Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins It's Time To Right, Left, Repeat (Read 186 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Now for the non-important question of the day - Do you start your runs with your right foot, or your left foot? I use the right. I actually had a dream last night that I was running again!

Yesterday was leg workout at the gym. I changed as many exercises over to one-legged versions as I could. Twenty minute shake-out ride on the bike trainer and bodyweight and core stuff at home.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

His Slowness

Happy Hump Day Gustav and Penguins!  I start with my left most of the time.  I got in a short easy run this morning in the light rain.  Trying to get back on track after the disruptions of the holidays and a really hectic time at work.

Bill

Good morning Gustav!  Morning fellow penguins!

5.75 miles done! It was supposed to be 6 but my running buddy was only doing 5 and she was waiting for me so I figured I can add the other .25 onto tomorrow's run.  

QOTD:  I have no clue what foot I start my runs on.  Thanks, now I'll be paying attention to that. Clowning around

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Gustav and Penguins.  I think I start on the right foot, but I'll check next run.

....and Bill and Steph.

Docket_Rocket

Morning! I have 4-5 recovery miles tonight.

I also do not know with which foot I start running.

Have a nice day!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Gustav - good morning!

Bill - "ain't that the truth."  Man...  it's amazing how the holidays can turn things sideways regarding work.

Steph - great run

Jerry - mornin'!

Damaris - have a great day and great run

AFM - SRD - 4 miles on the trails last night went well.  Then sushi for dinner - oh man... I think I have sushi-hang over.  I stuffed myself to the gills.  (he he)   I believe I start primarily on the right foot but it isn't a conscious decision, just the way I start out I guess.   I am off to teach.  Later!

3.5 hill workout this morning done!!! Now a shower is in my very near future!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning. I don't know which foot I start on! When I run again I need to notice! Rest today. No gym, no foam rolling. I think I rolled too much or too hard yesterday because I gave myself pins and needles all down my leg (anyone ever heard of this?!). Grumble.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow, some major rain around San Antonio.  It's been raining nonstop since yesterday,  and this morning it is REALLY coming down, can't even see across the street at times.  Some streets are flooded, lots of roads blocked due to 'high water crossing areas".  I came to work really early - got here at 5 a.m. - so I could take it nice and easy on the drive and not have a lot of traffic around me.

I did run at Fort Sam Houston yesterday after work.  Luckily, the rain was not very heavy at that time (5 PM) but it was consistent enough to get me thoroughly soaked by the time I finished.  Thankfully it was warm (51 degree) and felt even warmer with the 100% humidity we had out there, very 'steamy'!  I did 3.6 miles of hills.   Got back to the gym all soaked and went into the Treadmill Room - nice and warm in there -  to do my post-run stretches and a couple of my running buds in there were doing their runs on the TM and were like "Dang, Scotty, you look like one very wet dog, you really DON'T like running on the TM, do you?"  No, I don't!  I'm the "Postman" runner - rain, snow, cold, warm, cloudy, or shine, it's outside running for me!  Big grin  The only TM running I do is when my doc puts me on it for that 'stress test' thing for my annual physical.  And that only because there are people there medical people there to catch me and treat me immediately  if the room starts spinning around.  Otherwise...hell no! Joking

Today is a running rest day, plan to go do my weight training circuit at the university gym after work.

I chatted with my doc yesterday too and we came to a kind of compromise.  This past year I've been running 5 days a week (Tue-Wed-Thur-Sat-Sun) but will go back to the 4-days-a-week I used to do (Tues-Thurs-Sat-Sun) to give my back a bit more of a rest from the pounding running tends to give it, and then she will not scold me, lol, if I go a bit overboard on doing races.  Works for me!   She wants me to get in the pool a bit more - very good for the back - so I'll turn one of my non-running days into a pool running day.

Left foot for me, Gustav.  Very superstitious about it too, lol.  I even put my left sock and shoe on first too.  After a colonoscopy, when I was in the recovery room, one of the med-techs in there was trying to put my slippers on to get me up and about and me, in my still anesthetic groggy state, kept kicking at her.  She finally went to the waiting room and told Gail I was being obstinate.  Gail told her 'You have to put his LEFT slipper on first."  lol.

Way to go on your run, Bill.  I can relate to the light rain.  Hope your hectic work time calms down.

Congrats on the miles, Steph.  Hey, if you video yourself and post it, I'll be glad to watch you run to see which foot you start with.  What are friends for?  And, of course, I will only watch your feet.  whistle

Always a good thing to start out on the 'right foot', Jerry. Wink

Good luck with your miles, Damaris.  As for the feet...see my note to Steph.

Congrats on your trail run, Vance!  What do you teach?   Sushi....Dead...blech....how people can eat that stuff....

Sounds like you might have bothered some 'nerve endings'  Kristin, maybe from rolling so hard? Hope it's feeling okay now.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Philliefan33

Mmm, I don't know if I always start with the same foot or not.

My six miles last night turned into a regular wildlife safari.  I saw 24 deer (in 5 different groups), 4 male bluebirds lined up on a fence, and a fox hunting for his dinner in the meadow.  Scotty, the deer around here are very polite -- not at all llike your deer.  They watched me shuffle by, and not one of them tried to knock me over.

5 miles planned for tonight.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Kristi careful on those hills! I kniw every body is different and has different muscle imbalances, strengths, weaknesses, gait, ect but my issues started from a hilly run, and I had been doing more hills in general which apparently my body didn't like. The general consensus of my friends who are PTs is that me running both more miles and more hills in combo with hip weakness and other biomechanical stuff (over pronating, imbalance between quads and hamstrings, ect) caused ITBS for me....but the trigger was all the hills.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty, the deer around here are very polite -- not at all llike your deer.  They watched me shuffle by, and not one of them tried to knock me over.

Well, dang, where's the fun in that? Joking

Oh, I missed Kristi in my personals, sorry about that!  Congrats on your miles and the hills!  Happy showering.  Now, see, if you had run your hills in the rain like I did, you would have gotten your run and shower at the same time. Big grin

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

PS obviously not saying no one should do hills, just to be smart. I don't want anyone else injured!