Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 23: Easter Paws Run (Read 10 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20Race%20Reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2023%20Easter%20Paws%20Run?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 22nd race of 2018 was Easter Paws Run, a 1.8 mile distance held on April 1 at Runner’s Ranch in San Antonio.  Runner’s Ranch is the property of friends of mine, the amazing and super nice people, the Iniguez family.  Every year theyhold this event on Easter as a fun-run and in memory of their first dog they had on this property.  They love dogs and this is a fun event in which the dogs get the race awards.  The humans who do the run without dogs also get an official time.  Start time of 8:30 a.m.  I arrived at the ranch with about 40 minutes until start time, got my bib and timing chip, and then got some pre-start photos.   And, of course, brought along a jar of chewy doggie biscuit treats for all the 4-legged participants.  Of course, the humans were welcome to them too if they wanted one… and they are actually not too bad, kinda taste like a spicy cookie. 

Laid out my running gear on Sunday morning.  Chose my sloth socks cuz I knew the terrain I would be running on and would be really slow today.  My cat, Sinatra, gave his seal of approval, lol.

Greeted by a couple of the festive decorations at Runner's Ranch

With friend, Don.  I think we were the two oldest dogs there, lol.

Thank you, packet pickup/race day  volunteers

Our MC and Music Man.  Thank you!

One of our hosts, the lovely Lana, giving us race info and sharing MC duties.  She is so good at it she can do it with her eyes closed.

Runner's Ranch co-owner Jose Iniguez, with one of the many doggies that live on the ranch.

Some of the various participants, etc

ON THE COURSE

The trails on this property are very sandy. It is quite like running on a beach, but with just a tad firmer ground in some spot.  With all the rain we had during the past week, the trails were actually packed down a bit more.  Nice for me; usually I am slipping all over the place on these trails and slogging along, which is pretty hard on my back with my arthritis.  But today I felt like I had firmer footing most of the way.  Even so, I still ‘slogged along’ on these trails and ended up with a pretty slow pace, finishing the 1.8 miles in 20:40.   All good though; enjoyed myself out there today and interacting with the other runners/walkers and the doggies.  Some of those darn doggies-and-humans were pretty quick.  The overall winner dog with her human finished first doing a 5:47 pace.  On that sand…good grief!  And congrats!

Some tough terrain on this course!

And there goes my speedier friend, Don.  I was ahead of him for a while.  A short while, lol.

Tough terrain but also some really nice views.  Very peaceful out here.

AFTER MY FINISH

Lots of fun post-race, with MC announcing the doggie winners, and the doggies getting various prizes like really nice doggie blankets, food-and-water bowls, treats, and do so forth. There was also an Easter piñata, with lots of fun watching several people take turns trying to break it open.  It took quite a while; I think my friend Lana may have lead-lined that thing a bit, lol.  😉

Friend Lewis finally broke that thing wide open and the kids had a fun time running for and gathering up all the candy, small items, and whatever else was in there.  After that, food prepared by Minie and her family enjoyed by everyone there, along with water, sodas, and various other things.

Rafael Iniguez doing the timing, results, etc.

This kid kicked my butt on the uphill to the finish line.  He did quite well on the course.

First time Don has run out here.  He survived, lol.

Various finishers, supporters, etc.

Look at the camera, lil doggie....

He did..and then gave me advice about getting his best side, lol.

Two lovely ladies making me look good.  Thanks, ladies.

Got a photo of the official photographer; whose photos, I am sure, will be a lot better than mine.

Some of the award winners - and their humans....

That Pointer dog on the left was first doggie - dragging her human aong at a 5:47 pace, wow!

Pinata time!  It took several people to finally get this thing busted open.

Our primary hosts, Jose and Minnie [whose first name I never spell right, lol] Iniguez, with their old dog and little Cocoa. Thank you so much for inviting us to your ranch!

Thank you Iniguez family!!!!   Raf, Lana, Minnie, and Jose

EPILOGUE

Very nicely done event, lots of fun.  Nice goodie bag given to all who registered too; dog-oriented, of course, with a small leash, tennis ball, and a package of extra-large disposable poop bags to clean up after your doggies on a run or walk. They actually fold pretty well and would fit in a large pocket or shorts waistband, so maybe handy for some long-distance runners on a long run who might need an ‘emergency poop bag” when no toilet available.   ðŸ˜‰  This is always a fun event and the Iniguez family puts on a great show. Runners Ranch is a really nice venue for an event – and I simply like the place cuz there as just so many dogs out there all the time to interact with.    The trails I can deal with, as long as I go slowly – but one day I will convince Jose to pave at least a portion of them for me.  😉  Then again…maybe not.

Mucho thanks to the Iniguez family for their hospitality and all their helpers that were out there for us doing setup, packet pickup duties, clean up, and whatever else.  Love you guys and looking forward to seeing you at many more events in the future.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

It looks like a pretty place to run and a fun event.