Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies on the 14th (Read 39 times)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I rode 42 on a beautiful morning.  It was 70F, clear, and calm.  Thank you sir, may I have another?

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Thanks for starting our week off PR! 

Gonna be a rainy week. Got an easy 7 in this am. 8:50 avg. Tired but feeling good otherwise

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 7 with 2 @ MP and, as Dave P said, you know what that means.

PR, huge ride for Monday!  Nice!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Good morning!  I swam 2500 yards this morning and was dragging butt.  So goes Monday.  Got a five mile run to do later.

<3

KCRuns

SRD for me, if the rain stops I’ll get out for a walk at lunch.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Happy Monday folks. I hope everyone had a great weekend. I finished off a full week of recovery runs (both lower mileage and lower pace) with a couple easy weekend runs. I'm starting to feel pretty decent, so hopefully can bump the mileage back up. I also timed a duathlon, which was fun but made for a long day.

Pleasant...great ride as always

Jay...good work getting the miles in despite being tired.

Docket...hope the run goes well.

Baboon...That almost seems like a rest day for you haha

KC...enjoy the rest day. I think we have like 8 days of thunderstorms forecast where I am.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

PR - I'm clueless about long distance biking.  How long does a 42 mile ride take?

Jay - Nice seven on a wet morning.

DR - 7 @ MP means race coming up?

Baboon - As with biking, I don't know much about swimming, but I'd like to learn.  What is the time context for a 2500 yard swim?

KC - Enjoy the rest.

SIAR - Sounds like you're bouncing back nicely.

A week or two ago, I mentioned Hansons and Pfitzinger/Douglas differed on tapering.  SIAR's note reminded me they differ on recover too.  P/D has two days of rest after a marathon and then starts some running again.  Hansons say no running for 3-5 days after a marathon, and even full rest during that time, and avoid running for 2 weeks though other activities are allowed.  That's a fairly stark contrast.

My plan is to run after work, but plans like that are susceptible to contact with the enemy (i.e. the commute home).

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Half Crazy K 2.0

KC, is thev weather really bad this morning in Chicago? DH was supposed to fly out of Baltimore at 6:45am. He just texted me that there is another 30 minute delay, so he has yet to leave. Poor guy.

delicate flower

Baboon - As with biking, I don't know much about swimming, but I'd like to learn.  What is the time context for a 2500 yard swim?

2500 yards takes me a little under an hour of clock time, and 45-50 minutes of swim time.  Swim workouts in the pool are almost always broken up into shorter intervals with lots of little rests, unlike bike and run where you go continuously.  Like this morning for example, my swim was mostly 100 yard intervals (two laps) with 10-15 second rests between each one, and a few 60 second rests tossed in.  2500 yards is about an average swim workout for most long distance triathletes.

For comparison, a half ironman swim is 2100 yards and an Ironman swim is 4200 yards.

<3

Cyberic

Run commute.

Might have found my 50K race shoes.

NB 890v6. Wide toe box area + there is no rubber around the forefoot, just fabric, so if a toe needs a little more space, the fabric will gently yield. 6 mm drop. They're categorized as light trainers. They're stiff, but I ran in them this morning and they felt good.  I'll try wearing them on my LR this weekend to see how my legs/feet feel in them after many miles.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

2500 yards takes me a little under an hour of clock time, and 45-50 minutes of swim time.  Swim workouts in the pool are almost always broken up into shorter intervals with lots of little rests, unlike bike and run where you go continuously.  Like this morning for example, my swim was mostly 100 yard intervals (two laps) with 10-15 second rests between each one, and a few 60 second rests tossed in.  2500 yards is about an average swim workout for most long distance triathletes.

For comparison, a half ironman swim is 2100 yards and an Ironman swim is 4200 yards.

Thanks.  And also, that's pretty impressive.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Run commute.

Might have found my 50K race shoes.

NB 890v6. Wide toe box area + there is no rubber around the forefoot, just fabric, so if a toe needs a little more space, the fabric will gently yield. 6 mm drop. They're categorized as light trainers. They're stiff, but I ran in them this morning and they felt good.  I'll try wearing them on my LR this weekend to see how my legs/feet feel in them after many miles.

Pay close attention to the stiffness. I've found the something that feels good on a 5 mile run may be uncomfortable and too stiff after 20 miles when my feet are tired.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Morning!  I have 7 with 2 @ MP and, as Dave P said, you know what that means.

Indeed. Martha's Vineyard this weekend? When do you fly out - are you taking some extra time? Hopefully you can; I've never been there there but it of course has quite the reputation as a vacation spot.

Dave

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

PR - I'm clueless about long distance biking.  How long does a 42 mile ride take?

It took me about 2:45 this morning, Baboon would do it in about 2:00 flat.

Runner with a riding problem.

delicate flower

It took me about 2:45 this morning, Baboon would do it in about 2:00 flat.

HA!  Only if I was racing.

<3