Beginners and Beyond

Where the heck is the bartender? It's Friday (Read 225 times)

Love the Half

Starting the evening with a Saranac Red IPA.

Red is right.  Rather than the usual IPA color, this pours a deep red due to the use of caramel malts.  Head is a nice white with plenty of staying power and leaves a lot of lacing as you drink it.

Aroma is surprisingly fruity rather than the overpowering floral notes you get from some IPAs.  

There is some malt up front but the hops come on strong afterward.  The malt is there but the hops dominate.  Make no mistake, this is an IPA.  There are some IPAs that I think are better balanced but this one at least doesn't make the mistake of being nothing but hops.

The mouthfeel is clean and crisp with some bitter aftertaste.  

This is a typical Saranac offering; competent but nothing to knock your socks off.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Docket_Rocket

I had a Blue Moon post run and I'm about to serve myself a martini.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

xor

I'm gonna drink a longboard lager later.  My description is simply "the shit tastes good".

kbrks

Fine choice my friend. Going with some Great Lakes Christmas Ale this evening...on my 3rd one

delicate flower

Give me your keys and drink up.

<3

Nevrgivup

Just sat down to a full glass of pinot. Long day at work. I'm on vacation for the next 10 days, and DH cooked me dinner. You can't beat that. Cheers.

Edited to fix beat. I originally spelled it beet. LOL. I'm beat.. hahahahah

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Ken WD

Nøgne Ø Two Captains double IPA. Hops, yum

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Just leftover Guinness.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Having a Brooklyn IPA, then a few Dogfish 60 min IPA's.. Tomorrow night it's Dogfish  90 min IPA.

Victory Hop Wallop.

Guessing Columbus and/or Centennial with some Amarillo.  Lots of them.  Smile

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

A local medium-dry red wine. Nicely balanced flavor that lingers on your lips, delights the tongue, and has a smooth finish. Cheers!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Love the Half

Next up:  Rogue Brewing Santa's Private Reserve.

This is Rogue's winter warmer but, unlike most winter warmers, it's not spiced.

The beer pours an absolutely beautiful red color.  An aggressive pour yields a substantial off white head that lingers and lingers and lingers.

Aroma is all hops.  This is nearly like an IPA on the nose.

Taste is initially hops and you're thinking, "why didn't they just call this an IPA for Pete's sake?"  Yet, just when you think that, you catch some malt sweetness in the background.  It's not a roasted malt either, it's honest to goodness sweetness.  As the beer warms a bit, the malt asserts itself just a tad more but the hops bitterness still dominates.

Mouthfeel is a bit creamy with a clean finish.

Overall, this beer showcases again why the guys at Rogue Ales know exactly what the hell they are doing.  Unlike Saranac who brews competent, if nothing stellar, brews, Rogue brews are all delightful.  One of the things that makes a great beer is that you get something a bit different every time you taste it and you never quite get a handle on it.  That describes this beer perfectly.  This being a winter warmer, I'd have like to seen some spices but, just as an beautiful amber ale, this beer rocks.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I had some Port Brewing Hot Rocks Lager - nicely malty but not as complex as I like.  Now I'm drinking some Avery Old Jubilation Ale which alas is too hoppy for my taste.

Ken WD

I decided to stay in tonight and just clean my place... so onto 2nd beer: Nøgne Ø Porter. It's a great representation of everything you'd want in a porter - great roasty chocolate/coffee flavour with some bitterness, plus 7% abv to keep you warm.  Several Nøgne Ø beers just made their way from Norway to Ontario so I'm working through them now, having only had their exceptional #100 barley wine and Imperial Stout before. 

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

Nøgne Ø Two Captains double IPA. Hops, yum

I'll have to keep my eyes out for this... not too many Norwegian brews are distributed in the states.