Beginners and Beyond

Trot for Trykes 10k RR - PR! (Read 72 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

Today I ran the Trot for Trykes 10k. This was my first 10k ever in 2011, and I ran it in 1:10. It was also my longest run ever at that point - I had done one 6-mile run the week before.

This race probably benefits my favorite cause of any race I've done. It helps fund trykes for children with muscular issues who can't walk. As a matter of fact, when I first ran this race, I ran the last 4 miles with a woman (who I hadn't met prior to the race) whose daughter has cerebral palsy and was being awarded a tryke at the end of the race. I felt a special connection to this race and its cause by being able to run with Meghan. I wanted to run it last year but I had a scheduling conflict with another race.

I'm training for my 5th half marathon which is at the end of this month. Despite my HM being moderately hilly and this race being mostly flat, I wanted to treat it as a tune-up race to see where I might be able to land time-wise for my HM. My goal was to PR (57:36 from my hilly, slushy 10k back in February). I've averaged 32 miles a week since the start of the year with two weeks of 40 miles.

It was about 34* at the start with a 9mph wind. I did a "weenie warmup" of 0.65 mile just to get my legs moving a bit.

Miles 1-3: 9:11, 9:07, 9:10. I kept looking at my watch genuinely thinking "Hmm, I wonder if I can keep this up." My PR pace prior to today was 9:16 per mile, so this was obviously a good amount faster than that, especially since I negative split my last race. I looked at my watch at 3.1 and I noticed I was 20 seconds off my 5k PR. I need to race one soon.

Mile 4: Keep on keepin' on, 8:59.

Mile 5: This is where I start to break down in 10ks. I'm tired and I just want to be done, but I still have a good amount to go. Plus, this mile had an unexpected really short, really steep uphill due to construction, and it was almost entirely in headwind. My only "bad" mile of the race: 9:22

Mile 6: I got my groove back knowing the end was near. 9:09

0.13 (course was slightly short on my Garmin): 8:21 pace

Final Garmin time: 55:59, 9:09 average pace - yahoo!

The first thing I did was grab a bottle of water, then I looked at the placings. Now that I'm getting a little faster, I keep hoping to squeak in an AG award in case all the fast girls are doing a different race that day. However, the 3 people who finished directly ahead of me were all female and all in their 30's, haha. Figures, right?

All in all, I'm thrilled at my result. I truly wasn't sure if I could hold the pace for the entire race, but I'm glad I made myself try.

Thanks for reading!

Hip Redux

That's awesome!  Love the orange Smile

The 30 year olds always seem to be the most competitive, why is that?  Geez.

B-Plus

Great job and way to recover from that challenging mile. I wish I had an orange singlet.

Great pic! It makes me wanna find a nice comfy rock to sit on and just watch you run Joking

Ball of Fury

Great job!  It's always hard to recover from a "bad mile," mentally, more than physically...way to go!  And I too, love the orange!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Jess runs for bacon

I already said congrats (dude, you're killing it!!!) but HOT DAMN I LOVE THAT PIC! Smile

YAYpril - B-Plus

Thanks, everyone! Smile

Oski, tell me about it. And here, the 40s are even worse. The female winner (and second overall) is 45 years old. I'll just keep on keepin on. Smile

B, thanks! There were lots of rocks for you to take a seat. Big grin

Ami, I wasn't sure if I'd recover from that mile. I started doing math... Alright, if I do 9:30s I'll still PR, that sort of thing.

Jess, thanks Smile That was taken during my finishing kick. The guy behind me in the blue shirt? Yeah, we ran "together" most of the race and I chicked him in the last mile.

hog4life

Congrats on the PR!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Awesome job April! That picture rocks - you look determined and energized, and it's a floater!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Robert31320

Team TJ

Great job, April!

Running for TJ because he can't.

Docket_Rocket

Great job!  And a floater!  Nice!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Way to go April! Great run and looks like a beautiful day.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

That's awesome!  Love the orange Smile

The 30 year olds always seem to be the most competitive, why is that?  Geez.

Pfft, I used to think 30s were competitive.  Now, in my 40's, I *might* get an AG award if I have a rocket surgically implanted between my shoulder blades.

Shocked

Congrats on a great 10k.....my favorite distance!

Randy

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice race, nice cause, and congrats on the PR for you, way to go!

Very nice photo of you, that one is a keeper!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Great job April, and excellent picture.

Well done April!

Dave