Beginners and Beyond

Skyscraper Friday Penguins (Read 22 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Today is apparently International Skyscraper Day :-)  Maybe that means I should do the stairs in my building.  I'm think running up 37 flights of stairs would probably kill me.  I did the stairs once during Hurricane Sandy and that was not very fun.

For today either 4 and a bit of strength work at home or running to and from yoga (4.8).  To be determined depending on the weather and my mood.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Morning, did 7 on the TM this morning. I wanted to get a feel for my race next week.

It's an out and back T kind of course. The first and last 3.5 have a few a few hills, not bad going out but will probably be mountains coming back at 23. Current  weather forecast clear 60-70.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy Friday!  Did my Dog Alley route at Fort Sam Houston yesterday.  Just beautiful weather, 68 degrees, sunny, a light wind, sweeeeet!  Did 3.2 miles and then went back into the military gym and did my weights circuit training for legs.   Today is a rest day and packet pickup day for my 5K tomorrow morning - the "Get Your Rear in Gear 5K" helps raise funds for colon cancer research, so this is a personal one for me as that was my type of cancer.

Today is March 27th and today's holidays are:

International Skyscraper Day, as sapf mentioned an PAD titled..

Quirky Country Music Song Titles Day (which I thought was yesterday, but it's today) - so today be sure to visit "Dixie Rose Deluxe's  Honky-Tonk Feed Store, Gun Shop,Used Car, Beer, Bait, BBQ, Barber Shop, Laundromat"...yep, this is an actual country music song title....or of you are lazy today..."Get Your Biscuits In The Oven and Your Buns In Bed"....

Today's food holiday:  Spanish Paella Day  - an internationally-known rice dish from Spain. It originated in the fields of a region called Valencia on the eastern coast of Spain. Today paella is made in every region of Spain, using just about any kind of ingredient that goes well with rice. There are as many versions of paella

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning, Scott, sapf, and PAD.  Breakfast with the retired Feds this morning.  Short run this afternoon after the coffee stops sloshing around.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Zel and Jerry: No OR or Big 12 schools for DD. They are going up to the central coast of CA; Santa Cruz, Monterrey, San Luis Obispo...  Today is DD2's 14th birthday and I am celebrating it by not running. I am not running because the PT has prescribed a week of rest and ice.

Other that that, DD1 has another track meet tomorrow and we are taking DS back to university in San Diego. Lots of miles this weekend, those of the driving kind, not running. Sigh...  Oh well, at least there is beer.

Have a good weekend.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 7 miles tonight.

I am allergic to shellfish but I make a mean vegetarian paella, for those that want to try it (Zel, maybe).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

It was funny when someone at my OBGYN asked me, allergic to shellfish?  What happens when you eat it?  Die.  Oh, OK.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  I have 10 planned for today.  Plus I am making some kind of dessert to take to a family dinner- there's a cousin or something in town because they are also on a road trip looking at colleges.

Jack- Is this the same knee thing, or something new?

tracilynn

Hey pengs

pad the forecast looks pretty good.  

Jack, enjoy college shopping with your daughter.  Sorry to hear about the rest and ice BS

Hey scotty, sapf, and jerry

My running is not so good right now. My shin kills me off and on. PT people don't really know what it is or how to fix it. They want me to go ahead and run my HALF next sat and then take 2 MONTHS (!!! WTF) off and blast my core/hips/low back with strength exercises and then start running again very slowly.  Have not decided what to do yet but it PROB won't be that 

Hope everyone has a great weekend full of beer and peeps and Cadbury and Reese's cup eggs.

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

sapf - enjoy your four miles plus strength or yoga, whichever you end up doing.

PAD - sounds like nice weather for the race.  Much better than snow and ice!  What's the total elevation gain, do you know?  Good luck.

Scotty - enjoy your RD and your race tomorrow.

HopesMom - good luck tonight with the competition.

Jerry - I hope you got a nice high carb breakfast to fuel your run.

Jack - I'm sorry you're still (or again) in pain.  The ankle?

D - enjoy your seven tonight.  My mother was off and on allergic to shrimp, but she loved them so she'd eat them if offered and just take the risk of coming down with hives.  I never did understand that, since I'm not a shellfish lover.

Z - hope your ten go well.  What dessert did you make?  Yours always look so good.

Traci - your shin sounds like my hamstring.  The off and on is what makes it hard.  If it hurt all the time, you'd know you have to stop running, but the good days make it seem possible to run and race despite the injury.  Good luck.

Rest day here, which is good since I'm a bit stiff from yesterday's 5 mile run plus 5 walking.

tracilynn

sapf - enjoy your four miles plus strength or yoga, whichever you end up doing.

PAD - sounds like nice weather for the race.  Much better than snow and ice!  What's the total elevation gain, do you know?  Good luck.

Scotty - enjoy your RD and your race tomorrow.

HopesMom - good luck tonight with the competition.

Jerry - I hope you got a nice high carb breakfast to fuel your run.

Jack - I'm sorry you're still (or again) in pain.  The ankle?

D - enjoy your seven tonight.  My mother was off and on allergic to shrimp, but she loved them so she'd eat them if offered and just take the risk of coming down with hives.  I never did understand that, since I'm not a shellfish lover.

Z - hope your ten go well.  What dessert did you make?  Yours always look so good.

Traci - your shin sounds like my hamstring.  The off and on is what makes it hard.  If it hurt all the time, you'd know you have to stop running, but the good days make it seem possible to run and race despite the injury.  Good luck.

Rest day here, which is good since I'm a bit stiff from yesterday's 5 mile run plus 5 walking.

Ginny! Yes exactly!  My shin will KILL one day and be fine the next day. Its frustrating.  There's no rhyme or reason to it either.  Its a damn Chinese mind puzzle, I swear. Cannot figure it out.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Traci and Jack, sorry about the injuries plaguing you. Sad

Ginny and Scotty, enjoy the rest.

PAD, your weather sounds great for the marathon; hope it stays that way.

sapf, Jerry, Zel, and Damaris, happy running.

5 easy miles done for me this morning.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Morning, did 7 on the TM this morning. I wanted to get a feel for my race next week.

It's an out and back T kind of course. The first and last 3.5 have a few a few hills, not bad going out but will probably be mountains coming back at 23. Current  weather forecast clear 60-70.

I ran the Half there last year and it is part of the same course.  Yes mile 23- 23.7  was the same as the 10-10.7 on the Half course.  And no it was not fun at all.   Elevation from my garmin was 433-506 in that distance.

Total elevation delta was was from a 414-506.

Link to half marathon course - https://connect.garmin.com/course/6098513

PAD,

As a note: I think I'll go out for the 10k - will be on the course after if you need me.

From the Internet.

Ginny! Yes exactly!  My shin will KILL one day and be fine the next day. Its frustrating.  There's no rhyme or reason to it either.  Its a damn Chinese mind puzzle, I swear. Cannot figure it out.

Honestly... my left shin is still like this and I mostly just ignore the little bastard. If it's particularly achy to the touch after a run, or if it starts to give me annoying twinges while I'm not running, I might give it an extra day or two off. But it doesn't hurt while I'm running so I've given up trying to please it. And I stopped icing forever ago because that seemed to make it more sensitive - that area gets poor blood flow anyway, no need to make it worse with ice.

Over the years it seems like it's gradually gotten tougher, but at this point I don't know that it'll EVER be normal/not hurt at random times. Maybe once I'm running like 70mpw it will finally give up and fall in line :P