Beginners and Beyond

In two words? ****** MonDAILIES (Read 44 times)

LRB

Ha-ha, wassup crew?  It's time to get it crack-a-lackin up in this biatch!

Because of that that stupid seminar I was a little short on my weekend miles so I am heading out for a run to keep my legs in tune with a couple of goals I have this month.

What are you doing on this first Monday of November?

Toronto

Seven Deadly Shins

good morning all

Still on daylight savings time here in NYC... woke up at 5:00 am.  Driving back today.  A bit sore after that little jog yesterday but not too bad.

stay classy B&B folks

I woke up & saw it was 5:00, which is way too early for me when I'm not running. But figured I was still adjusting to the time change, so might as well just get up. Went downstairs to realize the only clock in the house I had not changed was the one in my bedroom, and it was actually 4:00.  Stayed up anyway, what am I gonna do at that point.

Ortho appointment at 8:30. Hopefully they will tell me that the medical term for what I have is a "wittle boo-boo", and that I should stop being an idiot & just give it some time to heal properly. Will report back in later.

Dave

Cyberic

Have a nice run Rick, and a good drive back TO.

Dave, hopefully you get good news.

Recovery day today. Some slow running around an indoor track. Pretty boring stuff.

happylily

No running until Wednesday night for me, lots of city walking coming up, though. My legs are still throbbing, but they should be good to go when I go back to work on Thursday.

TO, safe travel home!

Have a great day!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

Happy Monday!!  I am on Day 2 of my taper, and so far I am holding up just fine.  I've got 7-8 miles planned after work today.  I've averaged 62 mpw over the past 16 weeks.  Not too shabby.  I feel like I need a full three week taper.  Between last cycle and this cycle, I held a 60 mpw avg for six months.  Not six consecutive months, but still.  

<3

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Rest day for me (of course), not feeling as sore as I did yesterday but it did get stiffer after the 3 hour ride home. I've got all my alarms for anything before 7:15 AM turned off until I feel good and ready to start hitting the roads/trails again.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

November 3 is Sandwich Day!

Do you have a favorite sandwich?

Nov 3 is also Housewives Day!  So do something nice for that person who manages your household.

Non-running day for me today.   Did these two 5Ks over the weekend:

Day Of The Dead 5K, lots of crazy costumes in this one!   http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/514a4530eba04f9c980b9c84bcded473/resume#focus

Membership Appreciation Runs:  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/11a3a4a398094be3ae2e50cc201b1db1/resume#focus

Also, we have a new addition to our household, our newest 'rescue' cat.  Gail and I think this poor kitty was abandoned by some folks who used to live in the neighborhood behind us.  He is obviously used to people because he is the sweetest, most mellow cat ever, showed up one day, skinny, hungry, came right up to us, let us pick him up, pet him, etc.   We named him "Sinatra" because of his blue eyes.  We patiently got to know each other, let him continue living outside for a while and fed him every day. Then we gradually let him come inside for a while and let him out when he wanted.   Our other cats are still a little 'iffy' about him, but they pretty much have accepted him for the most part.  Now he comes in on his own and is quite used to us, as you can see from the photo I got of him and Gail napping...

photo 002_zpsd2b9704c.jpg

photo 001_zpscb8103f8.jpg

He's a sweetheart, I don't get why anyone would abandon him.   So we're gonna take him in. Next stop is the vet for medical exam, shots, chip, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning. Our flight was cancelled so we get to spend 2 extra hours here.  Travel day and I have a chest congestion.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

7.5 with 3 x 1 at tempo pace done!

One of the things I experimented with this past cycle was mile repeats at tempo pace, along with my usual intervals of 1200 meters or 5 minutes at tempo pace .

Mile repeats are mentally a little tougher but physically I believe better for me so moving forward they will become a staple. Eventually I will work my way up to 4 miles but for now 3 is it, leaving my beloved 1200 meter and 5 minute intervals at tempo pace behind.

Docket_Rocket

You know your race was windy when you get hit by empty water cups on the course. I was hit at least 5 times.

Stuck at the hotel now. Apparently the whole hotel wants to leave at the same time and all the elevatora are full.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

StepbyStep-SH

Sending healing and recovery vibes to everyone who raced over the weekend or is injured!

Me? I am mentally committing to a sub-4 marathon the first weekend of June 2015 at the Sandhills Marathon. I think I have about 5 people I went to high school with willing to come run the half or marathon there. It is near where we all grew up. The challenges? Get my mileage back where it needs to be, reintroduce speedwork, and lose 15 pounds. Oh yeah, I will also need to stay up 'til midnight New Year's Eve, because the two races are capped at, I think, 150 people total and filled in 22 hours last year.

So this morning, I ran to and from the group run for 10.7 miles total.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

You know your race was windy when you get hit by empty full water cups on the course.

FYP...I heard there was some of this too!

Step, congrats on the commitment! But a June marathon? Aren't you worried it's going to be too warm?

Anyway, diagnosis from the ortho: patellar tendinitis. Estimated recovery: 6 weeks.

Good news, I guess: my X-rays looked good, apparently no signs of any arthritis. So there's that.

Anti-inflammatories & PT prescribed. I am not too big on the drugs but he was pretty insistent that this would help recovery. And my feelings on physical therapy are that you can't spell PITA without PT. But he was pretty insistent on that as well, mainly for the ultrasound therapy.

So looks like the best-case scenario is I'll be ready to run again by the time there's 2 feet of snow on the ground. Yay!

Dave

delicate flower

Scotty, very cute kitty!  AWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

<3

delicate flower

FYP...I heard there was some of this too!

Step, congrats on the commitment! But a June marathon? Aren't you worried it's going to be too warm?

Anyway, diagnosis from the ortho: patellar tendinitis. Estimated recovery: 6 weeks.

Good news, I guess: my X-rays looked good, apparently no signs of any arthritis. So there's that.

Anti-inflammatories & PT prescribed. I am not too big on the drugs but he was pretty insistent that this would help recovery. And my feelings on physical therapy are that you can't spell PITA without PT. But he was pretty insistent on that as well, mainly for the ultrasound therapy.

So looks like the best-case scenario is I'll be ready to run again by the time there's 2 feet of snow on the ground. Yay!

Interesting...seems weird since that is an overuse injury but you suffered trauma.  WTF do I know tough.  Maybe the fall just aggravated something that was already there.  Anyway, sorry to hear about the additional six weeks on the DL.  Speaking from personal experience though, you'll get back up to speed in no time.  

<3