Beginners and Beyond

Aaaaand ... it's Tuesday, Penguins! (Read 15 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey all, how's life?  I had a dentist appointment yesterday smack in the middle of the day, which makes driving to work and back kind of useless.  So I burned a sick day and just enjoyed the day with DH.  I got almost everything together for my Halloween costume (well, not the gingerbread man), so now I just need to sew the elastic on the wings, and I should be pretty much good to go.  Work will be crazy the next couple of days, so here I go, diving in!!

Hey, Phillie!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Morning!  I have a shiny new 225! Smile  My 610 still is a pain to sync, plus this weekend it charged backwards again, forcing me onto the TM for lack of a watch to wear.  Thinking of giving up the fitbit since it does steps and sleep, but first I gotta see how it works and if I feel obnoxious wearing it around all day.

PADRunner

Morning, 6.4 done group later.

225 I want!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I started the day with an asthma attack thanks to my office.  I was told to report to the office because my office was ready from the remodeling.  Well, the rest of the office is being remodeled so guess who got sick as soon as she came in?  I needed to be sent home to work here.  Have to report tomorrow when they have a place outside of the office for me.  FFS.

Will run tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Walked this morning, will do yoga later.

Mel-- DH found a Fitbit Zip while we were hiking at Zion a couple of weeks ago. I've been wearing it (just sorta curious as to how many steps I get on mom-running days). So far I haven't felt too goofy with it on, but the Zip is the smallest I think-- it just clips on. I can hide it pretty well if I need to.

DR, I hope they can find you a healthy office, or at least let you work from home until they do.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

20 miles done. Boom! Time for a shower and to ESU. I finished next to the whole foods. I felt bad for my shopping companions Wink

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Sheesh.  I took a business trip in August.  DH went with me.  We are required to use a particular company to book travel, since I work for a university.  I used said company, gave them my budget code for my airfare, paid with my credit card for DH's airfare, and reserved all the rest of the stuff on my credit card.

Said company then charged me for both airfares.  Which the university frowns on -- they want to pay for business flights.

I pointed this out to said company.

They apologized, charged my budget code, and promised to send me a check for the part they'd mistakenly charged to me.

I sent multiple emails chasing down this check, finally got it about six weeks later.

When submitting my paperwork for reimbursement, my department's fiscal staff attempted to reimburse me for the flight.

I pointed out that they shouldn't, because the university paid for it.

The fiscal staff said they'd take care of it.

Time passes ...

And now I'm told that they overpaid me by reimbursing me for my flight, and I have to give them a check for the difference.

Why is it I'm the only one capable of doing my job ... and OTHER PEOPLE'S AS WELL??? 

Docket_Rocket

Ugh, sounds like a nightmare!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

HsM, sounds incredibly frustrating, especially for expensive stuff like airfare!

I've been wearing a fitbit for close to a year now and like it. The question is, do I look pretentious wearing my Garmin around all day instead?

Brilliant

Jill, how did it go?

Hopesmom, that's bureaucracy for you!

I ran 5.7 easy this morning.  I think I'm going to lose a toe.  Not a toenail...the whole toe is purple.  WTH?? It didn't hurt after the race on Sunday but it's been developing pain and purple-ness since then.

GinnyinPA

Brilliant - ouch. I can understand not feeling the bruise during your race, but something that purple should have made itself felt once you stopped abusing your feet.   I don't know if it's too late to ice it, but you can try.

HopesMom - bureaucracy always screws up, eventually.  Good luck getting it straight.

Damaris - They should have known that the paint smells etc. were going to linger, probably for at least a week since the building is probably closed up.  I hope you feel better.

Z - new watches are fun.  I wear mine all the time.  A little dorky, but I don't mind.

PAD - I hope the double went well.

sapf - good job on the 20.  How did it go?

Philliefan - welcome back.  You've been missed.

AFM:  I'm going to join the Beer Runners this evening if it isn't pouring when I leave the house.   I may go early and do a couple of extra miles since I didn't have a chance earlier.  Company is gone.  It will be nice to have the house to ourselves again after 5 days of being social.

Docket_Rocket

According to them, the paint does not smell.  Because smell = fumes.  Sure.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Okay now that I've showered and epsom salt bathed and all that jazz I can post more details.

HsM - sucks that people are so inept at their jobs =(

Zel - how's the 225?  I'm thinking of switching to it because while I like my running watch, I can't wear the heart rate monitor strap for anything over a few miles re: chafing.  I wear my polar m400 all day because it is an activity tracker.  People sometimes think it is a smart watch.  Mostly they comment that it is huge on my wrist.  It is especially funny when I have it on with girly clothing because it truly looks like a man's watch on me.

PAD - enjoy the double

DR - sorry about the asthma attack :-(  have you had lifelong asthma or did it develop as an adult?  Things like paint can be off gassing for awhile even if there isn't an active "smell".

Philliefan - my friend used to just attach her fitbit zip to her bra.  She found that if she clipped it to her pants then sometimes it would fall off when she had to use the bathroom.  She loved it (until she lost it).

Allison - is it super painful?  My brother had gout and massive massive toe pain.  Get yourself to a doctor if it really hurts or doesn't improve in a few days.

Ginny - Enjoy the beer run!!

The 20 went decently well.  I met with a couple of different running friends for various parts of it an listened to podcasts.  I stopped frequently to stretch and shake things out.  For the most part everything felt good, but I did get tired and sore towards the end.  I also forgot to bodyglide some seams... so chafing galore.  I had to wear my glasses during the run because I'm getting a lasik consult on Thursday.  I felt like a sweaty, smelly, super nerd :-)  At one point I got passed by like 40 or so high school boys running around the reservoir  for gym class.  I was at mile 17 and change at that point so I didn't really mind.  My route ended near the whole foods at columbus circle, so I went grocery shopping immediately after and headed home.  I figured it was better to pick up the essentials today because I have no idea how sore I'll be tomorrow.  Also I was really hungry (thirsty?) for some chocolate (soy or almond) milk at that point.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

The 225 is a big manly looking watch, but it is lighter and more comfortable than the 610. After walking around all day with it and the fitbit, it says that I got 600 steps less than the fitbit. I bet the garmin number is right.

Sapf, way to go on the 20!