Beginners and Beyond

We can't make every marathon safe (Read 117 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Perfect example: the zoo compared to the wild

Yeah those animals are safe, fed and don't have to fight for their lives in their little cages... but I can bet you they crave to know what it is like on the outside of those wires, bars, etc...

If freedom means taking a chance and risking death, while security would mean hiding in my house in fear... I will gladly take death any day of the week. There's no fun in fear, you can be cautious and careful, don't run out in front of a Semi-truck or don't go in the woods for a run wearing brown colors during deer season.... but you can't protect yourself from everything without losing your mind and in reality you're pretty much cutting your life short with all that stress.

On the other hand, I will do whatever I can to protect my son right now. My mother can only watch him at our shop, our home or my grandmother's house and NOBODY but me or DH can take him places. If something were to happen and I wasn't there, I would live the rest of my life in regret, rage and guilt. If something happens while I am with him, then I know that I tried everything in my powers to protect him, the last thing being my own life.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

A great quote from Obama's speech today:

This time next year, on the third Monday in April, the world will return to this great American city to run even harder, and to cheer even louder, for the 118th Boston marathon.

Bet on it.

Just awesome... And so true too!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010