Beginners and Beyond

Time for TuesDAILIES (Read 45 times)

Good Morning Runners!

Another humid morning out there. Its almost like were not going to get a Fall here in the NE. Easy 5mi 8:31avg pace.

DW is running her first ever 5k this Saturday. I will be running it with her. Will be nice to actually enjoy a 5k and cheer people on...looking forward to it. 

Have a great day!

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Cyberic

For mid October it's pretty warm and humid around these parts, too.

I'll be running some short workout at lunch. Haven't decided yet. Either 200s or a VO2Max workout. I'll probably run home from work, too, to stay on track for my yearly mileage objective.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and if my calves feel up to it, 3 miles.

Fall must be here, since it's only feels like 91F here and 76 dewpoint at 8am. Not too bad.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Hiya kids!  I want to buy my Star Wars tickets but am waiting to hear back from someone.  GRRRRR want to buy now!

Masters swim done this morning.  2100 yards.  I had a good swim, though I did have to cut it just a bit short.  I've got a short tempo workout after work.  It's warm but the humidity has broke.  It should be a nice afternoon for a run.  HM weather for Saturday is looking nice...mid 50's and low humidity.

<3

delicate flower

It's weird to see so many race reports in here, but that's a good thing.  It's like bizarro world.  At least somebody around here is running.

<3

oldfartrunner

Morning Runners,

I'm thinking 10 with 4X800 later. Cold here this morning, like 35  got the gas fireplace on.

CY: Why not do 16X 200s/200JR @ 1-2 mile pace? That will work V02 Max and speed.  That was favorite workout for speed and V02 max back in the day. By about 6-8, the JR gets pretty slow.

Jay: Great your wife is running one!

Baboon: Sounds like PR weather.

onemile

I ran 8

I ran 6.

Dave

zzyzx

lat pulldown, pec fly, and standing calf to lift.

Elliptical. I've been blowing this one off lately as it has an evil hill and hill and more hills setting and it is showing. Rough today. 31 minutes 3.09 miles. It's 0.01 miles behind what I would want.

Uff I completed 8.5miles after a 9 mile sunday. Trying to slowly ramp up mileage after some shin problems 3 weeks ago. Legs feel tired and my knee hurts a bit below the knee cap. Bummer, was hoping to make it through without any pain but ever since I have exceeded the 35 miles per week I keep on having consistent problems: left inside shin pain while running & right knee pain. It doesnt matter which shoes I run in. It doesnt hurt like crazy and it has actually gotten better after I reduced my weekly mileage to about 25m. Funny because I read lawyermoms half marathon thread and she said it actually is better for her to run more easy and do less quality workouts. Its the opposite for me: the quality sessions dont affect me at all. But the long and easy runs do.

Anyways I am a bit nervous because I wanted to run a half at the end of October (29th) but I am currently just averaging 25 miles per week as I am only running every other day. And I might increase this to 30 the last week of training before the taper week but dont have the impression that this will be enough to complete the 13.1m strongly. I have been averaging 25 miles for the past 3 1/2 months and am following a 10week half training plan from Jack Daniels were I am in Phase 4 now - which is a lot of goal pace and tempo run but primarily a lot of easy running. I ran 15k at slightly faster than goal pace without any gels on sunday and felt pretty drained. Could have probably gone on for another 3k but 6??? Hm...well any suggestions are more than welcome! Btw this will be my first hm and I was hoping to get close to 1:50min.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Cyberic

CY: Why not do 16X 200s/200JR @ 1-2 mile pace? That will work V02 Max and speed.  That was favorite workout for speed and V02 max back in the day. By about 6-8, the JR gets pretty slow.

Because I have 35 minutes for my run during lunch, I don't have time for 16 x 200 w/200. Plus, my body doesn't handle speed very well. I still sprinkle a speed workout in my schedule here and there, but 16 x 200 would hurt my groin too much.

Thanks for the suggestion though Smile

oldfartrunner

Because I have 35 minutes for my run during lunch, I don't have time for 16 x 200 w/200. Plus, my body doesn't handle speed very well. I still sprinkle a speed workout in my schedule here and there, but 16 x 200 would hurt my groin too much.

Thanks for the suggestion though Smile

Oh.  I can't run them anymore with my hammy, but love that fast speed work!

Docket_Rocket

Uff I completed 8.5miles after a 9 mile sunday. Trying to slowly ramp up mileage after some shin problems 3 weeks ago. Legs feel tired and my knee hurts a bit below the knee cap. Bummer, was hoping to make it through without any pain but ever since I have exceeded the 35 miles per week I keep on having consistent problems: left inside shin pain while running & right knee pain. It doesnt matter which shoes I run in. It doesnt hurt like crazy and it has actually gotten better after I reduced my weekly mileage to about 25m. Funny because I read lawyermoms half marathon thread and she said it actually is better for her to run more easy and do less quality workouts. Its the opposite for me: the quality sessions dont affect me at all. But the long and easy runs do.

Anyways I am a bit nervous because I wanted to run a half at the end of October (29th) but I am currently just averaging 25 miles per week as I am only running every other day. And I might increase this to 30 the last week of training before the taper week but dont have the impression that this will be enough to complete the 13.1m strongly. I have been averaging 25 miles for the past 3 1/2 months and am following a 10week half training plan from Jack Daniels were I am in Phase 4 now - which is a lot of goal pace and tempo run but primarily a lot of easy running. I ran 15k at slightly faster than goal pace without any gels on sunday and felt pretty drained. Could have probably gone on for another 3k but 6??? Hm...well any suggestions are more than welcome! Btw this will be my first hm and I was hoping to get close to 1:50min.

If you already ran 9, you can finish the HM. With hhe lower mileage, maybe adjust your goal if needed.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

oldfartrunner

Not much time left to make a difference IMO. Hard to run a strong Half without at least 12ers-unless you are very gifted. Smile That's a good Tempo you just ran, if you could go longer and slower the next two weeks-like 12, that is what I'd do before the taper week. But it hurts your knee, the next best thing is do longer Tempos like you did, but cap it @ race pace or slightly slower-so you don't wear your self down, and don't go any further, 15K is a lot of RP Tempo!

Could be as you slow down, your cadence slows down too much and you start to over stride. This can tweak your knee. The leg gets too far out in front. Try keeping a slightly faster cadence and shorter steps on you slow runs and see if that helps. Doing body weight squats may help your knee too. Something to strengthen the muscles around the knee cap.

Being your first Half, relax and have fun, and go out a little slower than you are wanting for 1-3 miles.Just my 2 cents worth.  

GEHamlin

JayB - I totally thought of you after my HM last Saturday. We got COTTON race shirts <gasp>...but mine came in handy when I needed to towel myself off before changing into clean, dry clothes 🤣🤣🤣

Ran 2x laps on the Queensborough Bridge this am. Oof. My poor quads, attacking the bridge a day after a hard 10.5 miler. Fingers crossed it makes me stronger for 11/5! 3 miles, 11:20 pace.