Beginners and Beyond

MONDAILIES (Read 272 times)

@runjerseygirl

Flip, I meant since it wasn't intentional, there is no need to get the system admin involved, which is the only way a change could be made outside of the OP.

Pink, I did have coffee but got up to late to have my usual fun with it.

Kay, the 2 miles is better than the 1 you would have run no?

True. And it was nice to get some weight off my chest.  

Do you even run?

LRB

True. And it was nice to get some weight off my chest.  

Isn't it awesome?  That's why running rocks, because you come back from them free and liberated.  Especially those weekend long runs, I miss those bad boys.

Good for you!

Totally just an unfortunate coincidence.  And I didn't see that a dedicated thread had been started or I might not have brought it up here.  Suzi was just such a big part of the dailies for a while there, though...  She always gave me a thoughtful personal comment in here back when I started running.  Wish she could have made her goal...

As for me, I had a really great weekend.  Started it off with a just right 9 mile run on Saturday- I know long runs aren't supposed to be fast, but somehow I just was in a higher gear and went with it.  Ended up with a pace that surprised me.  And enjoyed the first 4 with my sister on a pretty road.  Then chilled at home with the family until late afternoon when we went to get our Christmas tree.  I chopped it down myself!  Still have the sore muscles to show for it.  That darn thing didn't fall until there was literally only an inch left holding it up.  (Cut down a 30-foot tree on my SIL's property where they are clear-cutting to make a field, then DH cut off the top of it to bring home, lol)  Yesterday was an SRD for me.  We had church in the morning, then watched the Patriots game in the afternoon.  In the evening, we had our little family tree trimming party.  After DH and the kids decorated the tree, we ate homemade pizza and watched The Nativity and ate goodies- homemade eggnog, gingerbread cookies, apricot bars, and magic bars.  What a nice weekend... : )

I ran 6 miles this morning, 3 with my sister and 3 on my own, to kick off a mileage bump up week.  Planning for 40 this week, if all goes well.  Enjoyed 40 degree temps too, which was awesome after some pretty chilly weather lately!

Getting the kids through the last of their school day, working on DH's Christmas quilt, and sneaking left over eggnog are what's planned for the rest of this day.  

Enjoy your Monday, everyone!  : )

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Scotty, I know how cats like to show off their hunting "prowess". I had a cat several years ago, and he loved to try to bring me "gifts". ONe day, while I was on the phoine with my sister, he knocked on the front screen door (yes, he used to knock when he wanted to come in). Not watching what he was doing, I let him in only to discover he was carrying a mole in his mouth. Naturally, he took it to the bedroom where he released the still-live critter under the bed. Had fun with that for a little while!

Back up and taking in coffee. I'm still planning on a nice 5 mile interval run today. Weather is awesome - 65 degrees and mostly sunny. My legs are feeling pretty good as well. I'm expecting a good run, and maybe a PB today.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

SIAR - Which plan are you following? I'm going to be starting a Pfitz HM plan in mid-January for an April half. It will be interesting to see how I do once I follow an actual structured plan.

As for my current streak, on what are usually rest days, I am only running 1-2 miles just to keep the streak going. I'm going to build one of them up to 4 miles or so though and use it as a recovery run to expand my schedule to 6 days per week. I'm planning on Thursdays being a quality run (LT or Vo2max), so the recovery paced miles on Fridays will be nice to follow that. We'll see how it all unfolds once I get closer to putting my actual schedule on paper (or in Excel, actually).

Flipster...I'm using Brad Hudson's plan, taken from "Run faster from the 5k to the Marathon."  Using his plan is a little contradictory, because the point of the book is to teach you how to coach yourself and adapt your workouts as you go.  I may make some minor changes, but for the most part I'm going to do the workouts he laid out (goes from 56 miles in week 1 to a peak of 87).  His workouts are supposed to be very good for injury prone runners, in part because of all the hill work - not just hill sprints, but tempos and progressions on hills too.  I'm definitely fragile, so I'm hoping the plan will help.  I had actually intended to do a Pfitz plan myself, just using Hudson to get my base back, but I'm liking it too much to switch over.  As for your plan, it looks like you've put some good thought into and are setting yourself up to run a great half.  As your recovery day mileage gets to that 4+ range, it'll definitely be easy for you to get the weekly mileage that you'll need.  It'll be exciting to see you get going on your plan and to see how you do with your race.

Pink...wow, you win the personals award today!  The nice thing about hill sprints is that the efforts are short enough they really don't take that much out of you.  Great job with the 10 miles, and I'm sure you'll get that 13.1 in!

Kay...I hope the running was therapeutic for you.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I hadn't mentioned Suzie in my previous posts in this thread, having commented on the thread dedicated to her already.

But I think it's worth taking note of her passing by recognizing her great achievements. She always possessed such a positive attitude, even in the face of the enormous difficulty that she dealt with daily. Her message was always a good one, as was her attitude. She will be missed.

I think it would be a good idea if we remembered her in our regular posts to the daily thread by taking the time to recognize another poster each time we post so that we may pass on her tradition of positive encouragement, constructive criticism, and just general recognition. That doesn't mean that we all need to post personals every time we post - some are very good at that, while some of us are not - it just means that we ought to continue the friendly dailies conversation that Suzie brought to us each day.

It's what she would have wanted!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

I hadn't mentioned Suzie in my previous posts in this thread, having commented on the thread dedicated to her already.

But I think it's worth taking note of her passing by recognizing her treat achievements. She always possessed such a positive attitude, even in the face of the enormous difficulty that she dealt with daily. Her message was always a good one, as was her attitude. She will be missed.

I think it would be a good idea if we remembered her in our regular posts to the daily thread by taking the time to recognize another poster each time we post so that we may pass on her tradition of positive encouragement, constructive criticism, and just general recognition. That doesn't mean that we all need to post personals every time we post - some are very good at that, while some of us are not - it just means that we ought to continue the friendly dailies conversation that Suzie brought to us each day.

It's what she would have wanted!

Amen.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

I agree, Tom! That is a wonderful idea!! I know Suzie would have liked that.

Kristin, I just ordered Hudson's book this morning. I haven't read Pfitz yet either, but it's on the way. It is perhaps silly to follow a training plan without having read the theory behind it, but lots of people around here have been successful with Pfitz. I also like that he offers a lot of flexibility in structuring the schedule as long as the key workouts are included somewhere each week with proper rest/recovery in between quality workouts. I'll actually be modifying Pfitz a little bit because I want something that is in between his two programs. One of his plans peaks at 30 and the other peaks at 50. I want to peak at around 40 mpw. I will have read both Pfitz and Hudson before I start my official training. I'm looking forward to learning more of the theory behind training from different perspectives.

@runjerseygirl

Isn't it awesome?  That's why running rocks, because you come back from them free and liberated.  Especially those weekend long runs, I miss those bad boys.

Good for you!

Definitely.  So much cheaper than therapy, LOL!  

Do you even run?

FlippyNoodle

Not a dude

Definitely.  So much cheaper than therapy, LOL!  

Uhhh...well, that depends. Running gear can be pretty pricey!! Smile

@runjerseygirl

Uhhh...well, that depends. Running gear can be pretty pricey!! Smile

Hmm... point taken.  Let's just say, more therapeutic than therapy. Wink

Do you even run?

Hey yo!

I ran a good 10.3 miles Saturday and took Sunday off.

Later today I got a date with 5 miles easy.

Last week before my 10K. I can make it....

StepbyStep-SH

Scotty - My parents had a cat who used to do that on a regular basis. She also knew how to open cupboard doors, and my parents learned that using the sticky traps for mice doesn't always work out well when your cat can get under the kitchen sink (where the trap was located). My mom came home one day and was sitting in another room, when from the kitchen she hears "click, click, click, THWAP, meow .... click, click, click, THWAP, meow ... click, click, click, THWAP, meow...." Around the corner came their long-haired cat with a sticky-trap stuck to one foot, glue all over her face, whiskers and the other front foot. On the trap was a tail. Just the tail. The rest had been kitty buffet. Mom had to actually cut the cat's hair to get the glue trap off her foot.

Pink - Potluck was yummy as always: zucchini-pineapple muffins, artichoke dip, "sticky sweet" chicken and rice, wild rice salad, bacon-wrapped water chestnuts, lentil and salmon soup, and no-flour fudge cookies. Perfect after a run in 53* weather in Wisconsin!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

... "click, click, click, THWAP, meow .... click, click, click, THWAP, meow ... click, click, click, THWAP, meow...." ...

The tell-tale sign that the cat is into something is when all the bumping and thumping ends with "meow"!

Jess runs for bacon

3 miles done on my lunch break. Glorious weather. I think I need a new lunch route though, the sidewalk I run on is extremely uneven and majorly cambered. Hurt a lot for most of the run and had to walk some of the cramping off. The good news was I ran the last 3/4 mile at a 9:30 pace with somewhat relative ease (my usual pace for a shorter run like that is 11:30-12:30). Woot woot!