Beginners and Beyond

Humpday WednesDAILIES (Read 44 times)

Good Morning Runners!

Taper time.... 4mi 9:13avg recovery effort.

Race Day Checklist

• Begin to completely doubt myself.                       Check 
    • Have some part of body thats questionable.       Check
    • Crappy taper run                                                 Check

Looks like I'm ready to race!

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Runshorti- Good luck with that workout! Sounds like fun

Dave- Looks like a tough one. I don't know how you all remember these complex workouts. Seems like it would be difficult to track your progress as well.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Cyberic

Dave- Looks like a tough one. I don't know how you all remember these complex workouts. Seems like it would be difficult to track your progress as well.

Yeah, Dave, how do you remember such a workout?

bluerun

Super B****

5.25, or 5 according to the 620 ... I give up. Ordering the Mk1.  (If you think about it, it's quite nice of my 620 to do this and help me alleviate the guilt of buying a new device.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

Do we need to constantly force ourselves to run slower on easy days? I say no.

Oh, and by the way, here's what MacMillan has to say about it: https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/are-you-a-fast-trainer-or-slow-trainer/

Oh, and by the way, here's what MacMillan has to say about it: https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/are-you-a-fast-trainer-or-slow-trainer/

Very interesting. I don't think we should be forcing a slow down either. When I'm nearing my peak training weeks in a cycle, my "easy" runs are at the slower end or even slower. If I'm taking a couple recovery weeks; my pace drops to the faster end of what Daniels says should be easy. I don't sweat it.

delicate flower

'Morning!!  2300 yard swim done before work.  Bike workout tonight.

I agree and I've been told my easy runs are too fast (but not by my coach).  The article basically says to do what feels natural, and that's what I do.  Super slow runs, like 90-120 seconds slower per mile than my normal easy pace, feels unnatural and my body isn't used to it.

<3

oldfartrunner

Morning Runners,

Undecided on the workout cause had a little ankle pain?  Will see later once I get movin around.

Dave: Good luck with that complex workout.

Jay: Funny!  Aren't all tapers the same?

Cy: Yeah, fast or slow end, it's all aerobic. Even MP or MP +10-30 is aerobic, depending on your shape. You could run this pace all the time after a warmup-if you could handle it.  Most new runners run too fast on easy days cause they don't have "gears" yet, and run very low mileage usually.

A running buddy I had back in the day always pushed the pace when we ran easy, but we were pretty close in racing times, but he tended to not run up to his potential on race days. IMO, he left most his races in workouts and easy runs. He would also do very hard workouts, above what I did or wanted to do. I just said no. Smile

Too, much speed work and too fast easy runs will not work for most people, IMO. But for some, this takes them to a new level, and they are wired that way.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

OFR - Very true indeed.  I can only speak for myself (because scientific ethical guidelines say I can only do human experiments on myself), but personal observations....

2014 Avg training pace - 8:30, marathon pace - 8:53

2015 Avg training pace - 9:00, marathon pace - 8:07

2016 Avg training pace - 9:15, marathon pace - 7:54

This year, however, I think I mixed gravy with fruit juice, so nothing came out well.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

onemile

I'm all for running a faster pace if the effort feels easy

but not for running "medium effort" on easy days

LRB

There was a runner around these parts back in the day who used to say that most people run their easy runs too fast, which was just lazy to make a blanket statement like that.

Easy is easy, the pace is merely a byproduct of that. Whatever easy is to you is all that matters. "Forciing" oneself to run slow is stupid. Unless of course you're on a LSR (long slow run), which is usually reserved for people training for their first marathon.

LRB

I'm all for running a faster pace if the effort feels easy

but not for running "medium effort" on easy days

I've never really done that, unless I was pressed for time or something. But otherwise, I'm either running easy, quality or recovery. That last of which actually picks me, I don't pick it.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 11 with 5 at MP tonight.

I agree, easy is an effort.  But many people do believe they are running easy when they are running medium effort and like OFR said, then they leave it all in training and don't race their potential. Finding the happy medium takes time and patience.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

I am in no danger of running my easy runs too fast. They tend to be at least 1 minute per mile slower than the range McMillan gives.

Docket, I'll try to get a picture of my treadmill tonight. It was something my neighbor was going to throw away and asked DH for help taking it to the dump. It's never been calibrated.

GinnyinPA

My easy is closer to medium effort a lot of the time. Running hills most days makes it hard to really know what is easy, because uphill feels like an effort, regardless of pace, and downhill or flat feels so easy in comparison. I use the McMillan paces as a guide and tend to be on the faster end. The recent HM PR wasn't a surprise, given that my easy paces have gotten about 15 seconds per mile faster recently.