Beginners and Beyond

Is this a fast field? (results from a 5k) (Read 142 times)

music_girl117

Hey everyone,

Just curious...I ran a 5k yesterday, and 43 out of 760 finishers did it in under 20 minutes (http://www.compuscore.com/cs2013/sept/jimmyd.htm ). My unscientific opinion is that that seems like a lot as a proportion of the whole field.  Is that typical for a 5k?  By the way, the winner finished in 15:50!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That sounds about right for a field that size for that area. I went to one of the local race timing companies and this is what I found for the first 5K I looked at: 22nd Annual Run for Tony 5Km Haddonfield, NJ

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Love the Half

You're talking about roughly 5% of the field being faster than 20:00 and I'd guess that's about right for most races.  Granted, you'll have the occasional outlier where the winning time is slower than 20:00 but those are fairly rare.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

At glance, it looks like an average/typical field for men, and a really fast field for the women. Every race around here looks like that for dudes, but I've never run a race with that many women under 19/20.

MTA: local race, that is.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

That sounds about right for a field that size for that area. I went to one of the local race timing companies and this is what I found for the first 5K I looked at: 22nd Annual Run for Tony 5Km Haddonfield, NJ

Hmmm, that's where I grew up - only it was Green Valley Dairy then, and the school kids all had field trips there to see the cows. I'd heard it had changed. It wasn't directly on our way home, but within walking distance - as long as we let our parents know we'd be late after practice.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I checked back on my race log to 1996 and the CoreStates Corporate Run in Philadelphia. This was a large race, about 1500-1800 runners. I don't have a record of the winning time, probably in the mid to high 14s, but my 19:54 only got 175th. In a smaller race, 200-300 runners, a couple months later I again ran 19:54 and finished 34th with the winning time in the low 15s.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

GC100k

Looked at a 5k I did: 41 of the 185 finishers (men and women) ran under 20 minutes.  So between one-fifth and one-forth were under 20 minutes and higher than that for men.

In the few times I stuck around for age group awards, I never saw an award in my age group that was over 20 minutes.

update: from the names, it looks like those results are just the men.

happylily

At glance, it looks like an average/typical field for men, and a really fast field for the women. Every race around here looks like that for dudes, but I've never run a race with that many women under 19/20.

MTA: local race, that is.

Yes. A 20:00 isn't all that fast for a man. It's not slow, but certainly not super fast, especially if the man is under 40. It's like a 23:00 for a 40 yo woman. Not bad, but not incredible either.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

That's similar to most of the races I've run, although I will say that I typically seek out races that have had some strong competition in the past.  In the end, it's still about going out and running the best you can on a given day.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

delicate flower

It looks pretty fast to me, granted I only look at it as how it relates to me.  If I stick my PR time in there, it'll place me in the 87th OA percentile.  Most of my races will put my current PR in the 93rd-96th OA percentile.  If I ran my PR time in this race (21:13), 61 of 409 men in my AG would have beaten me, and I'd be saying "You gotta be sh*tting me!"

<3

Mmmmm...beer

Depends on the race around here.  Some races I can win my AG, and others, like the last one my club put on, the top three in my AG were all 17min!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

music_girl117

Hmm, interesting.  I kind of thought that sub-20 was like a "holy grail"; very hard to achieve.  Sounds like maybe I was wrong about that, at least for the guys.  Not to take anything away from those who can do it though!  Smile  Wish I could, although it wouldn't have helped me in this particular race: top 6 women in my AG (25-29) were under 20, and most of them WELL under.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

In my limited experience, in NYC it depends on which organization is putting on the race, if there are team points on the line for the local running clubs, and if there is good prize money at stake. For example, in March I ran a very difficult and extremely hilly 5K in which there were 5,825 finishers with 2 sub-15 finishers (the winner was 14:44), 23 sub-16 finishers, and 371 sub-20 finishers (6.4%). THAT is a fast field!! But this race was for team points, and was put on by NYRR, our biggest organization. In contrast, a flat and fast course (albeit the weather was hotter and more humid than the former) put on by a smaller organization, NYC Runs yesterday (the 5K companion to my fateful 10K....the 5K race was completed because it ended for most people before the fire began) there were 287 finishers....the winner posted a 17:04 and there were 10 sub-20s (3.5%).

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

This is a 5K race that takes place not too far from where I live. How would you like to run a 14:54 5K and come in 8th place? That wasn't me BTW. I 'm just sayin'!

http://www.yellowjacketracing.com/files/user/Thater2012OveralResults2012.pdf

The winner ran a 14:06 which is a 4:33 pace!

SUSchnauzer

Run Long, Hard, and Fast

This is a 5K race that takes place not too far from where I live. How would you like to run a 14:54 5K and come in 8th place? That wasn't me BTW. I 'm just sayin'!

http://www.yellowjacketracing.com/files/user/Thater2012OveralResults2012.pdf

The winner ran a 14:06 which is a 4:33 pace!