Beginners and Beyond

OK5K RR, 1st place AG (Read 101 times)

Hip Redux

Happy raciversary!  Nice AG win Smile

I think for trails or off road, trail shoes really help. I noticed a lot less slipping and sliding in bad conditions on the trails with shoes with some grip to them.   I have one trail that hits the road for a bit and then the shoes are a little tedious, but otherwise, I think you'll see some improvement with the right shoes if you have to race in those conditions again!

Mmmmm...beer

Sorry for not replying to my own RR, last week was a lil crazy with family visiting and my oldest son's HS graduation.

Thanks Damaris! The mental part is definitely getting better, I just have to keep reminding myself that my legs/body has never let me down, so I just need to keep pushing.

Thanks Sparker! Hard to believe it's been a year, goes by quick!

Thanks Awood! I couldn't be happier with how far I've come, never thought it would be possible, guess you never know until you try, right?

Thanks Cherie! I didn't get a picture, but instead of medals, the AG awards were Tervis cups with the race logo, pretty cool.

Thanks Hilary! Definitely no complaints here. Maybe next year I can go top 10 overall. Smile

Thanks Ginny! This race (twice now) is my only cross country/trail race. When I ran it the first time, I had nothing to compare it to, but now that I've run a bunch of road 5Ks, I have a much better appreciation for the differences between the courses and how that can affect your effort/time.

Thanks Traci! It was funny, while we were waiting for the start, I was talking to a guy who told me that this was his first 5k. It was kind of neat to be able to give advice to someone when just last year I was in his place.

Thanks Dave!

Thanks Banshee! Can't wait to see what I can do this fall/spring!

Thanks LRB! That would be something, huh? But I won't get my hopes up too high considering the winner this year ran a 15:50! But I wouldn't mind a top 10 OA finish, should be doable with a mid-low 19.

Thanks Jay! It's still hard to believe sometimes, never knew I had it in me.

Thanks jjs!

Thanks Kris! Good seeing you out there. Looks like I might miss the Memorial Scholarship 5k, so I'm not sure when my next opportunity will be, plus it's just getting hotter, might have to wait till it cools off again for a PR. But that's ok, just gives me more time to train. Smile

Thanks MrNamtor! Hopefully my story goes on for a long, long time!

Thanks Oski! It's hard to justify the shoes since I don't do a lot of trail racing, my Kinvaras are fine for what little trail running I do in training. But I think it might be worth the investment for this race if I want to be able to put forth my best effort. It was really weird to feel myself slipping a lil with almost every step, and then feel my speed pick up considerably every time we hit the pavement (there were a few sections where we crossed roads/parking areas).

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

Excellent! Huge congratulations on your AG award!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

outoftheblue

Congrats on the AG award and running yet another excellent race.    Thanks for sharing your back story too -- you must be very proud of all you've accomplished.

Life is good.

Love the Half

I love races on a challenging course so that you can focus on racing rather than just turning it into a time trial.  Nice job on the AG win.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

1st place AG, nice way to celebrate your raciversary!  Congratulations!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

+1000, congrats!

Anybody else noticing that nobody's avatars are showing, or is it just me?

Non-PR races help us get through those mental hurdles, so I"m glad it's helping.  Congrats on another well run race and on your AG placement!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Zelanie

From 14th in AG to 14th OA, such a huge year for you!  I have to say, you have some speedy people in your area, too!  Nice 5+ minute course PR. Smile

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Lily! It feels so weird to be competitive in my age group (at least locally), never knew I had it in me.

Thanks OOTB! I am very proud of what I've been able to accomplish so far, getting healthy/losing weight is the best decision (besides my family) that I've ever made. Smile

Thanks Brad! I'm starting to learn that racing by effort/feel is much more fun than constantly checking my Garmin.

Thanks Scotty! Hard to believe it's been a year already, it goes by fast!

Thanks FS! I guess I missed the hiccups with the updates, so I never noticed. Smile Had college orientation to attend, can't believe my boy is officially a freshman, it's crazy.

Thanks Mel! It's been an awesome year, can't wait to see what the next year brings. There are definitely some fast folks around here, when I age up next year I'm gonna have to step it up, there are some really fast guys in the 40-49 group.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Dave you are a stud man. Keep up the good work.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas