Beginners and Beyond

For Penguins Sake Thursday! (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

National For Pete's Sake Day!

PADRunner

Morning Penguins, 4 on the mill last night and 3.5 this morning.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Run/walk after work yesterday on some nice trails.  Sunny, blue skies, 65 degrees, nice to be out there in singlet and shorts. A very nice and easy 3.3 miles, which my legs appreciated after my no-brace-on-my-knee hill work on Tuesday night. Today will be a bit chillier, high of only 57; but still sunny and blue skies.  3 - 4 miles planned after work today.

Tomorrow and Saturday are gonna suck for we San Antonio folks.  Weather changing drastically tonite as a cold front moves in.  Friday a high of only 42 and Saturday - when I have a 5K - a high of only 45, with a drizzly, cold rain, yuk.    Even so, it's still better than what all you 'real winter' folks are dealing with.

Image result for Oh, for pete's sake

Happy February 26th!  Today's holidays include:

For Pete's Sake Day -  Oh, for Pete's Sake!

Image result for for pete's sake penguin

National Bacon Day - It's BAAAAAACON!

World Pistachio Day - Go nuts!

Elegant Penguin - HEY JEVES, MY NUTS ARE FREEZING

Levi Strauss Day - Celebrate your jeans

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

on my way to badass

Good Thursday PAD, Scotty and Penguins!  5 on tap today.  65F Scotty?!?  Nice miles PAD.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Brilliant

Good Morning Penguins!

Thanks for starting us off PAD.  Fingers crossed for your weather this weekend.

Scotty, stay warm at your races this weekend!  You always have such a good attitude so I'm sure you'll have a great time despite the weather.

SF, have a great 5!  That's my plan today too.

AFM:  Hubby has been in Milwaukee this week (yes, he took off in the OC earlier this week at about 70 degrees and landed at 10 degrees!).  He had what he thought was a cold, but when I talked to him last night he sounded AWFUL.  Sure enough, this morning I had a text from him saying he was on an earlier flight and hopes to get to the doctor when he gets home.  So, aside from feeling sorry for the poor guy, I'm not sure how it will work with my run.  I have my final CPR/First Aid class this morning from 7-9:30. If the instructor lets us out early (which is possible) I'll be able to get my 5 miles in and still shower and get to the airport.  Otherwise I'll have to see how the day plays out with getting hubby in to the doctor.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  12 with 5 at tempo done this morning.  Working from home so Pilates later.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all!  Did 5 outdoors yesterday and am quite sore today.  I think that my body has gotten used to the treadmill which is definitely less impact than the sidewalks/roads here.  There was quite a bit of ice to avoid out there so I'll be back on the TM again today for another 5.

Brilliant - hope DH feels better and you get your run in

PAD - good job on the 4 yesterday and 3.5 this morning

scotty - I'm so jealous of your weather!

D - nice job getting 12 done on a workday morning :-)

SF - enjoy your 5 - indoors or out?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

on my way to badass

5 done on the hamster wheel.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Quick check in. No running. I think I am starting to sound like a broken record.

See ya.

From the Internet.

Morning pens!

8 miles on the treadmill for me - 2.5 mile warmup, 3.5 at roughly GHMP, 2 mile cooldown. Was pleased that I could hold GHMP for the full 3.5 miles no problem, hanging on for the whole 13.1 might be another story. Just going to trust the training, try to get in time on my feet at GHMP for the next 2.5 months, and see what happens on race day. I'm absolutely positive I can go sub-2:00 at this point, getting to 1:50 (or, gasp, 1:49!) will be tough. I'm excited to try though!

GinnyinPA

A lot of early runners today.

PAD - good job on the early miles.  Is this your last run before your marathon?

Scotty - have fun with your cool miles this evening.  Sorry about the wet weather this weekend.

StoneFence - good job with your 5 miles.

Brilliant - sorry you have to deal with a sick husband.  I hope you manage to get a run in sometime today.

Damaris - good job on the MP miles.  Do you have any races before Paris?

sapf - I haven't figured out yet whether the TM is easier or harder on my body.  Easy on the feet, but it always feels harder and faster than the same pace outdoors.

Jack - is the swelling going down at all?

Lauren - good job on the run.  Which race are you training for?

AFM:  I'll do 4 or 5 later.  It snowed a little bit this morning, but that seems to be melting fast so I may run outside or just keep it simple and stay home.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Ginny: Yes, a bit, and it hurts less at the pressure point. Rest is a good thing.

hog4life

10 yesterday in 2 inches of snow. 3.1 today in 10 inches of snow. Today's 3 was much harder than yesterday's 10. Starting night shift tonight for 5 nights

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

PAD, hunker down and stay warm for our cold front moving in tonite.  North Texas will probably take more of a hit than we do down here.

It's a bit chilly today here, StoneFence...it's only in the 50's...     Sorry you still have to be on the hamster wheel in your weather.

Congrats on your final First Aid/CPR class, Brilliant.  Hope you got your miles in.  Sorry about your ill DH and hope it is nothing serious.

Congrats on the miles, Damaris.  Good luck with the Pilates.

Sorry you are still unable to run, Jack.  But you are doing some kind of x-training, right?  Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Good luck with the training, Lauren!

Well, Ginny, at least your snow is melting!  Good luck with your miles.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

10 yesterday in 2 inches of snow. 3.1 today in 10 inches of snow. Today's 3 was much harder than yesterday's 10. Starting night shift tonight for 5 nights

Harder to run in 10 inches of snow vs 2 inches of snow?  Gee...go figure...   Way go get it done in that stuff, hog4life!  Good luck with the sleep adapting again for your night shifts.