Beginners and Beyond

IMTPT (Read 1309 times)

Pam, we (NWS) are trying to figure out why so many died.  I think it was just too much too soon for those cattle, and they weren't acclimated yet.  We've never seen a massive killoff like that before.

Neil, don't stress about the race.  There are hundreds of races.  Just worry about now, and the rest will take care of itself.

Mike, a Disney trip sounds fun, I'm sure your family will love it.

Damaris and Doug, you ready to race?

Marjorie, hope the new computer works, whenever you get it.  I love technology, when it works.  Then I loathe it.

Got a cavity filled early this morning, then some new tires for my wife's car.  Cleaned out some of the garage, mowed the yard, trimmed and weeded, and now cleaning up the inside of the house. DW has Bunko women over tonight so it's time to get it spiffed up.  Then a hilly mofo gnarly trail run this evening followed by some BBQ.  Phew.  Be well peeps.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Docket_Rocket

Ready?  Don't know.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Wandering Wally

Wow, lots of cattle casualties.  Maybe just too much change all at once?

Van - Yep, going to Disney World.  I had to switch some dates around since our timing changed.  Disney lets you make your original reservation online, but if you need to change it they make you call.  Oy.  They must need some call center employees because I was on hold a long time.  It's all good now.

Damaris & Doug - Looks like a fairly nice weekend coming up in Chicago.  Hope you have a blast!

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Docket_Rocket

It's warmer than I wanted but it's colder than I have, by 20F at least.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Van - That's a possibility. I'm also guessing that as cattle got lost some may have stepped into holes, cattle gates, depressions, etc and simply were buried in snow too heavy for them to breathe through. Of course, farmers and ranchers know that there is always a possibility of losing livestock during any bad storm, but total losses in the tens of thousands??  I don't think anyone around here has ever seen anything like this...

Relentless forward progress

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

There goes the price of beef this winter.

Like others, I find it odd that so many cattle died from the storm when they are outside animals to begin with.  Gets colder and for longer periods without issue usually.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Just read an article on the cattle and this stuck out to me in it:

cattle were soaked by 12 hours of rain early in the storm, so many were unable to survive an additional 48 hours of snow and winds up to 60 mph.

My guess is hypothermia set in with them then.

Docket_Rocket

Poor cattle.  I thought they have them inside until pasture time.  Although outside is where they belong, you are right.  I wonder if the farmers do not have a way to put them inside in these cases.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Some of those big ranches have thousands of head of cattle so it just isn't feasible to put them inside.

Crew_Dawg

Mike - we have treadmills topside, but not where I am.  We are on top of shock isolators and little extra room so can't do much

-- Ice, I could ice for hours

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Hopefully they at least spared some room for a shitter.

Crew_Dawg

I have seen camper shitters bigger than what we get.  The bed mod I fit in tho

-- Ice, I could ice for hours

Learningdaily

Fibromyalgia Fighter

Morning.

Relentless forward progress

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Morning all!

Alright 3 days out from Chi-town and the weather predictions are 57F for the start and 63F at noon. 8 MPH wind from the south and not much for clouds. Rain seems to have moved out of the picture.

Docket_Rocket

I saw that.

Damaris

Fundraising Page