Beginners and Beyond

1st place AG, 5+ minute PR Jingle Bell 5K RR (Read 329 times)

Mmmmm...beer

After the short course on my 5K last week, I had to find another one so I could get a valid time.  Found a local Jingle Bell 5K and signed up.

I knew the distance and timing would be good, since it's run by our local running club, they do a great job.  Got my chip and got warmed up, when they called two minutes till the start, I headed for the starting line.  It was pretty crowded, and I didn't fight my way towards the front...big mistake. 

I lost a ton of time in the first half mile, which I then foolishly made up on the second mile which in turn caused me to blow up in the third mile.  I was a little bummed when I didn't get my sub-20, but then they posted the results and I couldn't believe it, there was my name at the top of my age group!  Ran a 20:23, 5:22 PR!

At the awards ceremony, there was a group of people on the other side of the room who started cheering very loudly when she was getting ready to read the 1st place finisher, but they got really quiet when she called out my name.  Apparently they didn't check the posted results, but they knew that he had finished faster than the 2nd and 3rd place finisher, so they assumed he was 1st.  Turns out he accidentally registered as a female, and should have been 2nd place for our AG.  I went over and met them, they're all in the local running club, which I will be joining soon, good group of folks. 

My family went to breakfast with Santa at my son's school, so I was flying solo for the race, so no race pictures, but here's a post race shot and the bling. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Just B.S.

Super performance!! and an AG win!!

Merry December to you!!!!!!!!!

Jenven

Good job on the first place finish!

Started C25K on 9/6/12. First 5K set for 1/13/13.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm pretty sure that you've got a sub-20 in you, but the changes and improvements that you've made since you started are more amazing than the times alone.  Seriously inspirational Dave.  Great job, and congratulations!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Nice job on the race, the PR and the bling!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Runshortii

Woohoo great job!
              Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Dave - huge congratulations!!  I totally agree with awood, having followed your journey and seeing your committment and drive - TOTALLY inspirational!  And awesome that you found a good running club to hang with as well.  Well done!!

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Congratulations, Dave! Nice job on the time and the 1st place finish. Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Awood, not too bad for a former fat guy, huh? lol  I think with a better start and better pacing I'll get my sub-20.

For those that don't know, this time last year I was 85lbs heavier, and couldn't run to the end of the block.  Drastically changed my eating habits and started dropping weight, then started running in April, got hooked pretty quick, and here I am.  If you had told me last year that I could weigh 185lbs and even run a race at all, much less win my age group, I would have laughed in your face.  Anything is possible with time and determination.

-Dave

My running blog

Shakedown Street

Wow you have came far!!!

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

Don't call me Buttercup!

Great job!!  That is a HUGE PR, amazing! 

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

That 85 pound loss makes it even more awesome. I share a similar weight loss story, but not to the same extent (lost about 50 since I started running). I'm also about 5 minutes slower than you, but I am more than 8 minutes faster in the 5K than I was just over a year ago when I ran my first!

You're doing great! Like Awood, I see a sub-20 run coming for you soon.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Liz!  The local club does a distance series in Jan/Feb to prep for the half/full that I'm running in March, that's gonna be great.  They also do interval work every Tues and tempo work every Thurs, so I can get some speedwork in with them if I don't feel like doing it alone.  Plus, they like to drink beer, win win! Smile

Great job on the weight loss Tom!  It makes such a huge difference in all aspects of your life.  8 mins off from your first is great! 

Thanks jneilt & Di!

-Dave

My running blog

Love the Half

Congrats on the bling.  The good thing is that the 40-45 AG is insanely competitive so now you have to keep getting faster.  Big grin  Honestly, at the speed you are at now, you should be lining up no farther back than the 3rd row.  One of the things I have worked on is going out really hard in the first 200 yards or so to get myself some space.  Then, I settle back into my race pace.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mmmmm...beer

Congrats on the bling.  The good thing is that the 40-45 AG is insanely competitive so now you have to keep getting faster.  Big grin  Honestly, at the speed you are at now, you should be lining up no farther back than the 3rd row.  One of the things I have worked on is going out really hard in the first 200 yards or so to get myself some space.  Then, I settle back into my race pace.

Thanks!  You're not kidding, 1st place 40-45 was a low 18 iirc.  I knew I should have been closer to the front, won't let that happen again.

-Dave

My running blog