Beginners and Beyond

High Five Penguin Thursdailies! (Read 21 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

National High Five Day!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 miles tonight.

PAD Runner, how is your marathon recovery going?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

In from 3. Shorter than I wanted because I slept badly, but surprisingly quickly than expected. Feel okay. Yeah.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

PADRunner

Got off late yesterday so i didn't do either run or cross. So today may be a double.

3 done this morning on the treadmill. I ran the 5k course that i have this weekend, deceptive, second half is gradual uphill. Maybe group later if it does not rain.

PADRunner

Morning!  I have 6 miles tonight.

PAD Runner, how is your marathon recovery going?

Better today. Calves are starting to loosen up a bit.

tracilynn

Morning penguins,

rainy and stormy here. I did 3.5 on muddy trails last night. I have not done my PT corework in about 5 days. Burned out on it.  Wish I could one of the lucky people who can just run and never cross train.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Kathleen, is your chest cleared up now, or is that why you didn't sleep well?

PAD, have a nice double.

Damaris, how is YOUR marathon recovery going?  You seem to have picked up on your training again right away!

Scotty, re: your Fiesta announcement yesterday; isn't that what our big FE is coming up...what year again?

Traci, I'm with you; I hate cross training but I must keep trying to work it in.  I'm still sore from a new cross-fit type workout my gym is offering that I took Tuesday.

We are having a weather advisory here.  Hot, dry gusts of wind.  I hate running in that.   But off I go.

From the Internet.

Morning igloo!

I thought my workout today was going to kill me but then I got mad and killed it instead. 10.5 with 7 at GHMP, 8:22+ overall pace for the 7 but the first two very flat miles were 8:31, 8:34, and after seeing that 8:34 I was furious. I didn't wake up at 5 AM to half-ass my workout and miss my goal this close to my race. Picked it up and finished strong! Big grin 8:18 average for the next 5 miles, even with rolling hills for most of it.

tracilynn

That's awesome Lauren! When is your half?

~~~~~~~

Traci

Docket_Rocket

Brilliant, it's going well since I didn't race it all out.  And, yes, after all, I have another one upcoming.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm looking at another busy day today of instrument training, a faculty meeting, and a seminar.  Plus chorus rehearsal tonight!!  I think I'm just going to collapse into a puddle of goo on Saturday.  Except that's the day they deliver our new couch, so I have to be upright at some point.  But then I can collapse into a puddle of goo on our new couch!

Docket -- enjoy your 6!!

Kathleen -- glad you're feeling better!!

PAD -- If you've done 3 this morning, group this afternoon, and cross, does that make it a triple?  I'm tired just thinking of that!!

traci -- Yeah, apparently I will always have to cross-train as well.  The clamshells are kicking my booty (actually, kicking my hips), so I guess that means I need them.  Darnit.

Brilliant -- Good luck on your hot, dry, gusty run!!

Lauren -- woo-hoo for killing your workout!!

Jack, from yesterday -- thinking of you and your mom ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

Traci - May 17th! So close, and yet so far away D:

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Howdy Pens.

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. FYI... My mom's first surgery is set for next Friday and it looks like a four or five day hospital stay. Hoping for the best!

In other news, DW, DD1, and I are off to San Luis Obispo tonight after DD1's track meet. That's a small town up on the central coast of CA where DD1 is going to school in the fall. They are having their big Open House weekend where the kids who got accepted get all the tours of the dorms, campus,etc. All the clubs will be out there and I think DD1 is going to join the Distance Club. Yes, it's a running club for kids who want to run for fun. She thought about going for the XC team but decided it's too much time and pressure but at least she wants to run for fun and to stay fit. Also, there are lots of HM's up there so when we visit she can run with us. DD2 is going to stay with my parents because she thought "Grandma could use the company and we can go shopping." Nice kid.

Hopefully, hotel will have a TM but if not I will just go out and get some miles when I can.

Thanks again.

GinnyinPA

D - enjoy your six this evening.  How's the migraine?

Kathleen - Are you completely over your cold?

PAD - good luck on the double.  Have you trained on hills at all?

Traci - do you plan to run today, despite the rain?  Good luck on the xt.  I'm very erratic on it as well.  I will do core exercises, light weights or yoga after a run if I'm on the TM and already downstairs in the basement, but when I run outside, I'm a lot less excited about spending 1/2 hour doing exercises afterwards.

Brilliant - good luck with your windy run.  I hope it's not too dusty.

Lauren - good job on the tempo run.

HM - enjoy your very busy day and evening.  That's pretty quick delivery on your couch.  I hope it's as comfortable as you need.

Jack - you can always run around the campus.  Have fun this weekend.

I have four easy today, followed by first mowing of the lawn -- assuming we have any gas left from last fall.

Docket_Rocket

Ginny, thanks for asking.  Only a tingling cold at this point.

Damaris

Fundraising Page