Beginners and Beyond

2018 Race 72: Battle of Hillotes 5K, 10K, Half Marathon (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2018%20race%20reports/2018%20Race%20Number%2027%20Battle%20of%20Hillotes%205K%2010K%20Half?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 72nd race of 2018 was the Battle of Hillotes 5K on October 13.  There was also a half marathon and a 10K.  This race was part of the Alamo Beer series of races – Alamo Beer being the primary sponsor - that were in preparation for the San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon and Half Marathon coming up in December.   Local race company Scallywompus wat the organizer of this series. Race location was Helotes, Texas, a small and quaint town that borders the city limits of San Antonio.  This is also a VERY hilly town, hence the name of the race.   The San Antonio area has been getting quite a bit of rain lately and it does not seem like it is going to stop any time soon.  For today’s event it was kind of ‘spitting’ rain off-and-on before the start but nothing really major, thank goodness.  The 5K was the last race to start with an 8:25 go-time, so I arrived just as the half marathon people were taking off at 7 a.m.  As I walked from where I parked – parking was crazy for this one so it was a bit of a ways - toward the start/finish area, I got a couple of photos of the half folks heading out.  When I got to the start/finish/post-race party area I got a few more photos of some of the 10K and 5K folks waiting for their go-time.

Welcome to "old town" Helotes, the historic part of this city

photo IMG_0707_zpsc7ilvrgs.jpg

Half folks on their way.  My friend, Max, always runs with the flag at his races; and pretty speedily too, he usually places.

photo IMG_0681_zpsaqdhdopn.jpg

With the overcast skies, kind of dark, and their start time was 7 a.m.  Should have used my flash, sorry

photo IMG_0683_zps5h40uhzm.jpg

My friend Albert at the start of the half course.   75 years old and still going strong!

photo IMG_0685_zps0uqlfcan.jpg

My friend Jason heading out on the course.  This guy is amazing!  The runs he does, the distances he does, including ultras. 

photo IMG_0686_zps8xuutmxr.jpg

At the start/finish area

photo IMG_0687_zps8dxwck6p.jpg

With friend, Fernando.  He started the 5K a bit earlier than the rest of us, as he was nursing a sore leg.  Sore leg or no, he still did pretty darn well.

photo IMG_0699_zpsgbckzqaw.jpg

Various participants for the 5K and 10K waiting their turn; and volunteers, organizers, et al

photo IMG_0688_zpsldgmrieh.jpg

photo IMG_0689_zpsqwhj1ryf.jpg

photo IMG_0690_zps3nhreknf.jpg

photo IMG_0691_zps5zwxzopw.jpg

photo IMG_0692_zpsvb1eqiai.jpg

photo IMG_0693_zpsczsjjezi.jpg

photo IMG_0694_zpsmu6whpkp.jpg

photo IMG_0695_zpsrceylg1m.jpg

photo IMG_0697_zpslkn2ngnc.jpg

photo IMG_0698_zpswonjp50u.jpg

photo IMG_0701_zpskkkz8jqy.jpg

photo IMG_0706_zpswwv8uuys.jpg

Lined up and waiting to go..these were the 10K folks

photo IMG_0702_zpsi1mzrdaq.jpg

photo IMG_0703_zps5usuqsqh.jpg

photo IMG_0704_zpsimh7imcp.jpg

photo IMG_0705_zps1vr4ui6k.jpg

Time for the 5K folks to get started...

photo IMG_0708_zpsz7vppkag.jpg

photo IMG_0709_zpsupx3ubre.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The course name was not kidding about the hills.  The 5K had the least hills, the 10K had a few more and the half had a lot more.  Bot the 10K and 5K folks going out had to do a really long uphill – the 5K folks bypassed this one, which made me happy as that was the hill I’d torn my adductor muscle on a couple of years back.  Course took us out of the start/finish area, down a short incline, then up a short hill.  Then we turned left, went down another short hill, had a bit of flat for a while, then up the major hill on the 5K course.  Then down a hill to our turn-round point, and then back the way we came with our downhills coming out now our uphills and vice-versa.  When I got to the turn-round point for the 5K Mother Nature decided that would be a good time to rain, so it opened up on us pretty good for about 5 minutes or so – just enough to give us a nice soaking – then let up a bit, and then stopped altogether before I got to the finish. Weird Texas weather.  I usually do about 35 minutes or so for a 5K but for this one did 36-and-change as I decided heck with it, and goofed around a bit more, taking more course photos, and interacting with people on the course.  It was all good and I had fun.  I ended up 2nd in my age group but only because there were just 3 in my age group.  Everyone also got a finisher medal.

photo IMG_0710_zpszs1ycjzu.jpg

photo IMG_0711_zpsvrpjfuxv.jpg

photo IMG_0712_zpsowl3p5uc.jpg

photo IMG_0713_zpspo2rwgxs.jpg

photo IMG_0714_zpsofa5mwtx.jpg

Going up the first 5K hill.  This guy was one of the speedier 10K folks heading back to the finish.

photo IMG_0715_zpsssb5ijey.jpg

I think this was the first 10K woman heading back to the finish.

photo IMG_0716_zpsjsqzwftd.jpg

Made the turn-round and now heading for the finish.

photo IMG_0717_zps3mpeszbn.jpg

Friend Sally heading to the turn-round

photo IMG_0718_zpsizpyq60q.jpg

Started raining on us pretty good at this point....you can just see some of the rain lines coming down.

photo IMG_0719_zps03cmxgyf.jpg

photo IMG_0720_zps8iwvvqfh.jpg

Getting ready to go up this hill that was a downhill on the way out

photo IMG_0721_zpsnpjobmbr.jpg

These folks going to the turn-round.  I jokingly told the  folks with the umbrella no umbrellas allowed on the course.

photo IMG_0722_zpsk078xmga.jpg

We had several disabled walkers and runners on the course.  This was one who was walking the course.  Always inspires me when I see these folks out there on a course.

photo IMG_0723_zpsz1h1qela.jpg

photo IMG_0724_zpsctrqwkyf.jpg

Water stop volunteers, right before I go down the hill that was an uphill on the way out.   I jokingly asked them "What, no beer at the stop?"

photo IMG_0725_zpsaiftafae.jpg

On the flat part of the course again, for a bit.  From here about a half-mile to the finish.

photo IMG_0726_zpssrprmpnn.jpg

photo IMG_0727_zps526mssk4.jpg

At least we were moving.  The official photographer here had to stand out there the whole time in all that wet - and for all 3 races too.

photo IMG_0728_zpsjc6zbz6k.jpg

After that nonstop running to the finish.

AFTER MY FINISH

The motto of Scallywompus is “Come for the race. Stay for the party.”  They are not kidding either.  All kinds of post-race goodies including, of course, two types of Alamo Beer; and some kind of mixed drink thing (I forget what it was), as well various kinds of fruit, sausage wraps – choice of spicy or mild – raffle entry for a free race, and many kinds of sponsors/vendors giving away freebies too.   There was more, but I don’t remember it all: suffice it to say Scallywompus throws a heck of an after-party.  For the awards the MC calls out all the names in each age group for women first, and then the men, and then each of the age group winners as name is called gets a unique Scallywompus/Alamo Beer glass as an award and then joins the group and a group photo is taken of all the age-group winners.  Sure does save a lot of time in doing the awards ceremony, very nicely done.

First, went back out on the course for a bit. 

Lady coming into the finish....floating.

photo IMG_0729_zpsfieheie2.jpg

Friend Sally coming into the finish. Celebration day for her too.  24 years - I think it's 24 years - today of her being a cancer survivor.

photo IMG_0730_zpsbgby5xai.jpg

After we first started, this was the incline we went down, then went up the incline/hill on the other side.  For the finish, that was in reverse, of course.

photo IMG_0732_zpsamodpwni.jpg

Finish line area volunteers

photo IMG_0733_zpss9gps5j1.jpg

And back to the after-party.  Various participants, volunteers, vendors, etc.

photo IMG_0735_zpsphbksla3.jpg

photo IMG_0736_zpsogtticmz.jpg

photo IMG_0738_zpsmustsul5.jpg

With my amazing friend, Carolyn, who is having her own cancer battle right now. God bless her.

photo IMG_0739_zpsamvdpxpr.jpg

Guy on the far left - Mr. Scallywompus!  Thanks, Bart for putting on great events!

photo IMG_0740_zpsfcxbpild.jpg

photo IMG_0741_zps4qk9wu4b.jpg

A very popular post-race stop - Alamo Beer tent

photo IMG_0755_zps6vl4ouyo.jpg

Serving up the Alamo Beer

photo IMG_0742_zpslrsfjzke.jpg

photo IMG_0743_zpsld5znqf1.jpg

photo IMG_0744_zpso7uracfv.jpg

photo IMG_0745_zpsjsfvfvt9.jpg

photo IMG_0746_zps6njbrw5s.jpg

photo IMG_0747_zpswhb7ompu.jpg

photo IMG_0748_zpsbrieuhwn.jpg

photo IMG_0749_zpsljwwrlzk.jpg

photo IMG_0750_zpssjkjyh7n.jpg

3rd overall, half marathon

photo IMG_0751_zpsyk2612x7.jpg

photo IMG_0752_zpsxu6fbjti.jpg

No, I don't have a chameleon shirt, lol.  My shirt worn was very orange, but the flash was on, so made it look yellow.

photo IMG_0754_zpspg6dbbvr.jpg

Speedy guys who did the half-marathon

photo IMG_0756_zpswfqeoclz.jpg

photo IMG_0757_zpsi4qg3lks.jpg

photo IMG_0758_zpsfrldit1j.jpg

photo IMG_0759_zps0ofiq68e.jpg

I think these guys did the 5K, but may be mistaken.  Anyway...they finished ahead of me. 

photo IMG_0760_zpszy6olids.jpg

photo IMG_0761_zpsici9oqnb.jpg

Walking back to my car, got a few more photos. 

Met this very friendly guy.  The human was friendly too.

photo IMG_0763_zpsbxnl3taw.jpg

Some half people still on the course coming in...

photo IMG_0762_zpsixh7guif.jpg

Weird Texas weather.  Up by the finish area it was still cloudy and overcast.  Yet, just 1/4 mile away from the finish line, nice and sunny at this point for these folks finishing the half.

photo IMG_0764_zpsuxuft0dt.jpg

My friend Albert going to the finish for the half.  Guy never gives up.

photo IMG_0765_zps1admwbt7.jpg

EPILOGUE

Love the Scallywompus events.  Always have a really nice turn-out, good courses, quality race tees, unique age-group awards and, as said, one heck of a party. Have done these races for a few years now, will continue to do them, and would most definitely recommend them to others. 

Kudos to “Mr. Scallywompus” Bart Childers and Tony Garcia and all the crew of volunteers, sponsors, vendors, etc., for getting this one organized for we participants.  Big thanks to Alamo Beer for being the sponsor of this series.  And, of course, thanks to law enforcement and EMT folks out there for us and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Also thanks to the Helotes drivers we saw on the course.  The course was an ‘open’ road and the majority of drivers that I saw where I was at any given time were very patient and polite and careful when coming up on us and waiting for us to move over.  I hope it was that way for everyone who did

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt