Beginners and Beyond

IMTPT (Read 1309 times)

Docket_Rocket

That's what I meant.  I am not intending to go closer to what I could do in a 50K either.

I'd probably go slower than marathon pace.  But that's just me.  You'll do fine!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hey everyone.  Work wasn't nearly as crazy busy as I had expected it to be.  I was going to try to get some of tomorrow's stuff done today but maintenance is hiding my cart somewhere and I have nothing else to bring all that stuff up to the units.  Oh well.  I have a head cold and it's ttom so I'm a little cranky today.  At least it's only a 2 day work week for me.  Tomorrow the kids are coming with me to my brother's to do christmas with my family.  Should be fun.

I may be slow but I never quit.

Feel better Cheryl.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Docket_Rocket

Feel better, Cheryl.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

I have my annual physical tomorrow.  Yay me. Undecided

Docket_Rocket

With all your running, it should go well!

I have my annual physical tomorrow.  Yay me. Undecided

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Hey, guys!

Van--Let us know how the physical went!

Damaris--I can't even imagine doing more than 26.2 in a race! Kudos! Smile

Cheryl--Hang in there!

Where's everyone else? Don't force me to go back to RW!!

My weigh-in yesterday was awesome. So  I got off work at 07:30, realized we were out of milk and a few other essentials, swung by Fred Meyer's, then hit the gym and did 20 on the treadmill at 10'16" pace. I don't know how I slogged through that run, honestly I don't. I had my Dance Baby Dance playlist going, 5 TVs to keep track of, and an awesome Star Trek fan fiction story on my Kindle (it's called "The Native," and Startrekfanwriter is the author if anyone's interested)--so all those distractions may have worked in my favor--I don't know!

Anyhoo, I was late to my Weight Watchers meeting--too late to weigh in! So I headed home, got more coffee, and drove 8 miles to the Beaverton WW store in the mall over there. I was pretty sure I had gained weight since I plowed through about 17 cookies and 23 chocolate truffles over the last week and a half, but I was down 2 pounds. So a total weight loss of 15.4 pounds since I started!

I would suspect dehydration as a culprit, after my long run, except I drank a liter of fluid, a 20-ounce diet soda, and another 14 ounces of coffee before I hit the scale. I just have 5 more pounds to go before I get to "race weight." If I can maintain it through my marathon training cycle, I am very excited to see what a difference it makes in my time! Next marathon is April 28th!

Heather, congrats on the weight loss!

So my physical was so/so.  My LDL is actually up to 108, from 83 last year.  Really?  I eat pretty well, and have logged 2200 miles this past year and I eat well!  Kind of annoyed about that.  Otherwise, everything else checked out mostly fine.  I've been having a few more reactive hypoglycemia episodes, and my fasting glucose is up to 90, creeping up over the last couple of years.  It may be pre diabetes if it gets to 100.  Ugh.  I have no history of diabetes in my family.   Doc wants me to start monitoring my glucose levels when I have a sugar crash. Oi.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, Heather.  Congrats on the weight loss.  I am starting to look like a whale.  You can tell TTOM is near.  I look so fat (I'm sure this is not true but I sure think so, LOL).  Look at you and your weight loss.

Van, did you have a LR this weekend or close to the physical?  I remember DH sent me for blood tests the week of NYCM and the numbers were horrible. There were even some positive things there.  The numbers were affected by the LR and HM I ran that weekend.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Well, I did have an 80 mile week the week before for the 2012 game.  I think I need a new doctor.  I made sure he knew that I've run 2200 miles this year, and his recommendation was to eat healthier and to make sure I continue to get some exercise. Angry

Docket_Rocket

Ha!  Maybe he didn't hear you.

Remember my second opinion for the chiro (spinal orthopedist) thought I said I was running 15mpw for marathon training (I said 50mpw) and he thought 15 was TOO MUCH!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Morning, everyone!

Van-- Look more at the ratio of LDL to HDL than the final number. Oftentimes, aerobic exercise also increases HDL, the so-called "good cholesterol," also. The ratio tells you more than just the flat number. Don't quote me, but I believe 2:1 (LDL: HDL) or 3:1 is considered good.

As for what the doc said about eating healthier and exercising, fire him for being a parroting idiot. Big grin Try to find a doc who, if not a runner, at least knows something about what's involved. The old one probably though you were exaggerating about the mileage! :P

Damaris-- You do NOT!! Although TTOM can certainly make a woman FEEL that way. Ugh! I sympathize.

Cheryl--How's the cold? Chicken soup and lots of rest--that's what always works for me!

Where's Neil and Doug and Mary and Jada?

Heather, that's exactly the case.  Because I'm a runner, my HDL was actually flagged for high as well.  So my ratio is 1.7, which is well within the healthy range.  I have a bad gene pool though, and that's something you can't hide from, no matter how healthy.  I also suspect this doctor has no clue about running at all, so it means nothing to him if I run 10 miles a week, or 70.  That should be part of doctors resume, if they are an athlete or not so we can choose wisely.

Heading out to the trails to try out my new snow spikes.  Hope to get about 10 on the snow covered equestrian trail with a few running friends.  Looking forward to seeing how the spikes work in a few inches of snow and ice.  And I fully expect these will be a LOT slower than normal.

Van--Those spikes looked totally badass on FB!

Heather, those spikes are the bomb.  They work exactly as expected and provided great traction on my snowy trail run today.  My wife had an extra Amazon gift card with nothing on her wish list, so she offered to let me have the gift card to pay half the cost.

Tested my sugar levels on a sugar crash this morning, it was down to 60.  Ugh.  And that was just after scooping the snow on the driveway.  I've got to get this hypoglycemia figured out.  I've had it my whole life and have had a few episodes.  Physical activity in the morning brings it on for me, but it's been happening much more frequently lately, at least once or twice a week for the last several weeks.  Think I'm going to get thee to an endocrinologist after the first of the year for some detailed sugar testing.