Beginners and Beyond

Jerusalem Half Marathon -- RR (Read 47 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Just because this one was special to me.   (And it's also really freaking long.)

Technically speaking, Jerusalem is the first half marathon I ever ran — because the only one I completed prior to that was the Half Marathon from Hell through which I hobbled with multiple pelvic/sacral stress fractures.  Back in 2013, I said of this course that it was probably the hardest one I’d ever run.  That is still true, and I was having trouble imagining how I’d ever best my time from that year.

A couple of months after Jerusalem in 2013, I ran the Long Island Half Marathon in 1:44:49; my PR now is 1:39:08, so I should be able to run a course PR, but I still worried that I couldn’t.  (Not to mention the fact that my knees were screaming for mercy after the Washington Heights 5K last week; if that’s how they react to a hilly 5K, I don’t even want to know what they’ll do after an even hillier half marathon!)

So, my goals going into this:

A: 1:45
    B: sub-1:50
    C: course PR (sub-1:51:39)

According to the marathon website, there were supposed to be pacers for 1:40 and 1:50… and no 1:45.  After my less-than-successful attempt to use a pacer in Tel Aviv in 2014, I wasn’t exactly planning to do that again… but I do like to have them there, because it’s a useful gauge for me to see whether I’m on target for my goal.  I decided I’d start halfway between those two groups, and that if I passed the 1:40 one or the 1:50 one passed me, it meant I was in trouble.

Despite the fact that I netted a grand total of three hours of sleep the night before the race, I got to the start super duper early, because I wanted to find the OneFamily tent — I never did in 2013!  Of course, this time I found it immediately, so I had half an hour to kill.  That gave me enough time for two bathroom stops.  Bathrooms!  Indoors!  With flushing toilets, and sinks, and everything!

The starting area was kind of a mob scene, because there were multiple barriers through which we had to bottleneck to get to the actual start line.  I don’t understand the point of the whole A, B, and C corral indications on the bibs, since everyone was just milling together anyway, but all right.  It took a bit of maneuvering, but I finally found both the 1:40 and 1:50 pacers and parked myself somewhere between them.

And then we were off!  Supposedly it was going to be sunny; it was not, and there were even a few rain sprinkles early on.  And it was chilly — ideal racing temperatures for most (high 40s/low 50s), but I was freezing.  It was quite congested at first, but it cleared up really quickly; nothing like NYRR races at all.  I think this photo is from the first mile, when it was just starting to thin out.  (Yep, free race pictures!)

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 2.33.23 PM

This is how randomly my mind operates during races: last year, I hit mile 1 in 8:48, and I averaged 8:31 (officially).  I decided this meant that my pace for the first mile would be my average pace for the whole distance, minus fifteen to twenty seconds.  (Spoiler: I wasn’t wrong.  Creepy.)

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 2.32.22 PM

The first four miles or so were rather pleasant.  There were some unkind climbs, of course, but they had nice corresponding descents.  And during the second mile — in a tunnel, which naturally was filled with the sounds of whooping runners — I was surprised to pass a 1:45 pacer.  There wasn’t supposed to be one of those, but… new gauge!  Try to stay with him.

Somewhere around the 5K mark, we made a quick little trip into and out of the Old City; the streets there are REALLY narrow, and running on cobblestones isn’t super fun, so I’m glad it was just a short jaunt.  Plus, then you get an awesome picture with the Old City wall in the background.

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 2.31.32 PM

Shortly thereafter, the hellish portion began.  It started with this ramp:

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 2.31.55 PM

Not the sort of thing that comes across well in pictures, but trust me, it was a wee bit brutal.  There weren’t really any easy downhills to make up for the slow steady climbs in the next portion of the race… which lasted until about, oh, mile 12?  I did remember that there was a truly nasty hill around mile 11 in which we ascended 200 feet in less than a mile; that was the only time I walked during the race in 2013.  Come hell or high water, I was determined not to walk this year.

And I didn’t.  I was running up the hill so slowly that I practically could have been walking, but I didn’t.  In fact, that mile wasn’t even my slowest — that honor goes to the mile which included the ramp pictured above.

My left knee (the “bad” one) had been bugging me since about the midpoint, and on this hill, the mystery injury afflicting my right peroneals began to squeak.  Nothing like in Tel Aviv in 2014, when I had the same injury in my left leg, so I was just counting my blessings that I was able to run this race relatively healthy.  (For me.  Other people, those who are not always injured, would think I’m crazy to say that.)

There was a lot of mental math to keep me occupied, because I kept having to convert kilometers to miles to figure out my projected finish time.  I assumed my watch would measure the course long, because it did last time, and it usually does; how can it not, with a route as meandering as this?!

Jerusalem_Map

My calculations kept ending up somewhere around 1:42 or 1:43.  By mile 12, I knew I was definitely going to finish under my A goal, which is astounding, but evidently not astounding enough for me — because I decided I wanted to finish under 1:41:39, so that I could nab a ten-minute course PR.

Have I mentioned that after the cruelty of that monster hill, there is an uphill finish?!

Jerusalem_Elevation

Just because that doesn’t quite illustrate the cruelty of said “uphill finish,” here’s a photo… about four minutes left for me.

last

There’s a long straight stretch to the finish line — what I call a conveyor belt, because you’re running down this seemingly endless street with the finish line at the end of it, but it seems like your goal is moving farther and farther away from you.

I, however, was too busy being confused to feel very discouraged by that — because my watch was not going to measure long this time at all.  Nope, it was going to measure short.  And then I saw the clock and realized that I was going to technically run a 1:40 half marathon.

finish

That guy ruined my photo.  Heh.

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 2.32.57 PM

That is my second-fastest half marathon.  Ever.  Don’t ask me to explain how this happened, because I am completely baffled.

Immediate medical tent visit after the race, of course, because while I know my knee is going to hurt, if I don’t ice it after I run it will really hurt.  (Fun little fact: they took my pulse there, and their manual check said 66, while my HRM was telling me 92.  Huh.)

Jerusalem_Splits

This annoying format is courtesy of Garmin Connect Modern, which I hate.  But anyway.  Before I changed the distance and time… Garmin stats were 13.02 miles in 1:40:52, 7:45/mi.  Too bad there are three miles in there that don’t start with 7: xx… if they had, I could have finished under 1:40.  To be fair, if I’d known that my watch would measure short, I might have made more of an effort!  But no, I am not allowed to be upset about this.  Not at all.

And the 1:40 pacer… finished behind me.  What?

Official results: 13.1 miles in 1:40:47, 7:42/mi.  As far as I can figure … 377/4076 OA, 21/991 F, and 15/380 F20-39.

So… if the last time I ran Jerusalem I followed up a 1:51 with a flat 1:44… does that mean I’m going to follow up this 1:40 with a flat 1:33?

Excuse me while I go die laughing!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Dang, that looks like a tough (but fun) course. Judging by the course elevation there isn't one bit of flat. It's either up or down. At least you crushed your goal. Well done. Smile

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Thanks for sharing - I enjoyed reading and loved seeing the pictures.  You ran a great race, and obviously have more fitness than you've given yourself credit for.  Doing so well on a tough course should definitely bode well for some of your upcoming races.

It's a good thing you were moving so quickly...those narrow streets would have been a real bear to navigate in the middle of the pack.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

music_girl117

You totally killed it - congrats.   That's really cool that you ran so well on a course you like too (or at least, a race you like even if the course is pretty hard).  You are really good at half marathons!

How is your knee doing now?

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

onemile

Congrats. When is your next half marathon? Should be a big PR.

bluerun

Super B****

Dang, that looks like a tough (but fun) course. Judging by the course elevation there isn't one bit of flat. It's either up or down. At least you crushed your goal. Well done. Smile

During the sucky middle miles, I was thinking how odd it was that even the flats felt like they weren't flat.  Well, yeah.  THEY WEREN'T.  (I think it was Bart Yasso who said that this was the hardest road marathon he's ever done.  I hear the marathon course skips the mile 11 hill, but ... it's twice as long. )

Thanks for sharing - I enjoyed reading and loved seeing the pictures.  You ran a great race, and obviously have more fitness than you've given yourself credit for.  Doing so well on a tough course should definitely bode well for some of your upcoming races.

It's a good thing you were moving so quickly...those narrow streets would have been a real bear to navigate in the middle of the pack.

TBH, I never know how much fitness I have... until after I've had the chance to test in in a race.  It would be nice to know that going into it, but as long as the results are favorable, I'll deal with it!

You totally killed it - congrats.   That's really cool that you ran so well on a course you like too (or at least, a race you like even if the course is pretty hard).  You are really good at half marathons!

How is your knee doing now?

It's my favorite distance!  Well, I love 5Ks too, but I think I'm probably better at the half.

My knee hurts.  But it's been hurting since July 2014, and the level of pain right now is so low compared to what it has been that I barely even notice it most of the time.  So... yay?

Congrats. When is your next half marathon? Should be a big PR.

Well, that's not exactly a given... I am running the Long Island Half, which is where I got my PR in 2013, and that was going to be my goal half this spring.  But I neglected to notice that it's the day after Passover ends, which  might not work out so well.  I'm still going to run it, since I registered before realizing this, but I doubt I'll be able to run as well as if I hadn't basically been starving for a week prior.

But I am running the MORE/SHAPE Women's Half on April 17.  It's in Central Park, which is hilly... though not as hilly as Jerusalem.  Even if I have some sort of mental problem with running there.  I guess you never know.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Nice job, congrats!  Especially on such a tough course.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats on the strong performance. Those hills look brutal.

Tough course, great job!

LRB

I got to the start super duper early, because I wanted to find the OneFamily tent — I never did in 2013!  Of course, this time I found it immediately, so I had half an hour to kill.

lol

LRB

Jerusalem_Map

I see a man eating a big diamond, do you see it?

You have to turn your head to the left but it's there, because I AM NOT SEEING THINGS.

GinnyinPA

Terrific race.  Congratulations.

Cyberic

I see a man eating a big diamond, do you see it?

You have to turn your head to the left but it's there, because I AM NOT SEEING THINGS.

I see him too

Cyberic

So glad you're running strong again. This is a great RR, and you seem to have raced this very well.

Congratulations!

delicate flower

Heck of a race, Blue!  Loved the pics.  That elevation profile looks like a tough one.  I'd say 13.02 miles is "close enough", especially since those Garmins are not always 100% accurate.  Even if you want to tack on an extra minute for that .08 miles, you still tore shit up.  I'd say you're a few minutes faster on an easier course.  Don't discount the nice race weather, either.  40's may have seemed cold to you, but that really is a great temperature for racing.  

<3