Beginners and Beyond

Delaware Canal Half Marathon RR (Read 41 times)

Delaware Canal Half Marathon RR

Ran the Delaware Canal Half Marathon this morning in beautiful Washingtons Crossing PA, Bucks County. It is a flat and fast, out and back course along the banks of the Delaware Canal. I ran this race last year (first HM) and ran a 1:34. This year my friend Vibe was racing also, along with my Brother in law. My Wife must really love me as she came out with our 2 Sons to cheer us on in this brutal weather. My parents drove up to a bridge right before the turn around and cheered us on! I don't think I could have pushed as hard as I did today without the support of my family and friends.

My training going into this race has went well. I basically came off a 5k program, took a couple recovery weeks and then did a 7 wk. condensed HM schedule. I was originally going for a 1:26-27 by my most recent 5k PR but I had some really good tempo/LRs in the last few weeks and decided to put a 6:32 on my pace band.

This mornings weather was cold! About 30F at race start. No humidity but some wind. The sun was out which helped. I decided on wearing shorts, singlet, and gloves. Did a short 5min warmup with some drills, took a final pee, and lined up at 9:55. The gun went off promptly at 10am and we were off. Legs felt fantastic at the start (They Better!!). Just kept it nice an easy for the first mile. Ran alongside Vibe and this guy Jeff we met. He ran a sub-3 in Philly this past year and was looking to run around the same time as me. First mile split 6:52. Jeff and I pick up the pace.

We quickly get on target pace and keep having to ease up a bit as our pace was dropping at some points. Still ended up with some splits that were faster than I had planned but it didn't feel too hard. I certainly ran a more aggressive first half than I have in the past. It was nice to have someone to chat with and run next to for a while also. M2 6:28, M3, 6:31, M4 6:25, M5 6:27

Feeling great as we approach the turn around. I'm still running with Jeff at this point. I see my parents up on the bridge cheering me on...this was a huge mental boost. We turn around and head back. No water or gels for me at any point during the race. M6 6:31

I knew the 2nd half was gonna be tough but I'm still feeling good at this point. My breathing is surprisingly relaxed and my legs are going strong. The long tempos I did in training were paying off big time! M6 6:31 M7 6:28

Jeff starts to pull ahead a bit around this point and I'm not looking to drop my pace that much..theres still A LOT of race left. I'm seeing my watch and the mile markers. Now noticing that I'm ahead of schedule. "Can I pull off a 1:24?"  I thought. M8 6:21

"Lets do this"... I read a quote this morning that said "There will be a day I can not run...today is not that day". I had this in my head as I ran. I start to suffer at this point but still going strong. M9 6:17 M10 6:19 M11 6:22

At this point I'm in full blown suffer mode. Everything in my body is telling me to stop. My legs are screaming. I'm sucking in air like a mad man. Theres a point around the final mile where you can see the finish line across this lake. I hear my family screaming "Go Jay!!" They are incredibly loud. I have to do this.... I approach the final turn into the park and I'm getting tunnel vision big time. I'm hanging on with everything I got. I know my form is crap at this point but I don't care...I know the finish line is just up ahead. I have NOTHING left but still manage a 6:18 M12 split.

I cross the finish line with a 1:24:37!!!   AG WIN! 6th OA. There were about 375 runners. I couldn't be happier! I stuck around the finish for a min and cheered on Vibe who got a big PR also! Had a great day racing and spending time with my friends and family. Time to recover...nothing really hurts but everything kind of hurts. Gonna eat a big fat man dinner tonight and maybe get a milkshake.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

A couple photos:

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

LRB

That is an incredible time improvement in a year. Nicely done!

If you can talk casually during a half though, speed up!

Half Crazy K 2.0

I cannot believe you can chat at that pace. Great race! Congrats on the PR and AG win.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!  Damn, speedy!

i was going to say the same about chatting at that pace.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

breadnatty08

That's awesome, Jay.  Congrats on a job well done.  It's great that you can turn up the pace in the latter half; sounds like you gotta pick some bigger goals.  

Find me on Strava

Anotherrun

Congrats Jay!  That's awesome.

Cyberic

Sub 1:25! Wow! Chances are good you have a sub3 marathon in you. Mad props for holding on later in the race when the going got tough.

oldfartrunner

Great job Jay!  You knocked it out of the park and finished well! Nice job easing into the race and holding back some the first 1/2.

Coastal

Damn nice race, Jay!  I'm not surprised -- you've worked hard and had a great training cycle.  Congratulations!

Thank you everyone 

GinnyinPA

Jay - awesome job on the race. It's always good to see your hard work show such results. Congratulations.

twistedlogicnz

Runs on beer

Had to pop in to read this. AMAZING! Awesome job and big congrats on the PB and the AG win  Between reading this and seeing Bread's marathon results I'm ready for a nap.

PBs: 23:10 (5K), 49:20 (10K), 1:49:07 (HM - gun time), 4:11:41 (M)

Runshortii

That is an incredible time improvement in a year. Nicely done!

If you can talk casually during a half though, speed up!

Heh, when I ran my 1:37 in September i was on pace for a 1:40ish the first few miles because I thought that was all i had in me, and then this guy kept talking to me for the first few miles and I thought “if I can talk this easily I should probably speed up”

great job Jay! That’s an awesome improvement in a year!

LRB

Heh, when I ran my 1:37 in September i was on pace for a 1:40ish the first few miles because I thought that was all i had in me, and then this guy kept talking to me for the first few miles and I thought “if I can talk this easily I should probably speed up”

great job Jay! That’s an awesome improvement in a year!

Yeah I've had people speak to me during marathons and half marathons. I suppose I could probably return the banter, I just don't. During my PR half I ran with a group of guys for the first two miles who were yucking it up as if we were at a bar. I never said a word.