Beginners and Beyond

RA Office Hours (Read 1083 times)

eric :)

Hi guys,

There seemed to be many questions about RA and how to get things to work.  Instead of me going through your threads to find them, I'll start this thread and you can post your questions here.  Ask away.

eric Smile

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Wow - this is such an open and friendly welcome and  includes an offer to help from the board admin - I find myself at a loss.  Where are we? Wink  No questions, but thanks for hosting us!

Karen M

Eric, I gladly subscribed - thank you! No questions yet, still exploring.  Smile

Marathons are habit-forming...

"I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength."

Philippians 4:13, NLT

Eric, I keep hearing that there is a way to upload Garmin data to the site and I have a couple questions regarding that.  

Do you need the Garmin software loaded on the computer?  My PC died an untimely death a while ago and I have not replaced it.  I'm currently using a work computer on which I have not loaded the Garmin software.   I have been manually updating my log for the last year.  

I did import some data but don't remember if I imported Garmin data or imported from the RWOL log as it was a year ago and the memory does not work so well these days.  Blush   

Second question, if I am able to upload the Garmin data, with or without the software loaded, then what happens to the data that I manually added that may be duplicated in the Garmin data.  

Hope that all makes sense.   Sorry in advance if they are stupid questions, I don't tend to be very technical when it comes to this stuff.   

Thanks for the warm welcome and the help!  

You can call me Anna

an amazing likeness

Eric, I keep hearing that there is a way to upload Garmin data to the site and I have a couple questions regarding that.  

Do you need the Garmin software loaded on the computer?  My PC died an untimely death a while ago and I have not replaced it.  I'm currently using a work computer on which I have not loaded the Garmin software.   I have been manually updating my log for the last year.  

I did import some data but don't remember if I imported Garmin data or imported from the RWOL log as it was a year ago and the memory does not work so well these days.  Blush   

Second question, if I am able to upload the Garmin data, with or without the software loaded, then what happens to the data that I manually added that may be duplicated in the Garmin data.  

Hope that all makes sense.   Sorry in advance if they are stupid questions, I don't tend to be very technical when it comes to this stuff.   

Thanks for the warm welcome and the help!  

I'll jump in and assist with this. Yes, as with any service for collecting the data from your Garmin device, you will need the proper Garmin agent running on the PC which is connected to the Garmin. You need the Garmin Communicator.

If you upload a workout which duplicates one you've entered manually, you will have two entries in your workout log -- both the manual one and the uploaded one and you'll want to delete one.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Nevrgivup

I'm a visual person and like to upload pictures. How can you do so here? Also when modifying a thread, I was unable to go and delete it. Is there a way to delete them. Not so much starting a thread but a response. 

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

I'll jump in and assist with this. Yes, as with any service for collecting the data from your Garmin device, you will need the proper Garmin agent running on the PC which is connected to the Garmin. You need the Garmin Communicator.

If you upload a workout which duplicates one you've entered manually, you will have two entries in your workout log -- both the manual one and the uploaded one and you'll want to delete one.

Thanks, MilkTruck.  

That was my fear.  Guess I will have to see if I can load it on the work computer or break down and shell out for a new home PC.   

You can call me Anna

I don't have any questions, but thank you for letting us invade your site.  Cool

LRB

Can the threads that do not belong on the main forum page be moved here or nuked? 

Thanks Andy for jumping in!

When you import your GPS data, the data will sit on the import page.  You won't see them in your log until you explicitly save them.  The import page provides an opportunity for you to review the uploaded workouts.  It's easier to delete them from the import page and re-import than to delete them from your log.  So after you imported your data, you need to delete the manually entered workouts.

I'm a visual person and like to upload pictures. How can you do so here? Also when modifying a thread, I was unable to go and delete it. Is there a way to delete them. Not so much starting a thread but a response. 

I created this forum software myself, from scratch for various reasons that I won't bore you with.  While it doesn't have some of the niceties offered by other dedicated forums, it does allow me to integrate it with the rest of the website and to add runner specific enhancements.  The bonus is that it is less of a target for spammers because they have to program their bots specifically for RA.  I can also make changes to the software to deter spammers.

Aside from legal implications that I'm not clear about, RA currently doesn't store your pictures.  I might add it in a couple of months (I'm working on the next version of the log right now) if it is easier for you to create posts.  For now, you would need to upload your pictures to a picture hosting site, then link it to RA.

You cannot delete threads and posts.  One thing I don't like about other forums is the mods have too much power.  They can delete anything that they don't like.  I feel that there ought to be a paper trail, to reduce the admin's powers.  The only thing you can do is modify the post.  You can delete all of its contents but the post will always be there.  The same goes for threads.  Admins can censor a thread, which would prevent non-admins from viewing it, but the thread will always remain.

Can the threads that do not belong on the main forum page be moved here or nuked? 

I personally don't think it's a big deal where your threads go.  As I wrote in some other thread, I try not to interfere in the forums except when I need to keep peace and order.  So it's a group consensus on how RA's forums should be.

You can definitely attract more users if they're out there instead of here.  If you put a link to this group in your signature and posts in the main forums, I think that would be a good promise amongst everyone.  I say leave those threads out there to provide a way for any late comers to find you guys.  If you insist those threads be moved, I can do that too.  Up to you.

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

eric, other users have objected to 'chat' threads being out there. We just want to fit in with the set-up here.

eric, other users have objected to 'chat' threads being out there. We just want to fit in with the set-up here.

Which threads do you want moved?

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

We still have people finding us. The RW culture is to post an intro thread in the most visible place. This will probably keep happening as long as this group is here. I don't have a solution.