Beginners and Beyond

L&O - the truth (Read 330 times)

AutBatgirl

As you’ve heard, L&O has recently undergone a change in management. To celebrate this momentous occasion, I thought I’d take a minute to answer some common questions about our little corner of the internet.

1. What the hell? Why are you posting this?

Because, as I’ve said in many places, it irritates me to no end when people spout off when they have no idea what they are talking about or because they have a specific agenda they are trying to push. Not because I care about what they are saying, but because I know that innocent people who don’t know better will actually believe them. And that makes me sad because those people are generally the last that should ever be believed about anything.

2. Namtor has stated 8 thousand times that he was unfairly banned by L&O, what’s up with that?

Honestly, I don’t know because it was before my reign. But I’m willing to hazard a pretty educated guess: Because he says completely stupid crap like “L&O is nothing but a street gang.” Why would anyone want to associate with someone with that attitude? And if anyone believes him after all the bullshit he’s spouted here, I know a guy who can get you a good deal on some oceanfront property in Arizona.

3. I went into L&O once, made one post and everyone made me feel bad. Why would anyone go there?

Was it something stupid? I bet it was something stupid. Yeah, we’ve all said something dumb and had to listen to 20 people comment on how dumb it was. The difference is that some people are willing to own up to the fact that they said something dumb, and let it go. They survive and thrive in L&O. Others bitch constantly about how unfairly they were treated and so everything they ever post gets mocked mercilessly. If you’re one of those people who has to be right no matter what – well, you just better be right.

4. I’ve lurked there a few times and everyone was really mean to each other. If I go there, will they be mean to me too?

We definitely tend towards the sarcastic, and so if you hang around long enough you’ll probably be on the receiving end of some teasing. A lot of us have been posting in the same places for years and so we know each other pretty well. Even people who are new pick up the way it works pretty quickly and join in. If you hang around long enough you’ll realize that it’s not a big deal and you, too, can be “part of the gang.”

In fact, I’ll give you a freebie: I was raised in Oklahoma and then spent 18 years in Texas. Take your best shot. It’s okay, I can take it. Because my self worth isn’t wrapped up in an online running forum. If yours is, you might want to keep your distance.

The flip side of the teasing is that L&O is a pretty supportive community. Whether it’s lack of motivation to run, job pressures, family illness or even the brain tumor doctors thought I had last year, L&Osers are pretty great about providing information on any subject, or just a sympathetic ear to complain to. We celebrate each other’s victories and give each other a push when necessary. Who doesn’t need someone like that around?

5. Okay, so maybe L&O isn’t as horrible as I thought, but I’m pretty happy in B&B. Can I really be a part of both groups?

Absolutely! Many people post in both forums and this post is in no way meant to “steal” anyone from B&B. I don’t post a lot here because most of the topics don’t catch my interest, but many of you are my friends on Facebook or other groups. I’m a very nice person – in fact, I volunteer about 40 hours a week just to encourage people all over the world to be kind to each other.  And that in no way conflicts with hanging out in L&O. I’m the same everywhere, and it’s fine if you are too.

If you don’t want to come visit, that’s cool. I’ll be the first to admit that we’re not everyone’s cup of tea. But please do keep in mind that the “conflict” between B&B and L&O is made up of a handful of people that build it up so they can feel more important about themselves. Most of us on both sides of the fence are happy to live and let live. Before you jump on the “they are so bad!” bandwagon, just make sure that you’re speaking about something you know, and not something you read somewhere. Despite what you might have heard, not everything on the internet is true.

Something I didn’t answer that you’re dying to know? You know where to find me.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

BIS

High Horse

You are just trying to be popular. Angry

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member ~ Groucho Marx.

RWPartisanRunner

Mommy Dearest

This is a joke like in the onion right?

Running for 9 months.

5k - 30:24

10k - 1:15

Nice post.  Who did you get to write it for you, Okie?

Village people

You make it sound rosey, but how long before the powers corrupt you?

happylily

yawn...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

1.  Ok, fair enough.  I sometimes read L&O and may have even posted there once or twice.

2. All this nonsense about banning and censoring is not my business, but it gets tiresome, on both sides.  The Paulski-headed photoshop of PGD was perhaps the most juvenile, hilarious, and appropriate response to that whole debacle.

3. Different cultures.  L&O leans towards witty and sarcastic banter.  That doesn't make you guys assholes.  B&B leans towards a support group, rainbows and unicorns.  That doesn't make us naive.

4.  All of that can be said for B&B as well.  There aren't really any beginners around here anyway, and self-worth is self-made, or at least should be.  RR's are about sharing our passion for running with like-minded folks.

5. Hatchet buried, IMO.  It's up to others what their take on things is.

Birdwell

1.  Ok, fair enough.  I sometimes read L&O and may have even posted there once or twice.

2. All this nonsense about banning and censoring is not my business, but it gets tiresome, on both sides.  The Paulski-headed photoshop of PGD was perhaps the most juvenile, hilarious, and appropriate response to that whole debacle.

3. Different cultures.  L&O leans towards witty and sarcastic banter.  That doesn't make you guys assholes.  B&B leans towards a support group, rainbows and unicorns.  That doesn't make us naive.

4.  All of that can be said for B&B as well.  There aren't really any beginners around here anyway, and self-worth is self-made, or at least should be.  RR's are about sharing our passion for running with like-minded folks.

5. Hatchet buried, IMO.  It's up to others what their take on things is.

+1

(P.s. great explanation overall Batgirl)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

And while I don't think I've posted anything over at L & O yet, I have to say a couple of things.......

#1.)  I don't think that RA's L & O is anywhere NEAR the kind of cess pool that RW's L & O was.  THAT place was truly gang house.  Looking down the list of topics in this L & O vs what you would see in RW's L & O is like Disneyland vs Betty Ford Center.   In fact, the very thought of someone from L & O coming here to try and explain themselves would have been laughable at best.  And THAT person would have probably been run thru the mill for even considering such a thing.

#2.)  I think the lack of movement here caused some of this crossover networking which, as others have said, is kind of like oil & water in the mix.  I think this speaks toward our lack of visibility.  I know how *I* found the RWBF back in the day and I don't know HOW in the world someone would find this place as a newbie so fresh faces are far & few.  We're basically a remnant in both forums.

A lot of the folks here are ones I grew with over at the RWBF.  Some are crossover folks but most just stay here. (Same as the RWBF).  So I simply stay here.  (shrug)

Randy

paulski66

miscreant

As you’ve heard, L&O has recently undergone a change in management. To celebrate this momentous occasion, I thought I’d take a minute to answer some common questions about our little corner of the internet.

1. What the hell? Why are you posting this?

Because, as I’ve said in many places, it irritates me to no end when people spout off when they have no idea what they are talking about or because they have a specific agenda they are trying to push. Not because I care about what they are saying, but because I know that innocent people who don’t know better will actually believe them. And that makes me sad because those people are generally the last that should ever be believed about anything.

2. Namtor has stated 8 thousand times that he was unfairly banned by L&O, what’s up with that?

Honestly, I don’t know because it was before my reign. But I’m willing to hazard a pretty educated guess: Because he says completely stupid crap like “L&O is nothing but a street gang.” Why would anyone want to associate with someone with that attitude? And if anyone believes him after all the bullshit he’s spouted here, I know a guy who can get you a good deal on some oceanfront property in Arizona.

3. I went into L&O once, made one post and everyone made me feel bad. Why would anyone go there?

Was it something stupid? I bet it was something stupid. Yeah, we’ve all said something dumb and had to listen to 20 people comment on how dumb it was. The difference is that some people are willing to own up to the fact that they said something dumb, and let it go. They survive and thrive in L&O. Others bitch constantly about how unfairly they were treated and so everything they ever post gets mocked mercilessly. If you’re one of those people who has to be right no matter what – well, you just better be right.

4. I’ve lurked there a few times and everyone was really mean to each other. If I go there, will they be mean to me too?

We definitely tend towards the sarcastic, and so if you hang around long enough you’ll probably be on the receiving end of some teasing. A lot of us have been posting in the same places for years and so we know each other pretty well. Even people who are new pick up the way it works pretty quickly and join in. If you hang around long enough you’ll realize that it’s not a big deal and you, too, can be “part of the gang.”

In fact, I’ll give you a freebie: I was raised in Oklahoma and then spent 18 years in Texas. Take your best shot. It’s okay, I can take it. Because my self worth isn’t wrapped up in an online running forum. If yours is, you might want to keep your distance.

The flip side of the teasing is that L&O is a pretty supportive community. Whether it’s lack of motivation to run, job pressures, family illness or even the brain tumor doctors thought I had last year, L&Osers are pretty great about providing information on any subject, or just a sympathetic ear to complain to. We celebrate each other’s victories and give each other a push when necessary. Who doesn’t need someone like that around?

5. Okay, so maybe L&O isn’t as horrible as I thought, but I’m pretty happy in B&B. Can I really be a part of both groups?

Absolutely! Many people post in both forums and this post is in no way meant to “steal” anyone from B&B. I don’t post a lot here because most of the topics don’t catch my interest, but many of you are my friends on Facebook or other groups. I’m a very nice person – in fact, I volunteer about 40 hours a week just to encourage people all over the world to be kind to each other.  And that in no way conflicts with hanging out in L&O. I’m the same everywhere, and it’s fine if you are too.

If you don’t want to come visit, that’s cool. I’ll be the first to admit that we’re not everyone’s cup of tea. But please do keep in mind that the “conflict” between B&B and L&O is made up of a handful of people that build it up so they can feel more important about themselves. Most of us on both sides of the fence are happy to live and let live. Before you jump on the “they are so bad!” bandwagon, just make sure that you’re speaking about something you know, and not something you read somewhere. Despite what you might have heard, not everything on the internet is true.

Something I didn’t answer that you’re dying to know? You know where to find me.

Any post this long that doesn't mention me specifically and by name is not worth reading. Y'all are safe to ignore...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

RWPartisanRunner

Mommy Dearest

at some point both forums are going to die, and for the same reasons - lack of influx/turnover, generally incestuous social structure and the laws of entropy.  And the fact that friends come and go but enemies accumulate. Everyone, including me, but EVERYONE needs to remember that one

Running for 9 months.

5k - 30:24

10k - 1:15

paulski66

miscreant

at some point both forums are going to die, and for the same reasons - lack of influx/turnover, generally incestuous social structure and the laws of entropy.  And the fact that friends come and go but enemies accumulate. Everyone, including me, but EVERYONE needs to remember that one

Any post this long that doesn't mention me specifically and by name is not worth reading. Y'all are safe to ignore...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

Attention strumpet.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

Hip Redux

Congrats on the new title, Batgirl.  Big grin  I don't spend any time in L&O.   The only thing that bugs me is when people post just to start drama.   It just isn't part the vibe of B&B, KWIM?    Kinda like how Jay described it -  each forum has it's own deal, doesn't mean one is right and the other is wrong.

I think if people post in both places, that's cool.   Just don't bring one into the other and it'll all work out.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Congrats on the new title, Batgirl.  Big grin  I don't spend any time in L&O.   The only thing that bugs me is when people post just to start drama.   It just isn't part the vibe of B&B, KWIM?    Kinda like how Jay described it -  each forum has it's own deal, doesn't mean one is right and the other is wrong.

I think if people post in both places, that's cool.   Just don't bring one into the other and it'll all work out.

Actually I believe the catalyst for the latest round of ongoing drama started with FreeSoul87 posting that she needed to stir things up around here. So yeah, the vibe here is drama.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54