Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Wurst 5-Mile Run (Read 7 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 54th race of 2015 and the first of 3 races I did for the weekend of Nov 7 - 8.  Held on Nov 7 at 8 a.m. the Wurst 5-Miler is part of the annual New Braunfels Wurst Fest festivities and a ticket to the Wurst Fest is included in the goodie bag, along with a very nice tech long-sleeved tech tee shirt.  Race started and finished at Landa Park in New Braunfels about a 30 minute drive from San Antonio.  Raining in San Antonio when I left by when I got to New Braunfels, no rain.  A bit windy and for we South Texans a bit chilly at 55 or so degrees and very cloudy and overcast, but still some pretty decent running weather. This is a very popular event each year and usually has 1,000+ registered each year.   I think the potential of rain, possible course flooding etc, may have kept a few away.  We ended up with about 600 or so participants.  My goal for the 5 miles was under an hour, and I got that done. I felt pretty strong the whole way and finished in 55:41 (about 11:09 per mile)  my last mile was done in 10:41.  I took a lot of photos before, during, and after - more than 100 - so enjoy the show!

BEFORE THE START

Because of the rainy San Antonio weather, I left home early, giving myself plenty of time to take it nice and easy on the drive, and arrived with about an hour to go before start time.  I got my goodie bag and number, and then went around getting some pre-start photos.  I think I had a spot of water or two on my lens because a few of the first photos came out a bit blurry - my apologies to the subjects of these - before I realized it and wiped the lens dean and dry.

Landa Park is a popular spot - especially in good weather - with man-made lake, pavilions, pedal boats for rent, and part of the Comal River flowing through it.

photo 017_zpsf1b3vmdd.jpg

photo 022_zpsahqlmdyt.jpg

photo 023_zpssvlezf9j.jpg

Race Day Registration volunteers who had to be out there way early and probably did get rained on when they showed up.

photo 001_zpsbywvlvop.jpg

photo 002_zpsdwravz8y.jpg

Preparing the shells for the sausage wraps...

photo 004_zpslrhxn6mi.jpg

Volunteers, participants, supporters

photo 005_zpsbmu94dan.jpg

photo 006_zpszwgeb1lt.jpg

photo 007_zpsrn1cb35i.jpg

photo 008_zpsyi7m0iw9.jpg

My friend, Adrian

photo 009_zpsh3ao4ws1.jpg

Our MC in the middle...

photo 010_zpsqidfrxyv.jpg

photo 011_zpsyv1xoyoa.jpg

photo 012_zps2lgh0fzx.jpg

photo 013_zpselz402gn.jpg

These folks are wearing the race shirt long-sleeved tech tees

photo 014_zpsrnzfelfc.jpg

Yes, he ran in that...and was pretty darn speedy too.

photo 015_zpsidruefzu.jpg

photo 016_zpsax3wxt0t.jpg

photo 018_zpscjqd90ht.jpg

My speedy and attractive friend.   I see her at the start of races and at the finish...I'm way too slow to see her on the course, lol.

photo 019_zps9xbcu9vo.jpg

photo 020_zpsgmapicfe.jpg

photo 021_zpstjjcsqpf.jpg

photo 024_zpsv0tqzkhk.jpg

photo 025_zpst1xmml8b.jpg

photo 026_zpslkdyxtri.jpg

photo 027_zpsz7t6bns1.jpg

photo 028_zps8mso9jtk.jpg

Getting ready to go...ahead of me...and behind me..

photo 029_zpsqg0lael0.jpg

photo 030_zps9dpf7bhd.jpg

A tuba player played the National Anthem flawlessly with his tuba - that was pretty impressive - and then we were off.

ON THE COURSE

Out-and-back course, with a few 'rolling hills" along the way, and one 'dip' of a hill we started out on - going down into the dip and up the other side on the way out, and vice-versa going back to the finish, which made the short but fairly steep uphill our last hill at about mile 4.5.  Yeah, the legs could feel that a bit after 4 miles.  I know you people from 'real winter' states will think it's funny, some of these folks wearing jackets, etc, in 50 - 55 degree weather...but  that's chilly for we warm weather South Texans. Just imagine what we feel like when our temps dip down to freezing at times for a little while!  Break out the parkas! 

photo 031_zpsbisj6lvj.jpg

photo 032_zpsu3hh7xvn.jpg

I think the 600+ of us may have interfered with this young lady's training run as she was going the other way.

photo 033_zpszpfi2hn7.jpg

photo 035_zpszoxernns.jpg

photo 036_zpseb1cjnn1.jpg

photo 037_zpsxqlrjx3n.jpg

photo 038_zpsbuppffoe.jpg

My speedy friend, Liza, who was the first woman in.  Finish time 30:10.  Her husband was overall master's at 29:37.  That is a speedy couple!

photo 039_zpstdgyvir1.jpg

photo 040_zpsevwzyfdb.jpg

photo 041_zpsryo5yus8.jpg

photo 043_zpstil0ttzx.jpg

photo 044_zpsbesns3ze.jpg

photo 045_zpshjzyxt1j.jpg

photo 046_zpsa6tort18.jpg

This was 'crazy hill' for the race; because we startled some deer and went hauling from the field to the left and across the road to some woods over there, going in-between some runners and then braving the cars.  Thankfully, I did not see any runners or deer hit.

photo 047_zpsnlfdfk9a.jpg

photo 048_zpstmewgwca.jpg

photo 049_zpsgpfhg2t9.jpg

photo 050_zpsipzudqyy.jpg

photo 051_zps1gwmkfhs.jpg

photo 052_zps66cbudvk.jpg

About 2 or so miles to go now... photo 053_zpsetbjd2vq.jpg

For most of the course, I played "chase-and-catch' with these Fest-dressed lovely ladies;  yeah, it was tough...

photo 054_zpsriopqt9w.jpg

photo 055_zpsmvznvxek.jpg

photo 056_zpsbkkvzzlm.jpg

photo 057_zps7voh8xox.jpg

photo 059_zps3cviffnw.jpg

The last hill..and then about a half mile to go after cresting the top.

photo 060_zpselsgeuop.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

By the time I got done...this was the beer line....

photo 083_zpss1r2rknm.jpg

My friend Adrian came in a couple minutes behind me.

photo 061_zps8hnsx5zk.jpg

"Happy Finishers", volunteers, et al....

photo 062_zpsx8ridjg3.jpg

photo 063_zpszrvv93fy.jpg

photo 064_zpsh8qthjas.jpg

photo 065_zps6kp2hkq7.jpg

photo 066_zpstlwdul5e.jpg

photo 067_zpsghti9n0o.jpg

photo 068_zpsufdtdj2p.jpg

photo 069_zpsyrxkmlqc.jpg

photo 070_zps13wdd8n4.jpg

Another speedy friend of mine, Elaine, and me with my speedy friend Liza and her husband.  Apparently, I know a lot of fast women. 

photo 071_zpsksy4tfqp.jpg

photo 079_zps3ariypk5.jpg

photo 072_zpso1buyhhn.jpg

photo 073_zpsrjkd2nw5.jpg

photo 074_zpsnutc0nz4.jpg

photo 075_zps4w409p3v.jpg

photo 076_zpsm7jadbqx.jpg

photo 077_zpsexrzqp9s.jpg

photo 081_zpskbmsplht.jpg

photo 082_zpswmealwui.jpg

photo 084_zpsip9rwret.jpg

photo 085_zpsrxsnnzjr.jpg

This is "Happy" with her humans.  Funny, I have trouble remembering names of people, but I can remember all the dogs' names lol.

Her humans told me she was a 'leaner' and when I got a photo with her, she leaned comfortably right into my leg.  She is a really sweet dog.

photo 086_zps1yisygit.jpg

photo 087_zpsch9nfbbb.jpg

photo 106_zps1d20qwvs.jpg

What's a Wurst Fest without a wiener dog?  This is the lovely Chloe...I don't remember the people's names...

photo 099_zpshjqiyjho.jpg

photo 100_zpslvy3po4r.jpg

photo 101_zpsktaxzu1o.jpg

Chloe is a better looking dog than my old-dog self..

photo 103_zps52rjpfab.jpg

photo 102_zpswmrzutie.jpg

photo 088_zpsigk15szg.jpg

The AthleteGuild timing folks.  Apparently their boss, Scott, does not allow them to smile...  

photo 089_zpsbu42j1eb.jpg

photo 090_zpsgw46nzty.jpg

photo 091_zps5qee0cm2.jpg

photo 092_zpsxqymk9uj.jpg

photo 094_zpslfty1jmb.jpg

photo 095_zpsfzxtq8cf.jpg

photo 096_zps16s99d8w.jpg

photo 097_zpsr1nptly2.jpg

photo 098_zpsk2aue56f.jpg

MC getting ready to announce the awards

photo 104_zpstejw6vki.jpg

photo 107_zpsomvnswxb.jpg

photo 108_zps2ej5k45j.jpg

EPILOG

This is one of my favorite events in the local area and I have done it several times in the past.  Nice course, unique age-group awards. beer, sausage, lots of friendly people, nice location, and free entry ticket into Wurst Fest.  Definitely do this one if you ever get a chance, I am sure you will not regret it.  Mucho thanks to:  all the law enforcement folks for us out there; and all the volunteers, organizers, and everyone who made this one happen for we participants; and the local-area residents for their patience in allowing us to run through their neighborhoods for a while, making many of their roads get closed off.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like fun.  I hope you managed to get a beer, despite the line.  You really earned it this weekend.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Very cool looking AG awards. Looks like a fun event.

music_girl117

I like the mental "image" (sound, I guess) of the national anthem played on a tuba.   Nice report.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)