Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILY Penguin's Thanksgiving Week (Read 31 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Monday. A little snow forecast, but I think we will get out today.  Try for 5 after work.

Have a great Thanksgiving week !!!!

on my way to badass

Good morning Penguins. Waiting for the school bus this morning it was 11F. Fortunately no wind and it is supposed to warm up some. Housework for me and then 4easy. 20F with no wind would be perfect.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I just got back from my run in 25 degrees with a Real Feel of 9. Since I've learned my lesson that the park I run in is extra windy since it is on the bay and it usually feels 10 degrees colder than even the "feels like," I dressed for what I thought would be appropriate for 0 degrees. Swing and miss.....this time on the overdressing side. Never thought I'd be so hot and sweaty outdoors in single digit temps! Also, only had time for 2 miles.....all the bundling up took way longer than I usually take to get ready and I only had a half hour from out the door til when I needed to be back in. Oh well, live and learn! 

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

Jerry - Good luck with the 5

Stone - That's freaking cold just to be standing there  waiting!

Kristin - Keep trying, you'll get it figured out! I'd probably overdress to though for a Feels like of 9 degrees! BRRRRRR

Speaking of cold weather, I have a guy who sits across from me, he is going to Canada in Jan. to be with his girlfriend while she undergoes surgery. While he is there the average temp for that area is -30C or -22F... That's way to damn cold!

Got up at 3:45am this morning and got to the gym at 4am.. that wasn't a ton of fun, but it was either that or not get to go today. Have 3 miles planned for after work then its off to the hospital to check in on some friends that just had a baby.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  T25 Cardio this morning done, 6 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Morning all!

Kristin - that happened to me yesterday, I was as sweaty as I would be running in 70-80 degree temps! I didn't do a lot of running outside last year so I'm still trying to figure out how to dress for winter. On the bright side, since I was sweating like a beast in 23F/feels like 8 I know that I have clothing to be comfortable outside in even colder weather.

Forcing myself to take an SRD today, I ran 7 days in a row last week and got in 3 really good lifting workouts. Part of me wants to keep pushing while I feel good but my smart brain knows I should take a rest day now and then so I don't get injured again.

Dad on the run.

Lauren - are you a bottomless pit with the running and weightlifting? Days where I have a really good lifting day I feel like no matter what I eat I'm never satisfied.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

From the Internet.

Jimmy - not anymore, actually! For a few months I was definitely a bottomless pit on lifting days but I think my body's finally gotten used to it. I also like to time workouts so that I eat a meal right after and I think that's helped too.

Zelanie

Morning!  Today I have training and meetings all day (one that I have to lead), and then conferences all night.  Then tomorrow, it's conferences all day and all night.  Boo!  Good thing I need to recover from my race, because I don't think I'd have time to run either day.  I'm a bit sore this AM, not too bad.

Jerry- Good luck getting out in the cold!  So if you normally work 4 days, do you just work 2 this week?  Will tomorrow be your Fruesday?

StoneFence- Sounds like a nice day!

kristin- Rock on!  You are super tough getting out there and getting the miles in in that weather!  And now you know you have the gear for even colder days!

Jimmy- Hope that your run goes well, and congrats to your friends!

D- Enjoy the miles later.  What race is DH running?

Lauren- SRD Sounds like the very best thing you can do for yourself.

Obie- So happy to hear about your great uncle!  Hope that he continues to improve!

obiebyke

Planning on 3 easy after work today, just to say hi to my legs before my Turkey Trot. Thankfully it's warmer today. Not a fan of those colder ones, Kristin! I also decided that I HATE running on city streets in the dark, even with a headlamp, so when I possibly can, I'm headed to dedicated paths. Plus it's nicer by the river or lake.

MTA: You sneaked in, Z! Thanks. No updates since I left yesterday, but I take that as a good sign.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Docket_Rocket

Z, we are doing Space Coast.  He is doing the HM, I'm of course, NOT doing the HM.Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

RD today. Right legs seem better though. On vacation to bring DS to buy kindergarten uniform. They grew up so fast.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Kristin, I have the same issue sometimes, it's hard to gauge.  I brought my insulated long sleeve with me for my long run yesterday, just in case, I figured if I was still cold after first loop (3 miles on the side trails which brings me back near the parking lot before heading down the main trail) that I could just stop at the car and put on the insulated shirt.  Turns out I didn't need it and was perfectly comfortable with just my long sleeve tech shirt, even with the wind.

SRD on the schedule, but I'll probably do a few recovery miles this evening.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

SheCan

Good morning this cold Monday!

Jerry-- Thank you, and good luck getting your miles in tonight-- hope its warmer and not snowing.

Stonefence-- at 11* they should pick your children up at your front door... just sayin...

kristin-- LOL@ being too bundled up for those temps.  Well glad you got some miles in, even sweaty ones.

Jimmy-- getting up at 3:45 am makes for a long day!

DR-- great job on the Cardio workout!

Lauren-- Its hard sometimes to stop when you're feeling good, but it's better to stop while ahead then to be forced into stopping because you've over done it-- been there,  Great job though for pushing yourself further, and getting in some good workouts.

Zelanie-- congratulations on your race yesterday, and very well written report.  Good luck staying awake through all those conferences.

obie-- glad it's slightly warmer.

Bin-- yes, they do grow up fast.  Sad   That's why you gotta enjoy em while you can.

Dave-- I like doing the loops too when it's cold, then I can zip by my house and stuff my extra clothing into the mailbox really quick before going on.

Today is rest day, and class day.  My legs are so happy for the day off.  Although our temps aren't as cold as y'alls, we did have real frost on the roofs today.  It definitely feels like the holidays are coming.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson