Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILY Penguins (Read 35 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Peeps !!!

Foggy and chilly morning in the midwest.  Probably have another short run this afternoon.

Hope your back is better Awood after some "home" therapy.

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Mornin' Jerry!  Beautiful morning

Work today - run after for me.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Confession: I have to get up an hour earlier with my  new job than I did with my old one but don't get to go to sleep earlier at night, and some days that is really hard. Today was one of those days. Missed my planned run. I guess my body needed the sleep, didn't get much this weekend. I planned to run Tues, Weds, Thurs....now I need to run Weds, Thurs, Fri. Oh well....not a huge deal because I am taking a SRD Saturday because I have a 5K Sun.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

hog4life

Awood, I'm jealous, I need a massage therapist living with me, lol. Hope she made it better.

Kristin, sleeping in is okay, we all need it sometimes.

Jerry, you and the Mrs. are becoming big time Halfer's.

Vance, I like your new avi pic.

I'm off work today, start 4 night shifts tomorrow night. I've had my coffee and oatmeal, about to head out for a little run while my wife sleeps in. Bella continues to get remarkably better each day now. She is eating 2-3 times per day, we're trying to get her weight back. I'm not seeing any more discharges, so the UTI must be getting better with the antibiotics. She is really starting to run and play like she used to before getting sick, so that's good too.

tracilynn

Good news about Bella!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.  I'm having trouble getting going this morning....time for some coffee.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Sick with a stomach virus so I"m home.  SRD.

I might write an RR later if I feel better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

good to hear about Bella, Mitch!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Good to hear about Bella getting better, Mitch!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

HI DR, welcome back!  Will you write a RR for last weekend?

You will appreciate this -- during my run Sunday the sun came out unexpectedly and the temp went up at least 10 degrees.  I was miserable in my short-sleeve tech shirt, so I took it off.  For the first time ever, I ran in just my sports bra.  You were right -- it's wonderful on a hot day!

Full disclosure:  I was running a route where I knew not many people would see me.  I encountered fewer than a dozen people while I was shirtless.  I don't know if I have the fortitude to bare my belly with more people around...I may have to build up to that.  Any drop five pounds and do more crunches.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  We didn't get W1D2 done this morning -- Dusty was too hot to sleep last night, so DH spent a lot of the night downstairs with him.  Since they came back to bed at 3:30, I figured getting up at 5 wasn't happening.  It's too muggy anyway -- 95% humidity when I got up at 6!  Anyway, quartet practice is tonight, so woo-hoo!!

Oh, and jblack, I got my bracelet!!  Thanks!!

Jerryb -- I knew once I stopped complaining about the cold temps, I'd want to complain about the hot temps.  But I'll trade my hot for your cold!

N-Bug -- enjoy your after work run!!

kristin -- yeah, sometimes it's best to put everything down and go to bed, already!

hog -- glad to hear Bella is feeling better!!

traci -- good morning!!

Phillie -- lovely lovely coffee!!!

Docket -- hope you feel better!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

When I feel alive enough, LOL.

HI DR, welcome back!  Will you write a RR for last weekend?

You will appreciate this -- during my run Sunday the sun came out unexpectedly and the temp went up at least 10 degrees.  I was miserable in my short-sleeve tech shirt, so I took it off.  For the first time ever, I ran in just my sports bra.  You were right -- it's wonderful on a hot day!

Full disclosure:  I was running a route where I knew not many people would see me.  I encountered fewer than a dozen people while I was shirtless.  I don't know if I have the fortitude to bare my belly with more people around...I may have to build up to that.  Any drop five pounds and do more crunches.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

hog4life

4 miles done, damn it's hot out there. I want the cold back!

Damaris, glad you made it back home, congrats to you and DH. Sorry you're feeling sick, and I hope you feel better soon.The pics you were putting on FB were nice, I especially liked the one when you were on the bridge.

Traci, do your homework on the Hokas. I have some friends that love them, but I also have some friends that hate them. I believe there is a heel drop that "might" cause problems for some. I'm afraid to try them for that reason. One lady started having foot, ankle, shin, and knee problems, so she went back to a more traditional(Brooks Trance, I think), shoe, and all her issues went away.

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  Sorry I didn't check in for a bit.  I was really busy, and was annoyed by the lack of progress in my knee, and that wasn't a good combo.  I've been running my 3 milers, and they start out great, but I can definitely feel it by the end.  Gotta go in to work in a bit, but I'm hoping to get a run and a walk in afterward.

Jerry- Hope your run goes well!

Vance- Have a good run!

kristin- Taking the time for extra recovery after your race is probably a really good thing.

Mitch- Glad to hear that Bella is doing well.  Hope you are enjoying your day off.

Traci- Morning!

Margo- Can you send some coffee over this way, please?  And congrats on the shirtless run!  I don't know that I will ever get there myself.  I may get brave enough for a tank top this summer.

D- Hope you are feeling better soon!