Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 37 times)

bluerun

Super B****

4.25 miles to say farewell to this lovely heat.  I ventured away from the ocean so I was treated to some hills and got lost several times, but I made it back with plenty of time to spare so it’s all good.  Except I’m really not looking forward to going back to the cold. 😞

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

delicate flower

Hello BLUERUN and all comers to this here dailies thread!  lmao omg

Another good swim this morning.  2500 yards done.  I use the pull buoy a lot to save my legs, but starting this week I've ditched it since my September Ironman will probably not allow wetsuits.  I want to get stronger swimming on my own power.  Pull buoy and wetsuit make swimming a lot easier.  I feel more like a real swimmer using neither.   #coolstorybro

Bike workout tonight.  I finished Westworld and will begin Stranger Things tonight.  Pretty much the only time I watch TV shows is on the bike trainer.

<3

9 miles.

Dave

LRB

My eyeballs pulled a DavePInsomniac and popped open at 3:10 am geezus, I've been woke ever since. 

I was headed to work to stumble across the belt but then got the bright idea to try a run outside since we're four days removed from the snow.

The sidewalks were jacked as usual so I ended up doing a partial loop, out and back, past, then back again route for 7 miles.

My eyeballs pulled a DavePInsomniac and popped open at 3:10 am geezus, I've been woke ever since. 

Sorry. I feel responsible.

Dave

LRB

Sorry. I feel responsible.

Well, birds of a feather once blue and one chime in.

It's funny because I usually can get back to REM sleep at some point before 5:20, even if only for 10 minutes but nope, not today. 👎

Well, birds of a feather once blue and one chime in.

It's funny because I usually can get back to REM sleep at some point before 5:20, even if only for 10 minutes but nope, not today. 👎

I actually had a decent night, after 2 straight really shitty nights (at some point you have to catch up). Slept all the way through to 4:25! (Well I did wake up at midnightish, but got back to sleep no problem.) And my alarm was set for 4:30.

Dave

GinnyinPA

I have a Q regarding speedwork:  Pfitz's plan has me doing VO2max stuff starting in a couple of weeks, starting at 800m. and progressing to 1600.  Elsewhere he says that VO2max repeats should be no more than 3-6 minutes.  I don't run 5k's with 6 minute miles, my pace is more likely about 8 minutes. So, should I shorten my repeats or just try to do the mile repeats anyway?

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have a Q regarding speedwork:  Pfitz's plan has me doing VO2max stuff starting in a couple of weeks, starting at 800m. and progressing to 1600.  Elsewhere he says that VO2max repeats should be no more than 3-6 minutes.  I don't run 5k's with 6 minute miles, my pace is more likely about 8 minutes. So, should I shorten my repeats or just try to do the mile repeats anyway?

I'd shorten them so they fall in the 3-6 minute window.

Runshortii

I ran 4. It’s back to being stupid cold

LRB

Annnd I left home without my work I.D., my wallet and money. I guess that makes me John Doe, with no dough. lol

LRB

Agreed.

I've never really exceeded 4 mins and some change when doing VO2 workouts, and am quite frequently around 3:45 ish. When I need to do anything longer I do it in a 5k race, which makes the race the workout.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think Daniels gives a range of 2-5 minutes, still in the same ball park. I'd limit the longest interval to 1200m, maybe even 1000m. On the short end you could probably start with 600m. Do try to keep the total interval distance to what the workout calls for, e..g. if the workout is 6 x 800m, then 8 x 600m, in either case a total of 4800m at VO2Max.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I think Daniels gives a range of 2-5 minutes, still in the same ball park. I'd limit the longest interval to 1200m, maybe even 1000m. On the short end you could probably start with 600m. Do try to keep the total interval distance to what the workout calls for, e..g. if the workout is 6 x 800m, then 8 x 600m, in either case a total of 4800m at VO2Max.

I scale the distance back as well. My guesstimate is that most plans are written with a 6minute/mile 5k runner in mind. I use that as an estimate and then try to keep the time similar to what a 6mm would do. Daniels mentions this in his books.

Cyberic

Ran 5 miles, with a 6K tempo. I was tired before and wasn't sure about the workout. Thought about sandbagging it a lot during the workout, but got it done.

These past weeks I've kept the mileage constant, but have increased intensity. I definitely feel it. I might take a cut back week if the tiredness continues.