Beginners and Beyond

Athletics Canada won't let Lanni Marchant run the marathon in Rio, although she qualified (Read 50 times)

Cyberic

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/rio2016/track-field/lanni-marchant-rio-marathon-1.3642575

At the 2012 Olympics, only 22 runners lined up for the 10,000, whereas 118 ran the marathon. Athletics Canada is compelled to try to game the outcome to keep in good standing with OTP and Sport Canada. If Marchant finishes top 10 in the 10,000, that will look like a success. But a 20th place in marathon would be seen as a step backwards and, from a funding perspective, too risky.

It's how OTP functions: it funds the lowest hanging fruit. That's why Canada dumps cash into sports like canoeing, even though it's a far less accessible at the grassroots level than running. Thankfully, only 18 nations had qualified for the 48 canoeing medals up for grabs at the 2012 London Olympics and Canada managed to win three.

Marchant wants to do both events she's qualified for, and after proving she's incredibly fit, is in the right to demand that she be allowed to also run the marathon. Each country is allocated three spots in athletics events, and in both the 10,000 and the marathon, Marchant is only one of two runners who made Canada's qualification times.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hope they let her do it (although I suspect it's now too late for that).

Damaris

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Hope they let her do it (although I suspect it's now too late for that).

I believe final declarations for the Olympics isn't until the day after the US Olympic Trials conclude.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRB

I'm not sure about Shalane Flanagan (2008) or Amy Cragg (2012), both former Olympians in the 10k, but am fairly certain Galen Rupp plans to compete in the 10k and the marathon in Rio. Or at least he stated as much after winning the trials back in the winter.