Beginners and Beyond

Planning vacations around races (Read 108 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That's how I do it, makes it easier for DH to agree on going out of town for a race. My 1st one was in April and the next 2 this Fall will be in Indy. We'll take Dorian to the zoo and do some sightseeing, get there on Friday, run the race Saturday and enjoy the rest of that day, then use Sunday to just go places.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Mostly harmless

This is exactly my problem, too. He doesn't run and while he doesn't mind if I run while we're on vacation, right now he doesn't understand why on earth I'd want to run a race.

Our favorite NJ shore town has a half marathon this year on our anniversary (September 29) so making it an anniversary trip might not be bad, but that's probably not the ideal way to spend our day together.

Same. My DW is fully supportive of my running addiction but a vacation centered around a race for me wouldn't exactly be a great way to spend time together.  However, I could see it working out if the scheduling was something like:

1. Arrive at destination on Saturday, check into rental and go to the expo.

2. Race Sunday morning.

3. Spend the rest of the week lounging in the sand with a umbrella drinks.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

BruceD555

Same. My DW is fully supportive of my running addiction but a vacation centered around a race for me wouldn't exactly be a great way to spend time together.  However, I could see it working out if the scheduling was something like:

1. Arrive at destination on Saturday, check into rental and go to the expo.

2. Race Sunday morning.

3. Spend the rest of the week lounging in the sand with a umbrella drinks.

This ^^ would be the way to go for me. I'm not sure reversing the schedule to race @ the end of the vacation would work for TaperBruce, just sayin'

Train smart ... race smarter.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I've recently had 2 difference scenarios regarding this occur:

1. I got drawn for the lottery for the Grandma's HM. I had sticker shock when booking a room, especially with the 2 night minimum. I started looking at the timing of everything and realized that my wife would probably have a crummy day. She's not in to crowds and things just didn't seem appealing. (Lesson learned here was don't do a big race in a medium size town.) What I will end up doing is waiting until a couple weeks before the race and try to score a hotel room as cheap as possible for one night (after they lift the 2 night min. requirement). If that doesn't work out I'll go camping. Worst case scenario is sleep in my car or pickup.

2. My wife wanted to go to a bridal party a few hours away, and she enticed me with a HM that was near by. We got a hotel about 15 min away. We did a 3 day weekend and things worked out pretty great. My 1 year old did make it difficult at times, but things worked out. In that situation I just had to put on my running gear and leave the hotel; I really couldn't come back and get ready.

I could definitely see us doing destination races in the future. You just have to look at the scenario and I would strongly recommend booking your stuff as far in advance as possible, as long as you can cancel if your plans change.

- Andrew

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Same. My DW is fully supportive of my running addiction but a vacation centered around a race for me wouldn't exactly be a great way to spend time together.

+1 I don't believe that one can even sell this as a vacation to a partner. It's kind of hard to say "oh whoops, we ended up here and there's a race I want to do". You're much better explaining that you want to go somewhere for a race, and that you'd love their company, but that it wouldn't count  as "taking a vacation together". If you can't afford to do your race and a vacation that they're more interested in, then you're going to want to think long and hard about whether or not your race is worth it :P.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Docket_Rocket

Before I choose the date for the vacation, I check the marathon for that city and plan the vacation around that. I have also signed for the race and then plan for a vacation around it.

and we have had great vacations around my marathons.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RSX

RSX, hubby, myself and the RD Patrick are looking forward to seeing you.Smile

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys also!! Early training is going okay. I figure that I can always sign up for 1 and switch to the other when I get up there if need be. Definitely won't be a PR but have been looking forward to it for quite a while.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've raced on vacation only twice and one race wasn't planned. The first one was a marathon. The race was a disappointment because I started developing blisters early, a VERY rare occurrence for me, so I DNSed. As a result it didn't have a major impact on the rest of our activities. The second one I was single again and visiting my former coach who was coaching a HS xc team. They had a meet while I was visiting that included an open xc race so I ran it.

I'm thinking more about combining vacarions and races now. I've had two vacations that involved FEs and races but I wasn't running the races, only cheering. I expect to have more mini-vacations involving both races and FEs in the future, but then I don't have a wife or family that I need to accomodate. Not sure how my family would react to my racing while visiting them.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

bobruns

I do it every year.  We call it "girly weekend".  I plan a destination HM with sister and friend.  They don't run but love the 'destination" part.  This year we are going to CT.  Last year it was Cape Cod.  We have done ME, VT and Disney.  It is a blast.

Notice I keep them as "girly weekends".  When I vacation with DH I don't usually race.  He doesn't mind if I run but...

onemile

I prefer to make vacations out of vacations and do local races.

cmb4314

Having a non-running spouse, I can tell you if we planned a vacation & I told her I was going to run a marathon while we were there, you would not want to be around for the response. As it was, last time we went out of town for the weekend & I expressed concern with finding the time & route for a LR, she was in disbelief that I was even thinking about it.

We took a 4 day trip to New Orleans this February for my husband and I to both run the marathon....and I broke my ankle and couldn't run it, so it essentially turned into a trip for my husband to run the marathon.

It is definitely somewhat different because I am a runner, and I can really appreciate what my husband was doing.

But really?  The race very minimally impacted how we spent our time on the trip.  We took an hour or so to peruse the expo on Saturday, and we made sure to pick a dinner location on Saturday night where he could get something a little bit plainer, but I could still get something interesting.  Neither one of us is a night owl, and we were both tired from getting in really late on Saturday night, so it didn't matter that he went to bed early.  I slept in while he went to the race, had a nice leisurely morning getting some food and reading a book, walked a few blocks and watched the race as he ran by, and he was back to the hotel in time for us to go to lunch.

Was a nice, relaxing vacation, marathon or not Smile

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

DW and I booked a vacation to Ft Myers Beach Florida back in March for this coming week. After I booked the Condo and flight i decided to see what was going on in the area during our stay. Sure enough I found a 5K just a few miles from where we are staying. I have rented a couple of bikes to get us there since we are not renting a car this year.

She does mostly run/walk and i am still with a bad knee. I could probably run the entire race but we will do it together this year at least and do it to simply have fun and jump in the Gulf upon completion.

Hopefully we will return next year and I can actually race instead of limping to the end.....:-)

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Hip Redux

You might need a time machine for that.

Heh.  OOPS.   2014 and 2015 Big grin

Ultra Cowboy

Recovering from a race seems like a good vacation strategy.  My first race, the Mayors Marathon in Anchorage, I went Halibut fishing in Seward the next day, and visited Talkeetna for 3 days after.  If your spouse isn't into race day spectating, They can do what they want on that day that isn't YOUR thing.

Since then my racing has been close to home trail racing where an overnight camping trip was the accommodations.

Truth be told a little DOMS kinda helps me gear down and relax. The night after the race is usually a time of high emotion and party atmosphere.

But I'd probably find something out of race city central to vacation at so you aren't competing with everyone else who had the same idea.

The race is one persons "thing" so the Vacation has to focus on the other half's interests.

WYBMADIITY

Save

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

We have. My dh runs a little so he doesn't mind. If we are going o a destination race I will do the full he will do a 10k if there is one. We then make sure to have several days for sight seeing or visiting. I've had some great FEs at destination races. My June race I'm only taking one extra day and dh is not going. But, November we will take an extra week, see friends we have not seen in years, tour around etc.

Marjorie