Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins It's Time To Right, Left, Repeat (Read 186 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - When you get back to running, you're going to be in amazing shape from the sounds of it.  Just remember impact is something you can't cross train for, and ease your way back into it.  I have a feeling you're going to feel like you can run for days.

Bill - The holidays kind of put a halt to my weight loss, but other than that they weren't too bad.  A little interruption can be a good thing though.  I'm slowly learning the value of rest :-)

Steph - If you partner wanted 5, and you wanted 6, and the end result was 5.75, that sounds like you won that negotiation.  Ever think of running for congress?

Jerry - I'm going to start with a hop tonight.  That way both feet will feel as if they kicked off the run.

Damaris - Try starting each mile with a different foot ;-)

N-Bug - I tried running AFTER sushi one night.  It was great for about a mile, but then I felt like I was eating sushi for the next 4 miles.  It wasn't as good the second time.

Kristi - LOL...sounds like you're making a psychic prediction about showering.  You can get on daytime talk shows.

Kristin - Rolling too intensely?  You're hardcore!  Enjoy the rest.

Scotty - That sounds like a great compromise.  I actually thought about that, but didn't want to get between someone and their doctor.  They are a lot more educated than I am.

Phillie - That sounds like a really awesome run.  Anytime I can see leaves falling, snow, wildlife, etc on my run, that's a win.  Sure beats staring at the gym parking lot from a treadmill.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

I have no idea which leg did I step off with.  But now,  I'll pay more attention.

Done 7M with 10x100 strides today. I started too fast and was running abt my HMP by first Miles.  Felt pretty tough. Must had did it wrongly. Haa

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

OH AFM - I have 8 miles scheduled for tonight.  The knee is feeling great with the reintroduction of non-running days.  5 days a week seems to be my limit at this point in my career.  Still hovering around 40 mpw though.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  It was cold by the time I got home, so I bailed on my run again.  At least I got my swim in!  Tonight I'm auditioning for a quartet, so I'll be home quite late.  Then tomorrow is chorus rehearsal, and then Saturday is chorus coaching from 9-4.  I'll be getting in my singing exercise this week!!

Gustav -- I think I usually start on my left foot.  But now I'm not sure ... hmm ...

Bill -- woo-hoo for your rainy run!!

Steph -- congrats on your miles!!

Jerryb -- good morning!!

Docket -- have a good recovery run!!

N-Bug -- not a big sushi fan.  You can have my share!!

Kristi -- woo-hoo for your hill workout!!

kristin -- no advice on the pins and needles.  Enjoy your RD!!

scottydog -- I think you were swimming yesterday, not running!!

Phillie -- glad your deer were polite!!

awood -- good morning!!

Bin -- laughing at you feeling all badass and so figuring you did it wrong!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Morning, penguins!  My running partner couldn't make it last night, so I ended up doing my MLR last night because I needed miles the most, and will do my V02Max tonight.  Hopefully it stops pouring.  And I have no idea what foot I start with.  I don't know if I would change it accidentally by paying attention, either.

Scotty- I'm glad you and your doc came to a compromise that works for you!

Bill-  Good to see you again!

Kristin- I gave myself huge bruises with the roller when my IT band was pretty tight.  And I want to say pins and needles maybe once?  The good news is now that they're not tight, rolling doesn't hurt anymore.

HsM- Good luck on your audition!

Everyone else- have a good day!

Kristi careful on those hills! I kniw every body is different and has different muscle imbalances, strengths, weaknesses, gait, ect but my issues started from a hilly run, and I had been doing more hills in general which apparently my body didn't like. The general consensus of my friends who are PTs is that me running both more miles and more hills in combo with hip weakness and other biomechanical stuff (over pronating, imbalance between quads and hamstrings, ect) caused ITBS for me....but the trigger was all the hills.

Thanks for the concern Kristin! Living in the adirondack mountains of upstate NY hills are just an everyday thing! Plus my half is full of hills so I increase the amount of hill training a little every week!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

From the Internet.

Left foot for me, Gustav.  Very superstitious about it too, lol.  I even put my left sock and shoe on first too.  After a colonoscopy, when I was in the recovery room, one of the med-techs in there was trying to put my slippers on to get me up and about and me, in my still anesthetic groggy state, kept kicking at her.  She finally went to the waiting room and told Gail I was being obstinate.  Gail told her 'You have to put his LEFT slipper on first."  lol.

Too funny Scotty! LOL. Glad you were able to come to a compromise with your doc Smile

I'm pretty sure I always start with my right. I'm very strongly right-handed and tend to favor that side for pretty much everything (hence why I now have to work that left side to get it stronger before I can run again!)

I did 30 minutes on the exercise bike yesterday afternoon.. it was about a million degrees in the gym, I was sweating like a beast and silly me, wore light blue shorts - pretty sure it looked like I peed my pants when I was done Blush I was trying to figure out why I was so exhausted while I was at the gym but then I remembered I did my weight routine in the morning before work. Whoops. Mostly-rest day today since I need it after doubling up yesterday, just my PT exercises.

I have to say, it was SO. HARD. not to just jump on the treadmill for a few minutes halfway through my sentence on the bike. Fortunately I got a little well-timed muscle twinge in my shin that reminded me to be patient. It's going to be a huge test of willpower not to run for another week or two - hopefully it'll be closer to one week than two!

Phillie, that's a lot of wildlife! Big grin

hog4life

Hey everyone! Got my 5.4 done in the rain and 52 degrees, shorts and short sleeves, 9:17  OA pace.

Margo, that is a lot of deer, wow.

I think hills are good but can be hurtful too. I ended with severe shin splints once while going down hill way to fast, like out-of-control too fast, almost face planted!

Happy Wednesday, everyone!!

RD for me. Thanks for all the birthday wishes yesterday. It was a fun day! Today I got my birthday present in the mail. (Thanks, Traci! I'm happy to say it arrived safe and sound!) I'm super excited to try it out. Smile

Scotty - I'm glad you were able to work out an agreement with your doctor so you can keep racing. It's obvious from your race reports that it brings you so much joy, so I am glad you are able to keep getting out there! I hope the spinal arthritis slows down enough that you can keep going for a long, long time.

Traci - I hope you and your family are feeling better!

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!!

Crazy week so far.  URD yesterday, 7 miles done this morning.

No more 5k for me this weekend, have to work.  No biggie, I'll find another one.

Hope everyone is doing well!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

LEFT!!

I have a six mile tempo run at a 7:50 pace on tap for later.

I hope you are all doing well.

SheCan

Quick non-important answer-- IDK....I don't think I've ever thought about it.  I'm walking until I'm running, and am not even sure which is my first step from walk to run anyway.

Hi and Hi everyone!

Gustav- again I must say, your non-run workouts sound much harder than anything I do.

KristiR-  great job getting that hill workout in!

Scotty- good for you for getting that run in yesterday when you could.  Glad you found a happy medium with your doctor.  Who knows, you might really start to enjoy those pool sessions.

Philliefan-  what a neat run you had last night!  I see a lot of polite deer around here, too, but I think about 10ish was the most I've seen on on run.  Would love to see a fox--- nonhuman variety.

kristin-  I think your warning about hills is very right on. I can only do so much, and try to never push to my maximum while doing them.  I've have a friend who ended up having some serious pain after too many hill workouts, and had to stop running for a couple of months.

bin running-  you ARE tough, good job!

Awood- glad your knee is doing well.  You'll get those miles up eventually.

HOpesMom- good luck at your audition!

Lauren-  good for you for doing the bike.  Your patience will pay off.

Jack K- that's quite a pace!  Have fun on your tempo run.

I did a quicker paced 6 miles this morning (Jack's walking pace)  and rushed home to bring my friend to her doctor's appointment.  When I got back I was supposed to go out to the school with my daughter to pick up her books for this semester, but she's went back to bed!  So that's why I'm here with you all!

Take care for now everyone!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Bin - It sounds like you started with your fast foot.  It happens.

Hopesmom - Singing, swimming and running.  Talk about talent!

Zel - Wasn't the little girl in The Crow that said, "It can't rain all the time."?  Good to see you're being flexible with your schedule, and getting in some good workouts.

Lauren - It drives me nutty how warm the keep our gym.  I've seriously been playing with the idea of taking my own fan for the treadmill when I don't have any other choice to get my run in.

Mitch - I'd be happy with every aspect of that run right now...lol  Luckily, we're going to get some warmer sunnier weather this weekend.  They let the snow on the roads get to the point that they couldn't clear it.  It's just packed and too deep.  It thaws a bit during the day, and by night it's freezing over again.  It's like trying to run on a hockey rink.

MNMickey - I always celebrate my b-day for several days.  Enjoy it.  It only comes once a year.

Dave - You're getting 5K obsessed...lol  You're going to turn into the 20 minute version of Scotty.

Jack - Enjoy the tempo run.  I love tempo runs, and I just had my fiance do her first ever the other day.  She hated it, but I told her that over time she'll appreciate it, and probably like it.

She Can - Great job on the 6 miles.  It sounds like you've cornered the market on ambition in your house :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

SheCan

She Can - Great job on the 6 miles.  It sounds like you've cornered the market on ambition in your house :-)

Ugh, I know!  That's what I'm scared of!   :-P

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, so now I have plane tickets, a car reservation, and theme park tickets for our Disney/Universal Studios vacation next month!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.