Beginners and Beyond

Massage (Read 78 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Much to my dismay, I am not a millionaire who can afford to get a massage every other day should it strike my fancy.  So I was wondering... is it more beneficial to get a massage before a race or after one?

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

I agree with you on the cost and be that as it may, I get mine 48 hours before a goal race.

My reasoning behind it is while it may feel great and do a good job of flushing out toxins after a race, I want to feel great and have no toxins before a race.  Especially after hard training.

The effects are magnified if it coincides with a taper, for me anyway.

My cost is $25 for a half hour and $35 for an hour, and while the hour massage is awesome I have found that 30 minutes spent on my lower back, hamstrings, thighs and calves to really be all that I need to feel my best when I toe the line.

Being a hobby jogger none of it probably matters but hey, it matters to me.

happylily

I would go with a couple of days before also. Although for me, it's more in the middle, or 3/4 along the way of my training that I would really benefit from a massage, when my body is screaming for me to put a stop to this insanity. But unfortunately, like blue, I am not a millionaire. And unlike where LRB lives, massages around here are between $75 and $100 for 50 minutes and I simply cannot justify it. Last time I had one was two years ago...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

StepbyStep-SH

My therapist is $55 for an hour, and I try to get one midway through the week before a race. I do try to go in once a month for "routine maintenance." I consider that my self-indulgent splurge, since I don't spend money on hair cuts/color/curl or makeup.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Docket_Rocket

Wow, LRB. If it would cost me $25-35 I would have one every week.

I prefer it before if I cannot afford both before and after.  It relaxes me for the race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

catwhoorg

Labrat

I would prefer one after, to help work out the kinks.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

#artbydmcbride

I like it before a race, to get any knots or trigger points smoothed out.

Runners run

bluerun

Super B****

I would PREFER one at least once a week, but... that isn't going to happen.  Nice as it would be to work out the kinks after the race, I guess it's better to have less of them so that I can work them out myself!  I've booked one for tomorrow (the race is on Sunday), and I'm sure it will hurt like hell.  Can't wait.

And LRB -- $35 for an hour?!  At that price, I'd get one every other week!!

chasing the impossible

Birdwell

Nice thread. It inspired me to check out my area for licensed massage therapists. I've had some lingering tightness for the last few months and I think it's time to get it addressed.

There is a massage therapy school a few blocks down that offers 50 minute massages in the $25-45 range, and 70 minute massages for $35-50 (the lower price are by students, the higher prices by LMT)

I think I may schedule one this week. Any particular type you folks recommend?

I'm a massage newby.

Hip Redux

Look for someone who does sports or deep tissue massage.  Stay away from Swedish massage, unless you just want to relax.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Mine is covered by insurance so I just pay my co-pay (I schedule through my chiropractor).

Personally I like one after a race. I've had them the same week as a hard workout or race and I do not run well with a too-loose, jello-y feeling in my legs. I would not get one 4 days or less before a race, but that's just me. I like my muscles to feel a bit tightly wound, like a coiled spring.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

LRB

I get deep tissue as well which is not pleasant but I feel like a million bucks the next day.

I have no issues with looseness afterwards but I can dig it.

Interesting thought regarding insurance.  Mine are at my chiro as well, Imma look into that!

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I get deep tissue as well which is not pleasant but I feel like a million bucks the next day.

I have no issues with looseness afterwards but I can dig it.

Interesting thought regarding insurance.  Mine are at my chiro as well, Imma look into that!

I am pretty sure they bill it as PT type something-or-other! Worth looking into.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

bluerun

Super B****

I am pretty sure they bill it as PT type something-or-other! Worth looking into.

I tried that… I love my massage therapist, but when my PT clinic started offering massages, I totally would have started using them for that too if my insurance covered it.  No go.

Apparently insurance companies prefer to shell out larger amounts of money to fix things than smaller amounts on preventive stuff.  Their call.

chasing the impossible

LRB

It depends on the coverage.  My last plan was chiro friendly which was of no use to me.  My new one has a little of chiro and PT in it so there is some balance there. Definitely worth a phone call.