Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Cinco Ranch Rotary Camo 5K in Honor of Military (Read 14 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO AND SHORT VERSION REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was Race number 26 for me for the year 2015.   Cino Ranch Rotary Camo 5K, held on May 23, 2015 in Katy, Texas,  was a Memorial Day weekend event that supported veteran's organization Team RWB (Red White Blue) Houston.  My wife, Gail, and I drove from home in San Antonio to Katy the night before the race - about a 3-hour drive with the crazy weather Texas has been having lately, and the traffic -  and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites on the Katy Freeway, a very nice place, and very convenient too, as Gail's conference was only 4 miles from the hotel and the race site from the hotel was only a 15-minute drive for me, sweet.  The weather cooperated on race day by staying dry - but it was VERY humid.  Katy is about 29 miles from Houston;  and, believe me, Houston-area humidity is SO much different than San Antonio humidity!  I could tell the difference right away, and especially when I started running on the course..gaack!  Normally I do about 32 - 33 minutes for a 5K but for this one the humidity got to me a bit; at one point I got slightly dizzy; well, I've been running for 31 years so I knew what I had to do - slowed down a bit, don't push it, even took an extra walk break..and took water in on the course..just making sure I didn't 'fall out'.  Well not my best effort - probably a combination of the late arrival in Katy, along with a pretty slight dinner before bed, and the humidity - but not too bad either, I ended up with 35:02 chip time, so not too far off the mark of my usual 5K time.  And with the extra walk break, I did get a few extra on-course photos, so it's all good.  After I finished, I walked around a bit, took in more water, and felt much better.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before the Start

Start/finish area was Villiagio Town Center on Westheimer Parkway.  With the good directions I got the day before from a guy at local area Luke's Locker running store, I was there in no time.  It's a pretty little place with shoppes, and a fountain in the center.

photo 003_zpsm7cgpioy.jpg

photo 061_zps5i28piyr.jpg

The empty start/finish line before everyone is lined up.

photo 026_zpsbobxbvw6.jpg

And, of course, some of the pre-race volunteers, participants, and supporters of the race and participants

photo 001_zpsvulf1yfk.jpg

photo 002_zpsfjvlw7s1.jpg

These two ladies are wearing the race shirt participants got

photo 004_zps6gdgqofg.jpg

photo 005_zps8gqobi1a.jpg

photo 006_zpsecbacewk.jpg

photo 007_zpscdbrtuuj.jpg

photo 008_zpsdlhngh6h.jpg

The lady  here is the RD, Melissa; one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.

photo 009_zpslknsvkye.jpg

photo 010_zpse8wggfhk.jpg

photo 011_zpsx7r70hii.jpg

photo 012_zpsnb0o4fom.jpg

photo 013_zpsr40mtml6.jpg

photo 014_zpsvfgc0gyd.jpg

photo 015_zps8oskrfe2.jpg

Photo-bombed!

photo 016_zpsde2dxpat.jpg

photo 017_zpssqe19chd.jpg

photo 018_zpshlplvoxk.jpg

Doggie!  And family.  And yes, I had biscuits and did give a treat to the dog, lol

photo 019_zpsvin7jad0.jpg

photo 020_zpsk0yo6z14.jpg

photo 021_zpsp82y1an5.jpg

Some of Team RWB Houston

photo 023_zpsxrqn5rpk.jpg

photo 024_zpszcnljjlp.jpg

photo 027_zpsngpcuhwj.jpg

Behind me at the start area

photo 028_zpsf9ldycnk.jpg

and ahead of me...

photo 029_zpsaulhh9w9.jpg

On the Course

The course was pretty simple: we started in the parking lot area, went out onto the adjacent road -  4-lane street with each driving side divided by an "island" in the middle that had some really beautiful shade trees - and we went down to a turn-around with the island on our left,,  and then came back up the other side of the road, with the island and trees on our right,  and back to the start/finish line.   The nice thing was the street was and wide on both sides, so plenty of room for everyone.  The course was also VERY flat - so for my fellow San Antonio runners, if you can get used to the Houston humidity, this would be a really good 5K course to shoot for a PR.

photo 030_zps6ewwlmrq.jpg

Gil from Team RWB carrying the flag...

photo 031_zpsael7xsn7.jpg

photo 032_zpsg2fwc2w5.jpg

photo 033_zpswkauumsq.jpg

photo 034_zpska3qjzft.jpg

photo 035_zpsxw5d9pxs.jpg

photo 036_zpseyg5jjhk.jpg

photo 037_zpsdi2sebm2.jpg

photo 038_zps7ed35vs1.jpg

Wounded Warrior with the Flag...kudos to him!  Now if that doesn't tug your heart strings....

photo 039_zpsnigvnlyj.jpg

photo 040_zpsomhxmauz.jpg

photo 041_zpsbzcbcynz.jpg

photo 042_zpsiovtigxw.jpg

Bringing the flag into the finish

photo 043_zpsf5glt4vf.jpg

After the Finish

Water, water, WATER!  Where's the water?   The only thing I would even recommend changing for this race is just to have water right past there near the finish line for participants as they finish - especially needed for slow, fat old guys like me, lol, who really want that water right after being done and not have to go look for it.

Encountered an old friend, Vince - and he is one of the race sponsors too - who lives in Houston and whom I first met through the Runners World forums.

photo 053_zpsqcxydxfr.jpg

photo 054_zps7bdhnq3d.jpg

"Happy Finisher" photos  - I call them that because it always seems to me more people are smiling more after they are done than before and during the event, lol - and volunteers, supporters, et al....

photo 044_zpsdwbhydx5.jpg

photo 045_zps7t5oe2fq.jpg

photo 046_zpsjtdexomg.jpg

photo 047_zpssp5h5foz.jpg

photo 048_zpsg03fkjsy.jpg

photo 049_zpsuvzs2jza.jpg

photo 050_zpszhb1wx7w.jpg

photo 051_zpsptinlvhf.jpg

Post-race pizza, oh yeah.  I had two slices

photo 052_zpsogxnncsd.jpg

photo 055_zps2izue1ex.jpg

photo 056_zpse0tmsjxh.jpg

Luke's Locker ladies

photo 057_zpsf9sleztm.jpg

photo 058_zpsrww6rwfu.jpg

photo 062_zpsbum8zs63.jpg

photo 063_zpsloonk8lc.jpg

Melissa and Chik-Fil-A Cow doing the awards ceremony

photo 059_zpssbocxqvj.jpg

EPILOG

As noted above, that Houston humidity is a killer if you're not used to it.  San Antonio is farther from coast - about 2 hours or so than the Houston area, so I think we have a bit more drier air most of the time than those Houston area folks do.  I really admire the Houston runners who have do deal with that for just about every run!      Aside from the water and the  humidity, which of course the RD can do nothing about....unless maybe she has magic powers...   - combined with my late arrival in Katy and a pretty light dinner before I went to bed late that probably was a contributor to my lack of energy too - this is really  a great event and I definitely would do it again. Met some really great people, nice post-race goodies, very nice race venue, nice race shirt.  Mucho thanks to Team RWB Houston for giving me a warm welcome; to RD Melissa being my point-of-contact; to the guy at Luke's Locker who gave me such great directions to get to the race from my hotel; and to all the law enforcement out there for us and all the volunteers who helped make this happen.

And, of course, mucho thanks to.....

photo 060_zpsdljoupqj.jpg

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

I remember Vince! He seems to be doing well, I'm glad to see that.

You guys were brave to run in such humidity. That must be really challenging. Great cause and very pretty course! Hopefully next year they will think of offering water at the finish. One would think that any race in Texas would have that...

Thanks for sharing, Scotty and congratulations on your 26th! Glad you and Gail could make a little trip of it!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I had some problems seeing some of  the people in your pictures. It's like they were camouflaged or something. I don't remember Vince off hand, but it's always great to run into old friends unexpectedly.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I had some problems seeing some of  the people in your pictures. It's like they were camouflaged or something. I don't remember Vince off hand, but it's always great to run into old friends unexpectedly.

Don't know what that's about, sorry.  Did chat with others I sent the photos to and everyone else could see all the photos, so I don't know what to tell you, George.   Maybe your computer thinks my computer is trying to hack you...    .....also, my brain just went into gear...."they were camouflaged...".....lol...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Scotty- I'm glad you recognized how you were feeling and took it easy so that the end result is another fun completed race and Scotty healthy enough to keep going!

I used to ride horses out in Katy when I was a kid (right down the street from the race!), so it was fun to head about it again. Smile