Beginners and Beyond

Chambersburg HM - a RR (Read 59 times)

GinnyinPA

I really wanted to run Chambersburg, since it's our local HM and I know the course fairly well.  I've run it about 5-6 times on long runs, so I knew it was hilly, but mostly just easy rolling hills with a couple of fairly steep climbs.  The course is rural, past snow covered fields and a few dairy farms.  There are a couple of pretty views toward the mountains. It's always a nice run.  I was supposed to do this race in 2012 as my first half, but ended up DNS with a pelvic stress fracture 5 days before the race. The next two years I couldn't run it because I was coming back from injury both years and wasn't ready to race at the beginning of March.  I finally ran a half last April in a neighboring town, and had a good race albeit with a lot of crash and burn at the end.  That has been my only attempt at a HM, thanks to timing and money issues.

I wasn't sure how I'd do today.  I'm in the middle of marathon training, so my base is better than it was last year, but because of that training, I didn't taper for this race.  Last Sunday I ran 19 miles.  I've also been battling ongoing hamstring tendonitis.  It usually behaves when I run easy, but when I try to push the pace, it acts up, so I've done almost no speed work.  Weather was a factor.  We had a snow storm on Thursday that left snow and ice in all the shady spots along the roads.  The temperature at 8:30 was around 17.  My Garmin said the average was 21 F. with 10 mph winds.  I've never run outside in temperatures that cold.  I have a treadmill, so when it gets below 28 or so, I stay inside. I had no idea how I would handle running hard in real cold.  I really stressed out about it, and ended up only sleeping for about 2 hours last night.

The cold turned out not to be much of a problem.  At the last minute, I added a layer to what I had planned, and though I was a little warm, I never got too hot. When heading into the wind, I had everything zipped up, if not, the zippers were open.  It worked.  Ice on the road wasn't as much of a problem as expected since there was usually a path that was clear -- usually the yellow line in the middle of the road.   This is a small race, so the roads were open to traffic, and there was more traffic than I expected.  The drivers seemed to be pretty patient though, and they wove their way slowly through the runners.  We did a lot of zig-zagging between the curvy road and the snow/ice. (Headphones are forbidden in this race, because of the traffic and curves.)

My goal was to finish somewhere between 2 hours and my old PB of 2:08:53. The McMillan calculator said I should be able to finish in 2:00:23, based on a very flat 10k I ran last fall, but given the lack of race specific training and no taper, I thought that was a stretch.  My plan was to start at 9:30 for the first couple of miles and increase the pace to about 9:15, and if that was comfortable, increase it again.  Of course, that isn't at all what happened. I just don't work that way.  I started out way too fast. My Garmin was hidden by layers of sleeves, and I couldn't see well anyway between running into the sun the first half of the race and watery eyes from the cold.  Still, I looked down about 1/2 mile in and saw an 8, so I slowed down, just not as much as I had intended. But that's no surprise, since I always end up running by feel in the end.  Since the course is hilly, there were easy stretches and hard ones, fast ones and slow.  By mile 5 I was afraid I was heading for another crash and burn so I took a gel after the water stop there, which helped.  I walked all the water stops (2.5, 5, 8, 10.5) and ended up walking the top of a couple of the steeper hills.  I probably could have run them--I did in training--but I badly needed the break and since everyone around me was walking, I just followed suit. The last big hill is at 9 1/2 miles, so after that I just coasted home.  It felt hard, but not 5k hard. There were a couple of people ahead of me I tried to reel in on the last mile, but I didn't have the energy at that point.  But nobody passed me at the end either.   I feel good about the race.  I did better than I expected.  I didn't fall apart at the end and was actually able to do the last two miles at 10k pace.  I got 3rd in my AG.  I don't know how many were in my AG though.

Final time per the Garmin was 2:00:50.  I think the official time was 2:00:49, but the results haven't been posted yet.

Splits were:

1  8:57 up 53'
    2  9:14 up 55'
    3  9:32  up 117' water break
    4  8:51
    5  9:07
    6  9:24
    7  9:03
    8  9:18
    9  9:23 water
    10  9:16 up 47'
    11  9:36  up 58, down 91'  - water break
    12  8:48
    13  8:47
    .18  8:22

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Heck yes! Way to go, Ginny. With the way you have been running lately, that sub 2:00 is yours. Great stuff!

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!  Well done!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

YAYESS!  WTG those last 2 mile spilts

~~~~~~~

Traci

LRB

You started with a sub-9:00 and finished with not one but two of them! Shit, find a flat HM and you might knock another 8 minutes off your time!

Your perseverance has paid off, you must be so happy, and so hungry; for more!

happylily

Wow, that's a speedy finish time! Especially in the middle of marathon training, after an 19 miler last week and in hills no less! Bravo, Ginny, well done! And an AG place? Double bravo! I predict a great first marathon for you. Good luck!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Brilliant

Ginny, an AG place - fantastic!!  You are definitely going to  beat 2:00 on your next attempt.

From the Internet.

Woohoo, nice race Ginny! Big grin

music_girl117

Congrats, you did a great job!!  I agree with the others, you would *crush* a flat HM course.  What a great finish you had, wow!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Cyberic

Congratulations Ginny.

PADRunner

WTG Ginny, nicely done!

Zelanie

Ginny, sounds like you had a fantastic run!  In the middle of marathon training to have run so well must be such a confidence boost. Smile  You know that sub-2 is there for you if you decide to go for it after your marathon.  And WOW on that last 5K!

So happy for you! Awesome job. Glad the cold didn't have a negative affect in your race. Next year, you won't have to worry about it. Can't wait to hear about the sub 2:00 in your future.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

Hip Redux

That's wonderful!  Nice job Smile

Nice job in the cold, training through. Pretty solid splits considering the hills. WTG on the strong finish.

Dave