Beginners and Beyond

Swing Low, Sweet SUNDAILIES (Read 43 times)

LRB

Thanks LRB. I never consider my run distances that impressive. Idk. to me I just run an insane amount. I think new runners or those getting pr's etc are more impressive.

I admire your consistency, running long regardless of speed is very demanding.  There is also a monotony factor there that takes a different mindset.  I can do it, but I would rather not lol!

Hip Redux

Totally Kristin - my first mile was way too fast (that's my PR pace, pre-injury!).  There was no way I could hold on, and then I was dying.  At least 5ks are over fast.  Big grin   Live and learn!

outoftheblue, awesome 18.3 on a challenging course.

Scott, I'm glad that you're on the mend. I hope that tomorrow goes well.

Rick, now, I'm even more confused. I haven't done anything different. 14.0 isn't a new distance for me; I comfortably ran it last week (with a LR pace PR!) and the previous week with just water every two miles. My eating, hydrating, and sleeping haven't changed. I'm worried about my HM on May 26. Perhaps today was my body's way of telling me that I should start tapering after this week?

I checked my splits for this morning:

Mile 1 - 9:50.54
        Mile 2 - 9:38.57
        Mile 3 - 9:23.51
        Mile 4 - 9:19.18
        Mile 5 - 9:31.94
        Mile 6 - 9:19.50
        Mile 7 - 9:35.27
        Mile 8 - 9:43.91
        Mile 9 - 9:46.46
        Mile 10 - 9:47.87
        Mile 11 - 9:44.68
        Mile 12 - 9:43.35
        Mile 13 - 9:16.33
        Mile 14 - 9:31.57

On the bright side, even if I feel crappier than the port-a-potties, I'll still probably run my 10K on June 2 in under an hour.

Oski, running a sub-30:00 5K is none too shabby. Congratulations! I'm sure that you're in your way to bigger and better things.

Marjorie, I'm also in awe of you. I hope that, I, too, will be able to comfortably run as far as you run on a regular a basis and recover quickly. I can only imagine how strong a body you have.

This weekend I learned that, in the highly unlikely event that I BQ in October, Boston 2014 would be out of the question because Patriots' Day 2014 will fall on the seventh day of Passover. At least I'll have the day off from work, so I can be a spectator and cheer for the RAers.

I've been spending late afternoon/early evening in a small coastal city, just relaxing. I could have stayed more local, but I don't know anyone here. I needed the anonymity. For various reasons, one of which is my disappointing run this morning, I haven't been in the best mood. I did my ab work on the beach. On a towel, of course.

I'm looking forward to a blissfully dreamless uninterrupted sleep tonight. Have a great one, people!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Finally reading all the RRs and through the thread from earlier today...

CONGRATS to all the racers.

April I'm sorry about your race Sad bad races happen....shake it off you're gonna kill your next one!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jess runs for bacon

Basya, you were pretty tired the other day too right? I don't know if tapering early is the solution, but your body was probably tired today.

LRB

I haven't done anything different. 14.0 isn't a new distance for me; I comfortably ran it last week (with a LR pace PR!) and the previous week with just water every two miles. My eating, hydrating, and sleeping haven't changed.

Then it was just one of those runs that will pay dividends on race day.  Enjoy your evening!

Long day. Late to bed after a party last night in Savannah, up at 6AM to drive the 4 hrs to Atlanta to fly back to Detroit, finally home at about 5PM. Of course it's LR day, so went right out to see what I could get in. Planning about 12, not really a LR but would have to do.  I decided to stretch it longer, 15.26 at 9:09. Raining practically the whole friggin' time. After all my whining about wanting spring to get here, decided I much prefer to run in snow. But pushing it to 15 allowed me to notch my first ever 50-mile week. Also scored my first ever bloody nipple. Dead

Now FINALLY I can get to the RR's, there were a bunch this weekend I was really looking forward to.

Dave

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the RRs today!  Big grin

So I did a 5k this morning.  Crash and burn. lol

Splits were:

8:33/9:35/9:40

0.1 8:31

28:45

This is sort of my baseline number for now, coming off injury.  My first 5k for 2013 was a beast of a hilly route, and it's hard to compare that to the rest of the races I might do this year.   Since I'm concentrating on shorter distances, it was a least a good test of where I am.  Which is... out of shape. lol

It is busy today!  Sorry you weren't really happy with your race.  Like you said though, it's something to go off and now you can build from that.  The speed looks like it's still there from mile one, so you just need to work on maintaining it now.  Coming back from an injury is just hard, so just try to see this as a step in a right and healthy direction.

LRB...Parade...ha!  I am pretty darn excited though, so the idea isn't that far fetched.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

And to April & Basya both - FWIW, my take is that for reasons not always clear, sometimes we just have shitty days.

Then we move on & keep running.

Dave

Hi dailies:

Very tired, I apologize for not reading the whole thead or doing shout outs today.    Last night I let the cat have free reign of the house for the first time, and although he was good, he also saw fit to walk on me every 20 minutes and nudge my face until I petted him.  He's relegated to the back room again for now.

13.1 done, 7:38 pace.  Not feeling well-recovered at all, going to try sleeping more.

Hip Redux

Hi dailies:

Very tired, I apologize for not reading the whole thead or doing shout outs today.    Last night I let the cat have free reign of the house for the first time, and although he was good, he also saw fit to walk on me every 20 minutes and nudge my face until I petted him.  He's relegated to the back room again for now.

13.1 done, 7:38 pace.  Not feeling well-recovered at all, going to try sleeping more.

Sleep is good, for sure.

The pooch has been getting us up damn early every day this week, and while I appreciate how cute he is at 5am, I also want to wring his little neck.  Smile  

lilac_jive, I was tired Thursday night, but I slept a little extra Friday morning, had a good day at work, and had an amazing seven-mile run Friday afternoon. Today was a serious anomaly.

Rick, I hope that this morning's run will pay dividends, as you say.

DaveP MI, you are a machine, fitting a longer-than (by 3.26 miles)-planned run into your day, after partying last night, arising early this morning, and spending much of the day traveling.

Shirfan, excellent virtual half at a really great pace. Rest well.

I'm finally home. I'm too tired to heat anything to eat. I'll just have some Nutella on either Triscuits or multigrain rice cakes and crash.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Columbia also has great food and beer.

Yes, they do!  Just got back from dinner at California Dreaming. Loved it. Tomorrow will be somewhere else, probably the Liberty Tap Room.

We get breakfast at the hotel, and lunch also as part of the conference.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Docket_Rocket

Liberty is great!.  Enjoy!

Yes, they do!  Just got back from dinner at California Dreaming. Loved it. Tomorrow will be somewhere else, probably the Liberty Tap Room.

We get breakfast at the hotel, and lunch also as part of the conference.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Luke79

I'm so behind on the forum... so many RRs to read! Congrats weekend racers. I just got back from Connecticut from the wedding. Had a good time. We were having a few drinks at the hotel bar after they reception had ended, and ran into Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters and Nirvana. Awesome!

OMFG I'm Jelly.  I fucking worship that guy, you don't even know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!