Beginners and Beyond

To push it or not to push it (this saturday's HM) (Read 79 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Okay so this Saturday is the Evansville Half Marathon and that will mark 4 weeks until my debut marathon (!!!!!!!).

My question is, should I take it easy and enjoy it, counting it as part of lr mileage (I have a trail 5k later in the evening) or can I give a little effort without jeopardizing my marathon training or the marathon experience itself?

I don't want togo "all out" this Saturday, I just want another sub 2 hour finish. Am I making any sense?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

What does a sub-2:00 mean in relation to your marathon pace?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

What does a sub-2:00 mean in relation to your marathon pace?

If you are not going to run it all out, this might be a chance to do MP miles in a race environment.

Damaris

onemile

I don't see the point of giving it a little effort but not all the effort.  And I don't think running it at GMP will tell you anything about if that is the correct GMP. But if you want to do it as a LR with GMP miles for the sake of that workout, I guess...

happylily

I don't see the point of giving it a little effort but not all the effort.  And I don't think running it at GMP will tell you anything about if that is the correct GMP. But if you want to do it as a LR with GMP miles for the sake of that workout, I guess...

I used to think that as well. But having raced HMs hard in the middle of training and not being able to recover properly for the remaining weeks. and then getting to marathon race day in a less than ideal state, I will now either avoid HMs in the middle of marathon training, or taper and recover for them (thus adjusting my training cycle for them), or run them at a lesser effort. I just can't get all I want anymore.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I used to think that as well. But having raced HMs hard in the middle of training and not being able to recover properly for the remaining weeks. and then getting to marathon race day in a less than ideal state, I will now either avoid HMs in the middle of marathon training, or taper and recover for them (thus adjusting my training cycle for them), or run them at a lesser effort. I just can't get all I want anymore.

That is exactly why I am asking, I've read a lot articles on marathon training and they consistently say if you can race (all out) short distance races during marathon training without feeling fatigued, then you aren't training right. But I assume that also depends on the goal one has for a marathon.

I am pretty sure I can finish around my current HM pr without any TRUE all out effort, I just don't want it jeopardizing my training, as in having to take more than 2 days off from running or having to cut my mileage the following week when I don't technically plan on tapering until 2 weeks out.

My last hm was in may (not all out effort, but it sure felt like it due to heat) and I ran 5 miles the day after and it seemed to have aggravated my right ankle causing me to take more days and then take easy. Thankfully my marathon training hadn't began by that point.

And again I have no TRUE gmp set, it is my first marathon and I really won't know what I am capable of until race day. I just know I want to finish under 4:30:00, that is my modest first time marathon virgin goal...... so sue me 

But any advice would be greatly appreciated.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

onemile

Ha, no one can get all they want. And this was part of what went wrong with my marathon last fall. I raced a hard half and then tried to resume my training without any recovery and I just showed up on marathon day tired.  This time I took it easier this week to make up for it.

But I guess what I am saying is, if you run it hardISH but not all out, it won't really tell you anything about your fitness. And maybe that's fine. FS seems to have a conservative goal in mind and doesn't seem to be looking to get any answers about MP from this race.

happylily

Ha, no one can get all they want. And this was part of what went wrong with my marathon last fall. I raced a hard half and then tried to resume my training without any recovery and I just showed up on marathon day tired.  This time I took it easier this week to make up for it.

But I guess what I am saying is, if you run it hardISH but not all out, it won't really tell you anything about your fitness. And maybe that's fine. FS seems to have a conservative goal in mind and doesn't seem to be looking to get any answers about MP from this race.

I agree. FS, if your HM PR is 1:55 and you plan on finishing somewhere around 2:00, I don't see the harm in that. It won't be a predictor, like onemile said, but it can be used as some sort of rehearsal for hydration, gear, etc...

Cyberic

Okay so this Saturday is the Evansville Half Marathon and that will mark 4 weeks until my debut marathon (!!!!!!!).

My question is, should I take it easy and enjoy it, counting it as part of lr mileage (I have a trail 5k later in the evening) or can I give a little effort without jeopardizing my marathon training or the marathon experience itself?

I don't want togo "all out" this Saturday, I just want another sub 2 hour finish. Am I making any sense?

I ran all out yesterday in a HM. The rest of the day I couldn't eat properly, no stomach for food. Last night, although dead tired, I did not sleep well at all. Today I have no energy still. I went to work, but called it quits at 10 and came back home for a full day to recover. I feel like I feel the day after a heavy drinking day.

Then there is the matter of my quads have DOMS, I look very funny when I walk down stairs.

My opinion would be not to race the half all out 4 weeks before your marathon. I don't think it would be productive.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Nah, my lrs have been enough for me to know how my fueling and hydration strategy will go. I am just loyal to this particular HM, but I would lose my mind if I either injure myself or do nit get to the marathon start line ready and fresh.

Being my first marathon, I don't know what to fully expect but ido know I want to finish strong, I want to finish knowing I gave it me best even for a first timer, but I also did it smart (not going out extremely fast in the first half). It would probably take 2-3 marathons to gain the confidence  before I can really set a goal and gmp.

PRs

I used to think that as well. But having raced HMs hard in the middle of training and not being able to recover properly for the remaining weeks. and then getting to marathon race day in a less than ideal state, I will now either

1. avoid HMs in the middle of marathon training, or

2. taper and recover for them (thus adjusting my training cycle for them), or

3. run them at a lesser effort.

I just can't get all I want anymore.

This pretty much covers the options!

I would personally opt for #1, 4 weeks out. But you seem to be committed to running this - any particular reason why?

#2 is an option if you do decide to race all-out; at least reduced mileage/intensity the week before & after. Of course 4 weeks does not give you much time to do that, resume marathon training, and taper again. The flipside is that since this is your first marathon, as long as you finish it will be a PR. So if you have had solid training till now, some extra tapering over the next 4 weeks may not be such a dealbreaker.

I have not tried #3 for any race yet, if I pay the money & go through the hassle to show up, might as well give it my best effort. But plenty of people enjoy races for the social aspect, or to add it to the list, or whatever. So certainly that can be an option for you. But then run it at whatever training pace you would use if it was not a race.

Dave

If it were me, then I would take it easy and enjoy it. I wouldn't want to risk jeopardizing my first marathon experience. If you can go sub-2 hours at a comfortable pace (or maybe pushing it just a bit), then that's what I would go for. And if you end up needing a little extra recovery time than you thought, then I would take it. No use in skipping recovery to get in extra miles only to get hurt - I have first hand experience at how frustrating that can be. Tongue

Good luck! Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

LRB

I have nothing to offer one way or the other but can tell you when I was training for my first marathon I would not have touched an event with a 39 and a half foot pole!

See, told you I had nothing to offer.  lol

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

This race is very important to me because, as cheesy as it may be, it is the race that inspired me to begin my running journey and as long as I am able to I will run this race every year.

I am on a stupid touchscreen nook and it deleted everything I just typed

I know a sub 2 hour won't be too difficult for me, though I am not tapering for this half, I will rest the day before and the day after, then resume my marathon training.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I have nothing to offer one way or the other but can tell you when I was training for my first marathon I would not have touched an event with a 39 and a half foot pole!

See, told you I had nothing to offer.  lol

I wouldn't be carrying a 39 and a half foot pole 

PRs