Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Frosty 5K - and 70 races done in 2015 (Read 21 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

Held on December 24, 2015, this was the third annual Frosty 5K/5Mile/1-Mile fun run, and the first time I had ever done this one. With the completion of this event, I ended up for the year 2015 with 70 races done – no more racing for the rest of this year and now I am going to take a long winter’s nap.   Wink   Quite a nice turn-out too for fun runs on Christmas Eve, probably more than 100 participants, so obviously a very popular holiday event for our local area runners and walkers. Host of the event was Alamo 180 [link - http://www.alamo180.com/] , a training and fitness center co-founded and co-owned by the lovely Bree Soileau, a very nice lady I met for the first time at this run. This was a FREE event benefitting Street2Feet [link: www.street2feet.org ], a running training program in partnership with the Haven to Hope, which helps the homeless, and participants brought various donations for S2F, like clothing, running shoes, etc.  9 a.m. start time – and since I live pretty close I got to sleep in a bit, which was nice. Weather was a bit overcast, 61 degrees at start time, pretty low humidity and dew-point, but no wind or rain which was nice. I chose to do the 5K – which was actually 3.3 miles, so just a tad long, but that was okay – and I ended up with a time of 34:09.

BEFORE THE START

The "Cat King" before I headed out to the run, relaxing at home with Peanut (front) Midnite (lap) and Paisley.

photo 004_zpswuokce1k.jpg

Sinatra was a bit miffed all the others were getting the attention...so here is our "pretty boy' cat....

photo 002_zpsxaksokpt.jpg

Arrived about 35 minutes before the 9 a.m. start time and got a few photos before we all got going.

They had a map of the course..thank goodness, as I am 'directionally challenged", lol...so I took a photo of  the route, just in case, lol...

photo 009_zps3kxvm03r.jpg

photo 005_zpscxzzwbdx.jpg

photo 006_zps7lrj1ugn.jpg

photo 007_zpsjc11skvp.jpg

photo 008_zpsp2dpfilb.jpg

photo 011_zps01pbvfsx.jpg

photo 012_zpssmsyvbbk.jpg

Redo....they can decide which one they like better

photo 013_zpsuqwqh2qs.jpg

photo 014_zpsftxqj1yh.jpg

photo 015_zpsq7cydgrg.jpg

photo 016_zpsggzwdftz.jpg

My friend, fellow veteran, and one of my personal heroes, Roy; he carries the flag at quite a few of the events he does.

photo 017_zpstmjb8ax5.jpg

photo 018_zpssd2bu2q9.jpg

photo 019_zps7wttf7gs.jpg

photo 020_zpsqxreqfsr.jpg

photo 021_zpsxqbfqbtu.jpg

photo 022_zpslabjtpyi.jpg

photo 024_zpst3zznexv.jpg

photo 025_zpszntqn1ru.jpg

photo 026_zpsolicu1kz.jpg

Bree giving everyone some instructions and info on the course before we get started

photo 023_zps1bfa7fij.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The course for all 3 events was 5K/5 Miler/1 Mile was done in Olmos Park, a very nice area of wide roads and beautiful homes – lots of million dollar houses in this area. Local billionaire Red McCombs – you might have heard of him through his former ownership if the Minnesota Vikings – lives in this neighborhood. Very nicely thought out route.   The roads were open to traffic, but not too much traffic on Christmas Eve; I don’t know how some of the other participants fared, but wherever I was at any given moment on the course, the drivers I saw were very cooperative with us, slowing down, giving right of way, etc. The course, all on paved roads, had a bit of everything: flat, some inclines, a fairly long hill we had to climb, and then a bit of a downhill incline on the way to finishing.

photo 027_zpsnjk9xqi9.jpg

photo 028_zpsbee3nfbp.jpg

photo 029_zpsd2xex7ec.jpg

photo 030_zpsbd5jkmwv.jpg

photo 031_zpsipqbnxfu.jpg

photo 032_zpstkbippxu.jpg

photo 033_zps1s7rvr5l.jpg

photo 034_zpsd7i1ijzq.jpg

photo 035_zpstntwc7hp.jpg

photo 036_zpsnunu4ayt.jpg

photo 037_zpsjptct6dp.jpg

Up the hill, past some parked cars.. photo 038_zpsxm48yyud.jpg

Looking behind me, back down the hill photo 039_zpsh0toxrn0.jpg

After that, it was nonstop running back to the finish.

AFTER THE FINISH

Back at Alamo 180, lots of water, Christmas cookies, fruit, and other goodies, very nice. Lots of photo being taken by everyone, including me, getting photos of the participants, volunteers, etc.

photo 040_zps7ijcghfk.jpg

My friend Roy would make a good Santa...he has a very comfortable lap, lol.    photo 042_zpshdimh7mp.jpg

photo 043_zps9kcyvlym.jpg

photo 044_zpsv9e6qvz4.jpg

I jokingly told this guy he was going to be some 'eye candy' for my lady viewers, lol.

photo 045_zpsvyxcrr9q.jpg

photo 046_zpst9zc529u.jpg

photo 047_zpsmzbullu0.jpg

photo 048_zps4yh2sjdh.jpg

photo 049_zpsyb59cmb2.jpg

photo 051_zpszhyrkcb4.jpg

photo 052_zpssxlvgbvc.jpg

photo 053_zpsaq7noexo.jpg

photo 054_zpsmvmeqqdq.jpg

EPILOGUE

I wish I had known about this one for the previous two years it was being done, I would have done every one of them. Very nicely organized event, and lots of good camaraderie among all. This one is definitely worth doing and lots of fun before, during, and after.   Mucho thanks to Alamo 180, Street2Feet, and any sponsors the organizers had helping with this one. Thanks, Olmos Park residents and drivers, for your patience and understanding as we participants invaded your streets for a while. I suspect this one will keep growing, so thanks for your patience in the future too. Definitely would recommend this one to my social circle of runners!

Wishing everyone a very safe and happy Christmas and New Year!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like a nice holiday event.  Lots of costumes and a pretty route.  Merry Christmas!

LRB

70 races huh? Well I guess it's as good a year as any for a cutback from your normal 73-ish. lol

Docket_Rocket

Great job this year!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

70 races huh? Well I guess it's as good a year as any for a cutback from your normal 73-ish. lol

lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Looks like a fun race!  Congrats on the 70 done; nice job!