Beginners and Beyond

Whoop Whoop Wednesday Penguins! (Read 32 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

4 miles done lastnight at 9:37m/m. I felt like I could have just ran all night! The weather was so freaking amazing!

Tonight I have 3 miles with 6x 15sec hill sprints. Is that really enough?

Oh and today is my Friday, so that is exciting I'm off for the next 5 days and  tomorrow is my B'day Smile I'll be a big 30.

Bin - Congrats on the beautiful baby girl! Good luck getting sleep for the next couple of months Wink

For everyone else - HAPPY HUMP DAY!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ah I was just about to start it! Thanks Jimmy!

Big congrats to bin on the birth of his daughter!!!

Guys I need advice. I'm in my taper, and have an awful cold. It started as a head cold but has now moved to my chest. I have a terrible cough. Do I try to run a little this week anyway or just rest til my HM on Saturday? Is not running during the taper very detrimental? Should I do a short jog? Should I just concentrate on resting and getting better?? Help!!!!! I'm in taper madness mode and panic mode because of this cold....ugh.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Philliefan33

Good morning Penguins

JImmy-- glad to hear you had a good run.  The hill sprints might not sound like much, but if you haven't been doing that kind of workout it's better to go easy the first couple of times.

Kristin -- if you feel too ill to run, then you need to rest.  If you feel like an easy jog -- even of just a mile -- would be doable, then do that.  I'm sorry that you got hit with this now, right before your race.

Bin -- Congratulations on your new baby girl.  Best wishes to your family.

AFM -- The stress level is starting to build with the work move.  Everyone is trying to get work done in the next two weeks, but we keep getting hit with more tasks, and of course more meetings to discuss the work.  We'd be better off if the bosses stopped having meetings and just left us alone to get the work done.

Running is good.  I've had to rearrange and/or alter some of my workouts because of scheduling but I'm pretty much keeping up with the plan.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Jimmy - I've never done any hill work.  So, I have no idea.  Have a happy birthday!

Kristin - When I got sick before my half in the spring I shut it down as soon as it got into my chest.  I don't think a ran at all the week leading up to the race.  I got some medicine, and I slept as much as I could.  I felt pretty good by the day of the race, and I think I did well.

Phillie - Nothing is more frustrating than excess meetings about the work you'd like to be doing if you weren't stuck in a meeting.

Bin - Congratulations!

AFM - I just have a short run tonight.  My tempo went well last night.  I'll catch you all later.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Thanks, guys.

Chilling at hospital for a 3D2N stay. Haa

Probably can't run till Friday but I do have my running gears with me.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Hello Penguins!

Bin - congrats on your new baby!

Jblack - hill sprints are deceiving, just do what they tell you.

Kristin - you are 4 days out from your half - I would rest and get better. As they would say "The hay is in the barn" .

Phillie - Isn't work great - go full speed a head until you get bogged down with a meeting

Awood - glad the tempo went well

As for me, I nailed my 9x200's last night - I converted my time and I was running a 5:46 pace! Now if I could hold that pace in a 5K!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning Penguins!

Jimmy, enjoy(?) the hill sprints and the time off!  Happy Birthday! (just in case I don't post tomorrow)

Kristin, I say rest.  Your fitness is what it is, better to be rested and hopefully done with the cold in time for your race.  If you're feeling better by Friday, then maybe a couple of easy miles, just to loosen up your legs, but if you're still not feeling good, then more rest.

PF, I feel your pain, sometimes I think I spend more time in telecons than I do actually working. :|

Awood, enjoy your run!

Bin, congrats again, she's beautiful!  Glad baby and mom are both doing well.

Gustav, great job on the intervals!

AFM, 8.3 soggy miles done this morning.  It's funny, there's usually a pretty decent amount of walkers & runners out in the mornings, except when it rains, then I'm the only one out there. lol

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wonderful run after work yesterday!  3.5 miles of hills.  I was especially happy about the Zoo Hill which is pretty steep...I "attacked" that sucker and got up it quicker than I ever have before.  Felt strong for the whole run.  Weather was simply beautiful.  Sunny, yes, but a nice temp of 84 degrees, dewpoint in the 60s, light breeze.   Got a bonus when  I ran through the campus of Trinity University, a few of their team 'cheer squads" were out practicing on the athletic fields, so I enjoyed some Great Legs dancing as I passed by, nice. Big grin  Today is a non-running day for me.  Gail and I are going to do a weight-training workout after work.

Enjoy your early Friday, Jimmy, and Happy Birthday tomorrow!  15 seconds can be enough, all right, depending on the hill. And you will be doing several repeats, so if you're not used to hill training, it will catch up to you fast.  Better to start off easy and build up.

Congrats, Bin, on the birth of your daughter!    So what is her name.  Female version of yours, maybe?  Binette.... Wink

Hope you feel better, Kristin!

Sorry about the moving stress, Philly!  Next time your bosses say "Meet!", tell them you have another 4-letter word for them:  "Work!"  Good luck with the move.

You have never done hill work, Awood?   You've ALWAYS run on flat courses?  If you've ever run hills on your route, then you've done hill work!  It may not be structured like hill repeats, but hills are hills!   I hate hill repeats - BORING! - so once a week I just do a VERY hilly route (5 - 7 hills along the way) and that is my hill training for the week.  Happy short run tonite!

Wow, SPEEDY, Gustav!  Congrats!

Cuz you are hard-core, Dave!   All the other runners in your area are weather-wimps! Wink  Congrats on your soggy miles!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4-5 after work.  4 days to Chicago Marathon.  Excited to volunteer and cheer.  Make that "voluncheer".

Enjoy the long weekend Jimmy and BDay.

Get some rest Bin.  Smile

Mmmmm...beer

Agreed Scotty, like Bill Bowerman said, "There's no such thing as bad weather, just soft people" Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy October 9th! On this day in history, the public was first admitted to the Washington Monument on October 9, 1888.  And the Korean War started with North Korea invading South Korea on Oct 9, 1950.

Today's holidays:

Leif Ericson Day

Moldy Cheese Day

National Chess Day

Submarine Sandwich/Hoagy/Hero Sandwich Day

viking cartoons, viking cartoon, viking picture, viking pictures, viking image, viking images, viking illustration, viking illustrations

moldy cartoons, moldy cartoon, moldy picture, moldy pictures, moldy image, moldy images, moldy illustration, moldy illustrations

moldy cartoons, moldy cartoon, moldy picture, moldy pictures, moldy image, moldy images, moldy illustration, moldy illustrations

chess cartoons, chess cartoon, chess picture, chess pictures, chess image, chess images, chess illustration, chess illustrations

chess cartoons, chess cartoon, chess picture, chess pictures, chess image, chess images, chess illustration, chess illustrations

KEYWORD1  2008-05-21  media  entertainment  food  foods  eat  eating  dine  dining

KEYWORD1  2010-10-22  movie  movies  horror  horrors  horror film  horror films  film  films

KEYWORD1  2009-03-23  my mother’s been dropping things and just found out it&acir

submarine sandwich cartoons, submarine sandwich cartoon, submarine sandwich picture, submarine sandwich pictures, submarine sandwich image, submarine sandwich images, submarine sandwich illustration, submarine sandwich illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  4 miles tonight, most likely with hubby.

Lauren, if you read this, please post your miles by noon today.

Kristin, don't run and try to get better before the race.

Jimmy, enjoy your Friday.

Margo, sorry about the work stress.  Hope it improves.

Awood, enjoy the short run.

Bin, enjoy the baby and the rest days.

Gustav, nice intervals!

D2, nice 8.

Scotty, nice job.

Jerry, excited here too!  Hope I get to see you!

Have a great day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Congrats on the new baby!

3 Easy this morning on my mini taper for my 10k Saturday.

From the Internet.

D - Posted! Meant to do it yesterday morning and of course promptly forgot.

Bin - congrats again! Baby pics were adorable Smile Baby pics and kitten pics, it's been a great week for cute things in the penguin threads!

URD for me. Was going to do some water running but I woke up totally exhausted. Went for 150 lbs on my squat yesterday afternoon and that apparently was enough to tucker me out! Also tried running to/from the gym in my NB Minimus before I commit to buying a pair of Altras - I figure that's a cheap way to try out this whole zero-drop thing. 0.17 miles there and 0.27 miles back according to MapMyRun. I walk around barefoot at home and wear Tom's most days, and I was a rider (of horses) in my past life (heels down all the time!) so hopefully my already-stretchy Achilles won't protest too much.