Beginners and Beyond

Looking for race weekend of Oct 11-12 (Read 60 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm thinking in terms of an ultra no longer than 100K, but marathons, HMs, and even something special in the way of a shorter race would be acceptable. I'd like to treat myself to a BD race, so I'm looking for something special in the way of scenery or that could be coupled with sightseeing. Anything not too strenuous in or near national or state parks or mountains would be ideal, but I'll consider other areas, especially if I've never been there. Possibilities of an FE would also be attractive.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

runwell3

You could come revisit some of your old stomping grounds...Hartford is on 10/11 & is definitely a BQ opportunity.  (not sure what a BD race is tho, so can't say if it is or isn't one of those)

Hip Redux

This was a beautiful race on Newport Island, RI.   Oct 12th this year.

http://www.uhcmarathon.com/

The half marathon is bumpy, but nothing wicked crazy.  Amazing views of the ocean for large parts of it.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You could come revisit some of your old stomping grounds...Hartford is on 10/11 & is definitely a BQ opportunity.  (not sure what a BD race is tho, so can't say if it is or isn't one of those)

BD - birthday. I don't change AGs this year, but had a blast last year that weekend at the Towpath non-marathon get together the weekend the Towpath Marathon was supposed to be run. Thought it would be fun to make something like that an annual event.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, George, we have these coming up in Texas..

https://www.edsregistration.com/events/49

but let me tell you these trails are TOUGH!  I've been to the Muleshoe park in Spicewood and I only did the 5K trail run there and thought I was gonna die, lol.

OTOH, there is a beautiful lake below the trails and you have some really nice views of it as you run above it.

On April 19th is the Luckenbach Texas half marathon and 5K...since it's sponsored by Lone Star  - a great Texas brewery - there will be plenty of beer!   http://www.lone-star-half.com/

Also, these places are only a couple hours from San Antonio so since it is Fiesta Time here, you could come to San Antono post-race for margaritas, daquiries, etc. on the San Antonio Riverwalk. 

It is probably a far piece for you to travel though, from where you live.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

I will be in a city you know very well, from October 10th to 14th, for a little known marathon. But it's more of an urban jungle scenery than a green forestial landscape. :-) However, I believe you have family in the area, so maybe you'd like to visit them. If we meet that weekend, I promise to help you finish the birthday cake. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

slowrunningjulie

This was a beautiful race on Newport Island, RI.   Oct 12th this year.

http://www.uhcmarathon.com/

The half marathon is bumpy, but nothing wicked crazy.  Amazing views of the ocean for large parts of it.

I was going to suggest this race as well. I have never run it, but have heard good things.The Hartford marathon is also on that same weekend, on October 11.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon