Beginners and Beyond

Raining ThursDailies (Read 24 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Well, raining in NJ at least.  Ran 10 with the middle 7 at HMP.  The rain didn't start until about 2 miles into the run and it's pretty warm, so the rain didn't bother me except it made the streets slick for a while so I didn't have full traction.  Once the roads were really wet, it wasn't an issue.  I had to slow down more than I like on a couple of the hills as the humidity was getting to me, but I made it up on the downhills.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Workday 2.5 flat, ouchie ouchie ouchie, even going extra slow.  No wiggly roadcrown hill today as doing yesterday after dirt bumps tattooed my right leg… tattooed it just as bad as if I had gone to PT at Farouk’s House of Pain😮

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I ran 6 between outside and the TM. Pilates tonight.

Just saw it's been confirmed Biden will require all government employees to vaccinate and will remove the testing option.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

6 miles at what could generously be considered recovery pace.

Dave

KCRuns

4 miles on the treadmill

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

My company's local office had a 9/11 remembrance today.  The company had an office in the north tower that day (it was before I joined the company, but I now work with people who were there that day).  The company lost 13 people that day.  Several survivors, people I know and work with, spoke about their experience, some quite shakily.  I'd never heard them speak of their experience before.  It was really moving and I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to focus on work right now.  One thing all of them said was "Try to talk about your experiences as it will help you heal."  Wise words.

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

ran an easy 5 followed by a short leg workout then off to an 8am meeting in "The D." Since last Thursday was an off day, and I ran this Thursday because I probably won't run much this weekend, my rolling 7 days hit 65. Makes me feel like Dave and Baboon! At least for a day...

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

My company's local office had a 9/11 remembrance today.  The company had an office in the north tower that day (it was before I joined the company, but I now work with people who were there that day).  The company lost 13 people that day.  Several survivors, people I know and work with, spoke about their experience, some quite shakily.  I'd never heard them speak of their experience before.  It was really moving and I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to focus on work right now.  One thing all of them said was "Try to talk about your experiences as it will help you heal."  Wise words.

I was in San Francisco that morning. My wife actually came with me on that trip. I went for an early short run and I think the news was reporting a "fire" at the WTC. When I returned the second plane had hit. I think the conference I was attending cancelled that morning. It took us until the weekend to be able to get a flight home. Worse places to get stuck but it was weird. I feel for anyone who was there or lost someone.

sdWhiskers

No run this morning due to a 615am appt for a root canal  Still dealing with the aftermath of my crown falling out during that terrible HM in July. Will fit a run in later today, most likely when it's high of 84F.

I had never flown on a plane before 9/11 so didn't really experience the drastic changes that happened at the airports afterwards. I was a sophomore in college during 2001.

Cyberic

My closest childhood friend was scheduled to get married. They lived in Chicago but they were getting married where she grew up and where most of her family lived, in Bergen County NJ, across the river from Manhattan. Their wedding date was 9/15/2001. So that was something. They stuck to the date, and plenty from her side were there, but virtually no one from his side. With the exception of his mom and sister/BIL (with their newborn) who drove in together from Chicago, and his brother who drove in from GA. DW & I were planning to fly in from MI and meet other friends from Chicago, and spend the weekend touring NYC. Of course the whole world was in a state of uncertainty throughout that week; for a while we thought maybe we'd end up driving and/or just for the wedding and/or just me. But we ended up blowing it off. I felt pretty bad, this was a guy I'd known my entire life. But that first week was so crazy - no one knew, were we being invaded, were we at war, or what? We thought best to just stay put. My parents were going to drive in from Chicago to watch our kids, but they were pretty reluctant to travel too.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

No run this morning due to a 615am appt for a root canal  Still dealing with the aftermath of my crown falling out during that terrible HM in July. Will fit a run in later today, most likely when it's high of 84F.

I had never flown on a plane before 9/11 so didn't really experience the drastic changes that happened at the airports afterwards. I was a sophomore in college during 2001.

Oh young one lol. My husband once arrived for his flight with 3 mins to spare (connection was at JFK and he didn’t check he was leaving via LGA 🤦‍♀️) and they opened the closed Airplane door for him. That never happens anymore. 

I also remember seeing people off at the gate. My mom and MIL said goodbye like that when we left and also received us back at the gate after we came back from HI. I think I miss that the most (seeing people off at the gate).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I also remember seeing people off at the gate. My mom and MIL said goodbye like that when we left and also received us back at the gate after we came back from HI. I think I miss that the most (seeing people off at the gate).

+1

I also remember at JFK the international arrivals building had a balcony over the customs area where you could look through glass to spot your family members waiting on line and wave to them.  They long ago replaced the clear glass with opaque plastic.

KCRuns

I miss this part, too!

I lived in Nashville at the time and was substitute teaching 2nd grade that day.  School started before the first plane hit, and we went into lockdown after the second plane hit, but no one told us why we were in lockdown.  There were no TVs in the classroom, so I didn't know what happened until much later in the morning when parents started showing up to take their kids out of class.

The seeing off and/or meeting people at the gate was particularly useful if you have kids just old enough to fly on their own, but not quite ready to negotiate heir way through the airport on their own. Also I have a fond memory of coming back from a weeklong business trip, when DW met me at the gate with DD who was a toddler at the time; DD sees me getting off the plane and just starts running towards me to give me a big hug.

I also miss not taking off my shoes and removing my little baggie full of liquids, but at least TSA Precheck has taken care of that and is a godsend.

Dave