Beginners and Beyond

Question about the beer after a race (Read 183 times)

delicate flower

I give away my beer tickets.  The random lucky runner usually seems happy to accept.

Edit to add:  I gave away my beer ticket after the Hartford Marathon last year, then it turned out you got a Hartford Marathon pint glass when you got your beer.  I SUCK!  I will make sure I check into that before giving away my beer ticket all willy nilly next time.  Talk about about taking a punch to the nuts.

<3

GC100k

I've done the Tulsa marathon twice.  The first time they gave each runner a couple tickets for beer.  Nevertheless, all the beer was gone by the time the mid-pack marathoners finished.  Oh well, there was plenty of pizza and burgers.

This last fall there was a table with bananas and breadsticks immediately at the finish.  I walked past that to look for the burgers and beer.  Turns out you needed money to get any food or drink and I had no cash or card with me.  They wouldn't let me go back to the bananas and breadstick table, so I got absolutely nothing.  Should have read the fine print I guess.

happylily

How can you guys drink beer after a race? I have a hard time eating a piece of bagel or half a banana when I finish. Don't talk to me about either pizza or beer for at least 2 or 3 hours after... And burgers? Pancakes? Barf!!! Tight lips

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

GC100k

How can you guys drink beer after a race? I have a hard time eating a piece of bagel or half a banana when I finish. Don't talk to me about either pizza or beer for at least 2 or 3 hours after... And burgers? Pancakes? Barf!!! Tight lips

One 25k race I did had beer and chili at the finish, which was the halfway point for the 50k.  No problem after, but not in the middle of the race.

Another half was handing out cans of beer at about 10 miles.

Last fall I had a cheeseburger in the middle of a long run.  No problem.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I haven't before, this will be my first time drinking a beer after a race Big grin

I've always gone to either denny's or Cracker Barrel after my Half Marathons, I'm usually starving.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

BruceD555

I'm with you on this one ... immediately after finishing I'm happy if I can drink water - FORGET Gatorade! I'll usually snag a banana or bagel to take with me to eat an hour or two later but no way could I eat pizza ... and. I LOVE pizza.. Oh yeah, I'm like Baboon too and give away my beer coupon to some random person .... happy may be an understatement on their expression.

Train smart ... race smarter.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Come visit Texas for a few weeks, Lily, we'll get you post-race-beer acclimated.   Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

How can you guys drink beer after a race?

What I don't get is the beer truck at the 9:00 AM 5K's.  Even when I was a drinkin' man I would have passed on that.

<3

Luke79

I guess it's a Louisiana thing?  We just have a couple of big ass coolers and you just, you know, grab one.  And chug a lug.

What I don't get is the beer truck at the 9:00 AM 5K's.  Even when I was a drinkin' man I would have passed on that.

Oh man!  I think it is PERFECT.  (But then you are talking to the guy who will eat a Steak for Breakfast, and then make up some Grits and Egg Sandwiches for dinner...)

Run that 5K real hard at 9AM...  Grab a bottle of water in the minutes after the race to hydrate a bit, then move over to the Beeeeer truck and keep refilling that cup as you chat with your friends.

Then go home, tired from the race, tired from the beer, and take a couple hour nap. :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Haven't been to many golf outings then eh?

#artbydmcbride

I usually just tape my ID (with some cash folded up behind it) to the back of my bib.

good to know.....how much cash are we talking about?

Runners run

RSX

I'm doing a race at a bar Saturday that is walking distance from home. Free beer after

This reminds me. I need to buy beer for sat.

Btw. Beer and a lemon lime gu at mile 24 is F'n great. Possibly best beer ever.

Mimosa in a Gatorade bottle after a race wasn't bad either.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Mmmmm...beer

My last half started at 7:00am, I had a beer in my hand before 9. Smile

For the OP's question, my last two HMs had an ID check at the expo and they gave you a bracelet so you didn't need your ID after the race, made it nice and easy.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!