Beginners and Beyond

RA Office Hours (Read 1083 times)

runmomto3boys

I don't have any questions, either, but wanted to thank you for the warm welcome!

eric :)

pretty impressive that you wrote this from scratch. What are some of the tools you used to develop this site?

Someone a RW made the mistake of answering this question and shortly thereafter, all spam broke out.

Back in July, RA was in a similar situation as RW, although the bots never got to spam the forum.  I wrote about the experience here.  Someone asked why I broadcast what I did to combat the situation.  My feeling was that the spammers are much more crafty than people give them credit for.

I think the primary problem with RW's situation is that their registration page doesn't have a CAPTCHA.  That would at least slow the spammers down.  Maybe they don't know that they didn't enable it?

The entire site is written in C#.  There are some off the shelf components such as Google Maps, WYSIWYG text editor and other stuff provided by Microsoft.  I'm working on removing the MS tools (e.g. the drag and drop training log summary page) and using something that I rolled and working much better.  I do use MS's Visual Studio though because a compiler based languages such as C, C++, C# and Java are so much easier to maintain than PHP.  Visual Studio's debugging facility also reduces development time too.

How about merging all the intro threads into the big one in Running 101? Although it's nice to introduce ourselves, I think we should do our parts not to clutter up this awesome place.

Once everyone settles in, then the intro threads will subside.  Besides, I feel it would be rude to the OP to combine these threads.  They may not know the threads are combined and then they can't find their thread.

xor

Also, combining threads into one big Mamasan thread won't really stop new arrivals from starting new hello threads anyhoo.  That's fine... as noted, they will sink over time.  Well, now NRR is showing up too.  So maybe in a bit.

Hip Redux

So what's the best way to find new posts?  Am I missing something obvious?  (Not just the new post in a thread, but if a thread has new posts from my last visit sorta thing).  Is it just subscribing to threads you want to follow?

an amazing likeness

So what's the best way to find new posts?  Am I missing something obvious?  (Not just the new post in a thread, but if a thread has new posts from my last visit sorta thing).  Is it just subscribing to threads you want to follow?

Threads that have new posts since your last visit (or page refresh) have a star in the icon to the left the the "Subject" column....

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Hip Redux

Threads that have new posts since your last visit (or page refresh) have a star in the icon to the left the the "Subject" column....

I see a red star, that it?  Because there are threads that I'm the last post in that also have that star - which is what confuddled me a bit.  

Don't call me Buttercup!

I read this thread title and thought RA = Resident Assistant, like in college dorms.  I must be tired. LOL   

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to! 

BexKix, Bagel Defender

I read this thread title and thought RA = Resident Assistant, like in college dorms.  I must be tired. LOL   

I missed my mandatory Monday nap today too.  Boo.  Wink

an amazing likeness

I see a red star, that it?  Because there are threads that I'm the last post in that also have that star - which is what confuddled me a bit.  

That's how it's supposed to work. I'm thinking that you folks may be generating so many new updates that the 'new post' indicator isn't keeping up in some way.  (shrug)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

@runjerseygirl

Sorry if this was addressed already, but I can't seem to get a photo to show up in my profile.  Any tips?

Do you even run?

BexKix, Bagel Defender

Thanks for your patience and all the help you guys are giving!

RA's forums are basic compare to other commercial forums.  I am making upgrades to the software gradually as the need arises.  I am currently discussing forum enhancements with another user that's also a software developer.  One of the features he proposed is the ability to jump to the last post you read in a thread.

I thought most people find new posts by just going down the list since threads with new posts rise to the top.  What's the best way to keep tabs on the threads?

I think for now, thread subscription would be an acceptable workaround.

Hip Redux

MilkTruck - thanks, I see how it's supposed to work.  It's just not showing up that way after I read a thread... going to try logging out/logging back in.   

MTA - OK - that worked.  I logged out and logging in, and now threads are showing up as "read".   But when I'm active on the board, it doesn't update those that I have read.    So I can read it, go back to the main page and it shows up unread... if that makes sense.

Not a huge deal.  Just was wondering if I was doing something wrong!

Don't call me Buttercup!

Sorry if this was addressed already, but I can't seem to get a photo to show up in my profile.  Any tips?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/836025454309435a91fcac5ad09f760b  <-- Someone was nice enough to explain it when I asked, Kay.  Check there.  

Slow and steady wins the....  wait a second! I've been lied to!