home, knowing how quickly I was about to have crazy chafing. I put on dark grey "real" compression shorts under the skirt. They stuck out under the skirt but they are the same shade of grey so meh. SO MUCH BETTER! Finished my run without those pesky thunder thighs rubbing together and having to adjust every 30 seconds.

Here's what I think....no matter what the weather (and obviously, I don't know where you are), but my way of thinking for a 5K is you are out there MAX 30 minutes....you can endure almost any weather for that short of a race because you will be working your butt off and the temps won't matter much once you're 1/4 mile into it.

This coming from a Minnesotan.

KLO

more miles = more beer

12 miles at an 8:38 overall pace done.  And either I wore the wrong pair of gloves, should have worn two pair, or it is just too fuckin cold out there!   >:-/

I choose option # 3 above. No gloves for me at all actually, and I was in shorts for some reason. Ended up being almost as bad as yesterday, but without the race-day adrenaline to warm you up.

Apparently the sign of spring I mentioned earlier was one that read "Caution - More Winter Ahead". I think it was over 40 when I went out, supposed to get over 50 today. Instead, when I finished it was 37. There was some kind of snow/rain/hail/sleet coming down the entire time. Ended up with 8.35 miles at 8:41 pace. I suppose too fast for a recovery run, but this was not a day for a leisurely stroll.

Basya, awesome run, way to pick up the pace at the end.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Nice run, Basya!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Here's what I think....no matter what the weather (and obviously, I don't know where you are), but my way of thinking for a 5K is you are out there MAX 30 minutes....you can endure almost any weather for that short of a race because you will be working your butt off and the temps won't matter much once you're 1/4 mile into it.

This coming from a Minnesotan.

Last week my 5K was 30 degrees....no running skirt for me last week! Was just saying that I think it is finally spring for real and I think I can finally wear a skirt for a race. Been in tights or capris since December.... just wanted to make sure I tried my new skirt before I raced in it. Thank goodness I did because I don't think I could have comfortably run 3.1 miles without the extra compression shorts underneath. My 5K Sunday will probably be over 30 minutes, but I am hoping for low 50s