Beginners and Beyond

Mickey Mouse Wednesday Penguins (Read 19 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

What's up with this "Mickey Mouse" crappola at work these days?

I swear, working at a university, you sometimes have to deal with some real 'prima donas'....some of our faculty, I just don't know....they're like big babies if they don't get their way.  Don't get me wrong, just about everyone at the university where I work is really great, but there are a few....you just have to shake your head.  Oh well, this too shall pass.

AFM for running today:  Yay, our weather has 'cooled'.  It will be only 95 degrees today with a 'feels like' temp of only 97...so after a long hot summer and lot of early morning running, I will finally be able to do an after-work run today.  I am SO tired of running in the dark!  I might even actually get to SEE any Great Legs I inadvertently come across today during my run/walk. 

So what's going on for you today?  And what "Mickey Mouse" crap are you dealing with?

PADRunner

Morning Scotty and penguins to come.

6 this morning in the soup gym tonight.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Scotty and PAD.  Short run after work.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Pilates and 6 tonight.

Scotty, looks like your dewpoint was low being that the heat index was not too high.  Enjoy!

PAD, nice job on the run.

Jerry, enjoy the run!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Facilities management came in this morning and changed out my lightbulbs, so I am working in good lighting again!!  It's nice to be able to see my phone and what my fingers are typing.  He also swapped out five dead lights in my lab, so that's all good too.  I don't have either quartet or chorus rehearsal this week, so tonight I'm going to church choir practice, for a change.  Usually I just breeze in on Sunday for a run-through of the anthem and call it good.  But since I have the time, I should probably put a little practice in!

Scotty -- I am a faculty, and I suspect sometimes people think I am a big baby when I don't get my way!  After all, I want what I want when I want it, dangit!  Then I get thwarted by facilities folks who can't come for days, and companies that stop selling the product I ordered with no replacement, etc.  It's an imperfect world!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your soupy 6!!

Jerryb -- have a good short run!!

Docket -- enjoy your pilates and 6!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Scotty, hope you don't have to deal with too much Mickey Mouse stuff today.  Smile

Jerry and Damaris, have a good run tonight.

Hopesmom, enjoy your new lightbulbs!  Wink

PAD, nice 6.

URD for me - hubby and I decided last night that I need to get the pooch to the vet first thing this morning.  So I'm headed in without an appointment as soon as they open. Sad

Docket_Rocket

Brilliant, good luck with the pooch./  Please keep us posted!

Hope, yay for having lighting.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  I rocked my workout last night.  2 x 3 miles at 10 sec/mile faster than GMP.  It was Ginny's advice that really got me out the door "The whole thing will be slower than tempo pace, I can do that."  Perfect!  I feel like things are coming together at the right time.  Now I just need them to stay together for a month and change.

Brilliant - Hope the puppy dog is OK!

Bin Running

7 w/ 3 @ HM done. Wanted to do 9 w/ 6 @ HM but legs felt tired. So, doing a lesser version.

Signed up for FM on 07Dec. Big grin

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Brilliant

Thanks for the well wishes.  It's just some type of conjunctivitis.  But Dr Google warned me of impending blindness, etc., if we don't get him to the vet ASAP!  I called as soon as they opened; because it's not an emergency they asked me to make an appointment so he'll be going in later in the morning.  I hope they can get him feeling better quickly.

Bin - congrats on the FM signup; that's always exciting!

Zelanie - nice workout!  I'm glad you had that mental push from Ginny that helped.

Bin Running

Ginny, did the HM But with a big twist. Haa

Race started at 5am and I set alarm at 3:15. Overslept again (I overslept on this same race 2 yrs ago). Can't imagine I did it again. Woke up at 5:00 and wondered why the alarm didn't rang. The race was abt less than 2miles away. So, I just sprung up. Washed up and ran out of the door. Ran for abt 1M and join in the race. Total distance was just a little more than the HM. Took me 2:30 as there's some congestion due to the large number of runners. Considered it a LR with some fartlek in between.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

GinnyinPA

Bin - I can't imagine jumping up and trying to race without any time to wake up.  Yikes.  Where is your marathon?

Scotty - sorry you're running into MM faculty this week.  I hope it gets better.  I'm glad your humidity is down, though that heat is still too much for me.

PAD - good job on the humid six.  Enjoy the gym tonight.

Jerry - Enjoy your cool run this evening.

D - Have fun with the pilates and easy run this evening.  Do you do Pilates with a group or with a tape?  I have a tape, "Pilates for Dummies" which is very basic, but it helps.

HM - good lighting is essential.  We were in a motel this summer that had one 40 watt bulb for the entire room.  We had to use our camping head lamps to read.  Have fun rehearsing tonight.

Brilliant - good luck with your dog's eyes.  Ben had a problem last year because he loves to roll and he insisted on doing it in dust and sand when there was no grass. The dust got in his eyes and got infected.  He was pretty good about letting us put ointment in his eyes though and it healed quickly.  Definitely good to get to the vet ASAP.

Z - Good job on the run last night.  You've really rocked your training, I'm sure the race will go well too.

RD here.  The humidity is down a bit, so we're heading to one of the state parks for a short hike in the woods.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with the 6 in the soup, PAD. Running in soup, at least you won't get hungry.

Happy short run after work, Jerry.

"Pilate and run" is becoming your mantra, Damaris.  Good luck!

HsM, you are faculty?  Or STAFF?  At our university I am STAFF.  Faculty here is all the professors who teach and do research.  Only they get to be called 'faculty'.  The rest of us are designated as 'staff'.   Even the lab researchers, if they are not TEACHING as well as researching, are designated as 'staff.'   And, anyway, you are probably one of the GOOD faculty.    Have fun with your singing tonite.

Hope your doggie is okay, brilliant.  Wishing speedy healing for him.

December marathon, Bin...shouldn't you be on your training schedule already for it?    7 Decemember...that is "Pearl Harbor Day" in the US.

Hope you enjoyed the state park, Ginny!

I have a window by my desk - for now anyway, I won't have that luxury when my office moves into our new digs at the main campus in October - and I can see dark clouds moving in.  Figures, since I chose to run after work today. You watch...that darn rain will probably hit right at my running time.

Oh yeah, everyone put this on their calendar in advance - Sep 28 is Drink A Beer Day.  Be prepared and act accordingly. 

Docket_Rocket

Ginny, I take private classes at a studio that uses Classic Pilates equipment.  Or as I like to call them, torture devices.  I have put some pictures here but I'll see if I can find some more for you tonight.

Bin, man, that race is cursed!  great job; I would have just done it by myself later and kept sleeping.

Z, great job!

Brilliant, hope they can help the poor baby.

Damaris

Fundraising Page