Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's Donut FRIDAILY (Read 23 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

From the Internet.

Morning Jerry and other pens yet to come.

Kitty is doing SO much better without the fluid in her chest. Much more active and alert. We have a surgical consult at 9:30. I bit the bullet and applied for a second vet-bills credit card and set up a GoFundMe page - husband is not willing to go into more debt for her, especially since we'll start paying off my student loans fairly soon, and I'm not willing to let her die if I can help it, so that seemed like a good compromise.

My Achilles is not super happy about All Star Week, I'll run a few miles later on if it's feeling OK, otherwise rest day. I am so drained, I could use the rest.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I'll take chocolate.

Short run planned for me.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hope the consult goes well, Lauren.  Bad timing on All Star week.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all. Hydrating and then I'll head out for a bit of run. The girls in heels weren't too pleased last night when my super fit (and drunk) bachelorette sister insisted that we all walk the 1.5 miles to the bar Smile but the bachelorette gets what she wants. I'm amazed she did that walk in 3 inch (maybe 4?) heels.

Lauren - you've gotta do what you can for your fur baby.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  RD for me.

Lauren, thinking of the kitty.  Keep us posted!

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Chorus last night was good, although the management team meeting afterwards ran a smidge long -- the new team was ready to hit the ground running, but the old team was chatty.  Oh well, it's all good.  And I laughed, because the minutes from the old team meetings were short and totally uninformative.  I'm the secretary now as well as the team coordinator, and I took three pages of notes!!  Anyway, I'm VERY glad it's Friday!

Lauren -- I totally understand about the $$!!  Hope's surgery was about $3k, and it bought us about three months.  I still think it was worth the cost.

Jerryb -- LOVE me some donuts!!  We have a Duck Donuts in town now, and I'm fond of the maple-iced topped with coconut.  Also the peanut-butter iced drizzled with chocolate.

sapf -- I would've been pulling off those heels and hiking barefoot!!

Docket -- have a good RD!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Rest day. 10 mile race tomorrow.

Yesterday, nothing went as planned. Overslept (WAY overslept) this morning so no run (I apparently have really needed sleep this week but I'm also kinda sick so I guess that's why) but I knew I was getting home from work an hour and 15 mins before my personal training session at the gym so I figured I'd run my planned 3-3.5 miles and go right to the gym. Turns out there was an escaped criminal less than half a mile from my apartment and SWAT team and police and police helicopters everywhere. So I decided to go to the gym and use treadmill. By the time I got on the TM only had time for a mile before seeing trainer. Ran my mile then my trainer gave me the hardest workout of my life. I was so wiped at the end of the hour I could only muster another mile....very slowly. So only 2 on the day yesterday.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow, sounds like TOO exciting an evening!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Thanks for starting us off, Jerry, wish you hadn't mentioned the donuts though! 

Lauren, I'm glad kitty is feeling better

Jill, don't get too crazy with the bachelorette stuff. Big grin  (advice from someone who's headed for Vegas later... Big grin )

Damaris, enjoy the rest.

HopesMom, you sound like a very conscientious secretary - 3 pages of notes!  Smile

Kristin - crazy!  Did they catch the guy?

Well, I am cleared to run again!  The ortho is sure it was just a bruise, and since I'm feeling 100%, no need for further tests.  I ran 5 miles yesterday afternoon and am going to run another 6 or so this morning in a bit.  I feel like I've gained weight in just the 11 days that I didn't run.  I tried to control it, but my appetite didn't seem to go down at all!  Then, I am headed for Vegas for the weekend.  I'm not a big drinker or gambler, but I like to walk around the strip, and I like buffets, and I get to see my sis who's a poker dealer there, and her 23 yo boyfriend (why yes my sis is 44 and they've been dating more than a year, who'd have thunk it).  Good times.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great news, Brilliant!

Hope, sounds like a great night!

Damaris

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Apparently they caught him

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Brilliant - terrific news for you.  Have fun in Vegas.  It will probably be too hot to do much walking there, but it's always fun to people watch.

Hopesmom - better too many details than none at all.

Lauren - I'm glad your kitty is doing so much better.

Jerry - you'll need a couple of miles at least to work off the chocolate donut.

sapf - ouch on walking in heels.  That's why I never wear them.

D - enjoy your RD.

Kristin - exciting evening. Did they catch the bad guy?  Good luck with your race tomorrow.

AFM:  probably a rest day here.  We have company coming this weekend so I really should clean the house today.  Or we may go for a short hike instead.

From the Internet.

Whoa! Crazy evening Kristin!

Thanks for the continued support everyone <3 We just got back from our surgical consult, it is very very possible that we're dealing with a thymoma (which is a type of BENIGN!!!! tumor) but which still needs to come out or the fluid is just going to keep building up in her chest. Also still possible that it's lymphoma, we could aspirate cells from the mass and analyze them but it's would cost ~$400+ and because thymoma and small cell lymphoma would be indistinguishable, it's going to be better just to do the surgery and biopsy the mass after it's out. Estimated cost nearly knocked me out of my chair - anywhere from $3808 to $4770, depending on how many days she needs to spend in the hospital. Surveying my house for anything and everything I can sell, keeping up with the GoFundMe, and going from there. While it would obviously be better to do the surgery sooner rather than later, keeping a watchful eye on her for a week or two while I try to figure it out is not going to be a huge deal at this point. If she starts to have trouble breathing again we'll just have to go to our vet for another chest tap.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.5 for us. Yesterday we were soaked, taking gels and lots of water, today we are in long sleeves and hats (soaked anyway).

Brill, DD and DSIL are at the Wynn.  Say hi.

Good luck with the 10 miler, Kristin.