Beginners and Beyond

Race Report- Beat the Blerch 10K (long, many photos) (Read 90 times)

Zelanie

Executive summary- Fun run based on this webcomic that is now a book.

This weekend, I ran the Beat the Blerch 10K in Carnation, Washington (just outside of Seattle).  It's only two weeks until my first full marathon, so although I really wanted to participate, I wasn't sure I wanted to really race it all out.  Plus, from the race description, it sounded like it would be a fun event, so it made sense to relax a bit and enjoy myself, Scottydog style.  So, I kind of viewed it as a way to bring the fun back into running after 16 long weeks of marathon training.

But if you know me, you know that it's not always easy for me to just chill, so I still had to have a plan.  This Tuesday, I had an interval workout coming up- supposedly 6 x 1 mile at a bit faster than MP.  Hmm, 6 miles of quality work, did you say?  So I decided that when I was running, I'd aim for that MP or slightly faster pace, but that I'd stop for anything that I felt like stopping for along the way.  I figured that would still be less recovery than the "interval" workout called for, right?

I also came up with the idea for a bit of a blerch costume on a run last week- Oatmeal shirt, green sweatband and shorts, and wings.  Thanks to the magic of the internet, everything even arrived on time.

My SIL lives about 30 minutes away from the race, so DD and I drove up the night before.  SIL was out of town for a tennis tournament, but her husband was kind enough to put us up for the night.  We got there in time to go out for Malaysian food the night before- the nice thing about not stressing on the race was I also could relax and enjoy dinner!

The race had a full marathon, a half marathon, and a 10K.  We arrived just in time to see the start of the full (each race start was 30 minutes apart).  Matthew Inman, the creator of The Oatmeal, was out on the course at the start in a green Blerch suit.

Then he went and posed for some photos before the HM started.  He also ran the half yesterday.  He seemed like a pretty nice guy, acting like he had plenty of time and attention for everybody who came up, even though it must have been a pretty exhausting weekend for him (including the book signings, event details, etc.)  He complimented me on my headband color- he noticed that I had gotten a pretty accurate Blerch color for it, actually the color they had been looking for, but they hadn't been able to find it, so had gone with a darker green.   And how dorky am I that I felt like, "OMG I met the Oatmeal and he liked my headband!!!!1"

I got a lot of compliments on my wings, and several people asked where I had bought them.  So I am thinking the little anime internet shop is going to have a sudden spike in wing orders this week, hah!

I ran a couple of miles as a warmup and took some photos.  I am not as good as Scottydog at just going up to people and asking for photos, but I got a few, plus DD took some of me.  And Runners' World took a photo of my wings!

Plenty of portapotties.  There was never a line!

This woman was dressed as a Grizzly Bear in underpants.

I lined up pretty much in the back.  I could see 7, 8, and 9 mm signs up front, but didn't go up at all, because I figured if something was cool at the start, I might just want to take a photo, and wouldn't want to get in somebody's way if they had a time goal.  I figured even if it was congested, I would get clear soon enough.

The start was actually really smooth.  They had two ropes that went across in front of the mats.  They opened the back rope and let one small group of runners up to the front one, then closed it off, and started that group.  Then they would repeat the process with another little group.  The start was on a pretty narrow asphalt trail, so that was a good idea.  Plus, I suspect there were a lot of participants who don't do a lot of races, so rather than grumping at people for not lining up properly, this system meant that it wasn't really a big deal.

There was a couple near me that each had a box of Voodoo donuts that they were going to be giving out during the race.  A tall guy in a 5th Ave. mile shirt took a half, then went back for the other half before the race even started.  "It's just race fuel!" he said.  He said the mile race was fun, and still enough work that you could enjoy donuts after that one, too. Smile

Finally up to the start.  You can see the last group that just went through.

Our group started, and of course I'm pretty much passing everybody right away.  But there isn't really any bunching, so there's plenty of room.  People are in a good mood, there are lots of costumes, and it's overall a good time.  There's almost a mile of asphalt path before we go over a bridge and onto a gravel trail for the rest of it.  I didn't quite hit the 9:00 pace I had planned on, but was holding pretty steady at MP (9:10) after a slightly slower first mile.  Of course, my brain was telling me "how do you plan to run 26.2 miles at this pace in two weeks, dummy?  You shouldn't even be sweating by now" but for the most part I just tried to relax and run.  I got lots of compliments on the costume, plus there were friendly volunteers. Smile

These guys were running with all of their medals and race bibs.  I am assuming they had a personal story of having beaten their own personal Blerch?

The aid station was just before mile 3.  There were Blerches going around encouraging everybody to slow down and rest a bit.  It was really well organized, too.  First, you passed the people with gels, then cups with little pieces of birthday cake, then water, then purple sports drink.  On the other side of the road, there were 1/4 size Nutella sanwiches, bananas, and water.  There was plenty of each, no congestion, and everybody was pretty good at announcing what was where.  I stopped at the couch, ate some cake, and drank some grape drink.

I also got my photo taken with a sasquatch.

You can see how spread out it is to avoid bunching.

I ran ahead to the turnaround.

On the way back, the couch was much more crowded.  I took this photo, then took one for the two girls in front.

Then I had a Nutella sandwich, and got some more photos.

Then it was just run back, nice and easy. Smile  I was definitely having fun with it, and glad that the cake and sandwiches had been cut pretty small, so weren't really an issue.

Managed to get this photo while running

I did stop to get a picture of these great Blerch costumes.

And then I was feeling silly enough to photograph the photographer.

I gradually picked up the pace towards the end.  I was past most of the 10Kers on the way out, so there wasn't really much that was new to see.  Also, the front of the HM was starting to come through, so there were finally some faster runners to pace off of.

After the final turn, I was ready for a last kick, and had some competition!  First, a woman went by me like I was standing still.  I called out, "nice kick!" and she called back that she wasn't about to let a Blerch (me, in costume) beat her.  Then I came up towards a third woman who was clearly NOT going to let me pass.  I realized that she was working hard and wasn't going to let me pass, but I also was enjoying running hard and maybe pulling her to a faster finish.  I think she had me by a nose at the mat.  I finished in just under an hour, which was what I had been aiming for, more or less, with the stops for cake and photos.

I said hello to DD and got my medal and some Blerchendise.  The new Running book isn't officially out yet, but they were selling copies there, and the Oatmeal would be back to sign them after his race.   We took a silly photo, then I went out for a cooldown jog while she got in line for the signing.  We ended up not staying for the signing, though, because the Oatmeal wasn't due back from the HM for a while still, plus we would still have to wait once he was back, and we still had a long drive back to Oregon ahead of us.  She had homework that she still needed to do too.

They even had a bunch of foam rollers out at, so I got a good rolling in too.

Nutella sandwich for DD:

The medal was included, of course, but then I bought the other stuff.  The Blerch might live on my desk and discourage evening snacking.

All in all, I thought it was a fun and really well organized event!  I definitely recommend it if it comes to your area!

You are Ms. Scottydawg Jr.!  Lots of fun photos.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Cyberic

Nice, Zel.

Hip Redux

Holy crap, that's awesome. It's like an Oatmeal paradise!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

OK,  you just gave me the race I want to FE with you at!  This looks like so much fun and right up my alley, lol!

Great photos, Zelanie, and nice to finally see your (very!) Great Legs in full!    Congrats on your race and all the photos you took, you done good!

P.S.   Hope the homework got done on time.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

You are Ms. Scottydawg Jr.!  Lots of fun photos.

lol.  I might have to adopt her.....

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

Ok, now I finally understand what the blerch is. All these years wondering... Thanks, Zel!  What a great fun read! I love all the pictures, everyone looks like they're having a blast. Running should not always be all business, it's important to have fun while doing it. It's good for the soul and keeps us young at heart. Speaking of young, you look like your DD's sister, not her mother! And I see that she has your genes. You both have great smiles and beautiful eyes.  Congratulations on your race and thanks for the RR!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Love it.  Great job and RR!  I so wanted to do this marathon.  Sniff.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Fun! I want a Nutella sandwich now. I mean RIGHT NOW.

Dave

PADRunner

Sounds like a fun race. Couches should be in all races.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Disney with a west coast flair.   Fun run, great RR, times like these make our pursuit memorable.  DD looks precious.  Thanks Zel.

tracilynn

BEST RACE EVAH

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

I almost forgot- the packet included a half-zip long sleeve top that looks pretty nice, and a Blerch magnet.  The book came with a 0.0 Blerch sticker. Smile

Lily- That was exactly what I was thinking, just have a little fun with it.  I never really understood Disney races, because I've always raced to RACE, but now I get it.  It's a celebration of running, which isn't the same as a race.  And I do think they kept the crowds small and spread out enough that people who really wanted to race it probably could.

Scotty- I'm sure you would have loved it!  I have to say that my first photo of the food table had that "glow" on it I've seen from your photos, which reminded me to wipe the lens!  I think at least most of the homework got done.

D- I think they are going to do more of them- hopefully you get in!

bluerun

Super B****

I'm not much for "gimmicky" races, but I think I'd do this one.  It looks kind of awesome.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

outoftheblue

This sounds like a really fun event and I think you may an excellent decision to get in the spirit of it and enjoy the day.  Great race report and photos too.  You and DD look fantastic.

Life is good.