Beginners and Beyond

Dumber Race Question (Read 86 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

If you need to wear a throw away shirt at the start of the race due to the cold, are you allowed to wear it over the bib as long as you remove it before the first photographer?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Not sure about before the first photographer, but people normally start taking off their throw-aways just before the start.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

Most of the races I've been in allow this. And it doesn't matter about the race photographer, as no photo identification is your loss, not the race organizers. You can wear your extra layer and dispose of it anytime you feel like it. Unless of course there are rules against this for safety reasons (tripping on throw away clothes would not be fun, for sure).

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Some people do not even move it for the photographer.  You'll be fine.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I wore a throw away sweatshirt for the first 10 miles of a marathon that was 34 degrees at the start. The starter reminded us to lift the shirts up when we crossed the timing mats at the start because the chips were on the back of the bibs. If you have a shoe chip it doesn't matter.

happylily

I wore a throw away sweatshirt for the first 10 miles of a marathon that was 34 degrees at the start. The starter reminded us to lift the shirts up when we crossed the timing mats at the start because the chips were on the back of the bibs. If you have a shoe chip it doesn't matter.

Yes, good tip!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have some ridiculous marathonfotos that I will never buy. The photographers were out in force at the pre-race port-a-potty line. I had on a throwaway neon green fleece over a red charity team shirt. The photographers kept asking to see my number to take the picture. Um, yea, just what I want to remember, standing in line to pee and looking like I am doing some weird strip tease with the fleece have pulled up.

bluerun

Super B****

AFAIK it's most important that your bib be visible when you cross the start and the finish... if the photographer can't see it, that's your loss.  Less work for them because no tagging involved!  (Pardon me, I'm a bit bitter about yet another race in which I apparently wore an invisibility cloak.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I have some ridiculous marathonfotos that I will never buy. The photographers were out in force at the pre-race port-a-potty line. I had on a throwaway neon green fleece over a red charity team shirt. The photographers kept asking to see my number to take the picture. Um, yea, just what I want to remember, standing in line to pee and looking like I am doing some weird strip tease with the fleece have pulled up.

LMAO!!! That is hilarious 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

AFAIK it's most important that your bib be visible when you cross the start and the finish... if the photographer can't see it, that's your loss.  Less work for them because no tagging involved!  (Pardon me, I'm a bit bitter about yet another race in which I apparently wore an invisibility cloak.)

Did the timing chip work with the invisibility cloak?

bluerun

Super B****

Did the timing chip work with the invisibility cloak?

Fortunately.

chasing the impossible

Do you really have to lift up your extra shirt when crossing the timing mats? Wouldn't the chip pick up the signal through your shirt? I'm no expert on RFID technology, but seems like it would.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Do you really have to lift up your extra shirt when crossing the timing mats? Wouldn't the chip pick up the signal through your shirt? I'm no expert on RFID technology, but seems like it would.

Yes, it would.  I have no idea how this works with huge cluster**** races, but in the smaller ones around here, they also have someone taking the times manually, so the bib needs to be visible for that.

chasing the impossible

LRB

Do you really have to lift up your extra shirt when crossing the timing mats?

They instruct you to lift it before the race begins (at Detroit anyway), and while it should be able to read it through the shirt I did not take a chance.  I lifted it.

Zelanie

A hoodie with a zipper will be like $5 at Goodwill. Smile

I forget who it was, but I remember somebody over on RWOL talking about making a photocopy of their bib for their outer later.  I was just a baby 5Ker at that point, thinking about how complicated marathoning needed to be if you had to photocopy your bib!