Beginners and Beyond

1st place AG, 5+ minute PR Jingle Bell 5K RR (Read 329 times)

Outstanding! Well done.

Bin Running

Congrats, Dave.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

MrNamtor

Great job and a great time!!!

And i like the little twist about the guy who accidentally registered as a female. Must have been a disappointment to him and his family but I'm sure they'll be laughing about it a lot in the future.

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

You have come such a long way. Amazing!! Congrats!!!
          Robert31320

Team TJ

Nice job on the AG win!  I agree with the others, you have the sub-20 in the bag. 

Next race, line up in front Wink

Running for TJ because he can't.

Remarkable transformation within a year.  I'm sure your family sees your shining example of determination.  And lightning fast too! WTG on your AG Award for the race.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Little Blue

Well done!  I didn't know your back story, so that's danged impressive!  All of it, the weight loss, the speed, everything.

Peace out!

For those that don't know, this time last year I was 85lbs heavier, and couldn't run to the end of the block.  Drastically changed my eating habits and started dropping weight, then started running in April, got hooked pretty quick, and here I am. 

feels awesome, doesn't it?  Great job, on the weight loss AND the race PR! I can't wait to win my first age group! (came in third once...)

PRs:

5k -    22:39      12/11     10k -  49:10      11/11

20k -  1:56:56    9/12      13.1 - 1:54:07    3/12

30k -   3:05:54   9/12      26.2 -  5:00:27 10/12

happylily

Excellent finish time! Congratulations on your great race and AG award! Love the pics. Runner guys are always so handsome. We (being us, runner girls) are lucky! :-)

Your story of the guy who was accidently registered as a woman reminds me of my own story, when I paced my SO in a 5k last year. I would have finished 1st in my AG, by a big margin (2 minutes), but I was also accidently (it was the fault of the woman who registered me the morning of the race) put in the male category and I finished 5th in the 45-49 men, 2 seconds behind my SO. I laughed. :-)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks irish & bin!

Thanks MRNamtor, it was pretty funny, there were plenty of jokes that followed about him being female, lower BQs, etc. lol

Thanks Flippy! Smile

Thanks Robert, yup, definitely up on the 15th, can't wait!

Thanks bozy!  They do, it's really been a group effort.  My wife has lost 118lbs, and both boys are eating better and being more active as a result, it's great.  This is the best way to set an example for our kids, imo. 

Thanks Little Blue, it's been fun journey so far, looking forward to seeing what the future holds with more training.

Cameron, thanks, it really does feel great, it's amazing how much it changes every aspect of your life.  I flew out to CA for work about a month ago, first time I had flown since the weight loss, I was shocked at how much more room I had and how much comfortable I was on the plane.  It was funny because my bag was overweight, and I didn't have any room in my backpack to try to move stuff, so I got hit with the overweight bag fee.  I tried to explain to the lady that I had lost a bunch of weight, so really for a gross total for me and my bag, they're flying less weight than they were last year, she didn't go for it. LOL

Thanks lily!  We runners are a sexy bunch, that's for sure!  Did they fix your results?  They fixed the results for my race already, guess that's the nice thing about the local club doing the timing, it's easy to get things like that corrected. 

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

TakeAHike

You are making huge progress.  I took a look at your running log and you have been killing it since you started running.  Keep it up.  I look forward to see what you do in 2013.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

SheCan

Awesome job!  Congratulations on the PR & the 1st place AG (awesome!!!!)   Neat that you were able to meet your new running buddies at the same time!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Mmmmm...beer

TakeaHike, thanks!  I'm definitely looking forward to what I can do with more training.

Cherie, thanks!! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

UPSucks

Good job on the race! You're a true inspiration to me! I signed up for the shamrock half this past weekend. I've been wanting to run it since I heard about it when I moved here in 1992. I'll be 42 that day! I'm running my first 5k this weekend at the beach. All though my time won't be close to yours, it will be a PR for me since its my first race. Looking to do it in the 27's. I started running in July. I am at 214 right now. Down from 255ish at the beginning of the year. Thanks for the inspiration Tony

Mmmmm...beer

Good job on the race! You're a true inspiration to me! I signed up for the shamrock half this past weekend. I've been wanting to run it since I heard about it when I moved here in 1992. I'll be 42 that day! I'm running my first 5k this weekend at the beach. All though my time won't be close to yours, it will be a PR for me since its my first race. Looking to do it in the 27's. I started running in July. I am at 214 right now. Down from 255ish at the beginning of the year. Thanks for the inspiration Tony

Thanks!  I really appreciate that.  That's awesome to get to run the shamrock on your birthday.  I wanted to do the 5k in VB this weekend but it's sold out.  Good luck!  Great job on the weight loss too!

-Dave

My running blog