Beginners and Beyond

Question about the beer after a race (Read 183 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Do I seriously have to have my i.d? Trying to think of my bibs without actually seeing them, I could swear they have your age on the bib and I think that should be enough because my i.d is going to be in the hotel room (I could put in the diaper bag and DH can give it to me if I really need it). Otherwise I will just buy beer at some store damn it and then celebrate with a margarita or two at the restaurant after the race. Cool

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Stick it in the diaper bag just in case. Can't hurt.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Better I Leave

I'm looking forward to the free pancake breakfast after the Running of The Elk this Sunday....Heck with the beer...gimme pancakes. Smile

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I want the beer, I will stick it in the diaper bag just in case Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Better I Leave

I want the beer, I will stick it in the diaper bag just in case Smile

I understand. Even LTH endorses beer, so it must be good. Wink **giggle**

I'll stick w/ my pancakes. Smile

Docket_Rocket

In here, you don't need to.  They use the beer tag on the bib for it.  And they do have your age on the bib.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RSX

If this is race beer, I have never seen runners getting carded in MA anyway. Most of my marathons involved me driving home at some point so I usually had ID.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I know that at Warrior Dash you had to show your ID, and get a wrist band.

I just have to ask, does anybody really think that a race bib is a legitimate form of identification when excise officers decide to crack down on your event?  Not that a single runner would get in trouble.  The person serving the beer would be in a world of hurt though, if they served beer to anyone with their age on a race bib.  Your age is whatever you entered during your online registration.  It's pretty meaningless.  I worked every weekend in a bar for 7 years, and just got a temporary beer and wine license for a wedding reception.  They're pretty specific about what passes for identification, and race bib ain't cuttin' it.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

I usually just tape my ID (with some cash folded up behind it) to the back of my bib.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I should probably clarify my point.  There's a chance that they may not check your ID.  I'm always surprised at the risks people are willing to take, but you can't be upset if they do require ID.  Most excise laws require a government issued photo ID.  The penalties are not worth the risk to the person serving "free" beer.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

In here, you don't need to.  They use the beer tag on the bib for it.  And they do have your age on the bib.

+1, same for Texas races, where they have beer.   They usually just check the bib tag if they need to.  In my case, as old as I look, I am obviously 'of age'  to drink beer, lol.

I am opposite from Dave.  Give me the beer over the pancakes any day.  I am probably one of the very few runners who actually does not like pancakes.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

+1, same for Texas races, where they have beer.   They usually just check the bib tag if they need to.  In my case, as old as I look, I am obviously 'of age'  to drink beer, lol.

I am opposite from Dave.  Give me the beer over the pancakes any day.  I am probably one of the very few Americans who actually does not like pancakes.

Fixed that for ya'.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Thanks all, I'll see if I can carry my i.d with me and if not then in the diaper bag just in case.

PRs

cmb4314

Every time I've had beer after a race, they've checked ID/given out a wristband at the expo.

They've done that at two HMs I've run locally, a local triathlon that my husband did last summer, and at the RnR New Orleans marathon that I was just at in February.

For the first three, which were probably 5000-10000 finisher kind of sized races, it was a short line to get the wristband.  In New Orleans, which was pretty huge, my husband took a look at the line for wristbands and just decided he would forego beer the next day because the line wasn't worth his time.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Age is on the bib . . .  usually.

Beer after the race is good but beer at mile 23 of a marathon is FUCKING AMAZING!!!!!